Affiliation: University of California
- Variations in healthcare access and utilization among Mexican immigrants: the role of documentation statusArturo Vargas Bustamante
Department of Health Services, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 14:146-55. 2012..The recently approved Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will not reduce these disparities unless undocumented immigrants are granted some form of legal status...
- Heterogeneity in health insurance coverage among US Latino adultsArturo Vargas Bustamante
UCLA School of Public Health, 650 Charles E Young Drive South Room 31 299C, Box 951772, Los Angeles, CA, 90095, USA
J Gen Intern Med 24:561-6. 2009..Our hypothesis was that Latinos of Mexican ancestry have worse health insurance coverage than their non-Mexican Latino counterparts...
- Documentation status and parental concerns about development in young US children of Mexican originAlexander N Ortega
Departments of Health Services, School of Public Health, Institute for Social Research, University of California, Los Angeles, 2134 Rolfe Hall, Los Angeles, California 90095 1484, USA
Acad Pediatr 9:278-82. 2009..To examine parent concerns about development, learning, and behavior for young children of Mexican origin, and to identify whether these reports differ by families' citizenship/documentation status...
- Lifetime and 12-month intermittent explosive disorder in LatinosAlexander N Ortega
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Am J Orthopsychiatry 78:133-9. 2008....
- Health care access, use of services, and experiences among undocumented Mexicans and other LatinosAlexander N Ortega
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:2354-60. 2007..We compared access to health care, use of services, and health care experiences for Mexicans and other Latinos by citizenship and immigrant authorization status...
- Persistence of mental health service use among Latino children: a clinical and community studyAlexander N Ortega
Department of Health Services and Center for Healthier Children, Families and Communities, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Adm Policy Ment Health 34:353-62. 2007..In multivariate analyses, persistence was associated in both the clinical and community samples with a measure of school functioning but not with diagnosis, impairment, or parental concerns about the child's behavior...
- Co-occurrence of mental and physical illness in US LatinosAlexander N Ortega
Dept of Health Services, University of California Los Angeles, School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 41:927-34. 2006..We examined the co-occurrence of anxiety and depression with prevalent physical chronic illnesses in a representative sample of Latinos with national origins from Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico, and other Latin American countries...
- Denial and its association with mental health care use: a study of island Puerto RicansAlexander N Ortega
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 32:320-31. 2005....
- Race/ethnicity, language, and asthma care: findings from a 4-state surveyMoira Inkelas
Department of Health Services, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Public Health, Center for Healthier Children, Families, and Communities, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 100:120-7. 2008..Latino and African American children have poorer asthma control than non-Latino white children, but few studies examine the association among race/ethnicity, language, and specific processes of asthma care...
- Unmet mental health need and access to services for children with special health care needs and their familiesMoira Inkelas
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, UCLA Center for Healthier Children, Families, and Communities, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Ambul Pediatr 7:431-8. 2007....
- Mental health and substance use disorders among Latino and Asian American lesbian, gay, and bisexual adultsSusan D Cochran
Department of Epidemiology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 75:785-94. 2007..However, the level of morbidity among sexual orientation minorities in the NLAAS appears similar to or lower than that observed in population-based studies of lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults...
- Access to and utilization of health care by subgroups of Latino childrenVictor H Perez
Center for Healthier Children, Families and Communities, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Med Care 47:695-9. 2009..Few studies have examined patterns and determinants of access to and use of health care for different subgroups of Latino children...
- Understanding observed and unobserved health care access and utilization disparities among US Latino adultsArturo Vargas Bustamante
University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Med Care Res Rev 66:561-77. 2009..Although a significant share of these disparities may be explained by observed characteristics, disparities because of unobserved heterogeneity among the different Latino cohorts are also considerable...
- Effective recruitment and retention of minority research participantsAntronette K Yancey
Department of Health Services and Center to Eliminate Health Disparities, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Annu Rev Public Health 27:1-28. 2006..We then characterized the current state of this literature, discussing implications for future research needs and directions...
- Racial and ethnic disparities in pediatric experiences of family-centered careAlma D Guerrero
UCLA Center for Healthier Children, Families and Communities, University of California Los Angeles, 10990 Wilshire Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Med Care 48:388-93. 2010....
- Use of preventive care services among Latino subgroupsArturo Vargas Bustamante
University of California Los Angeles School of Public Health, 90095 1772, USA
Am J Prev Med 38:610-9. 2010..Most of this work, however, pools Latinos together when they compare different racial and ethnic groups. There is currently no information about the consistency of preventive care utilization across major Latino subgroups...
- The effect of neonatal intensive care level and hospital volume on mortality of very low birth weight infantsJudith H Chung
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of California, Irvine, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Med Care 48:635-44. 2010..To determine the adjusted effect of hospital level of care and volume on mortality of very low birth weight (VLBW) infants in the state of California, where deregionalization of perinatal care has occurred...
- Childhood asthma, chronic illness, and psychiatric disordersAlexander N Ortega
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Division of Health Policy and Administration, Yale University School of Medicine, 60 College Street, P O Box 208034, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8034, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 190:275-81. 2002..These results call for more mechanistic research that explores the specific relations between childhood anxiety disorder and asthma and between affective disorder and other pediatric chronic illnesses...
- Hispanic client-case manager matching: differences in outcomes and service use in a program for homeless persons with severe mental illnessAlexander N Ortega
Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Division of Health Policy and Administration, 60 College Street, P O Box 208034, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8034, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 190:315-23. 2002..These results do not support the hypothesis that ethnic and racial matching improves outcomes or service use. Several explanations are offered for the results...
- Comorbidity of asthma and anxiety and depression in Puerto Rican childrenAlexander N Ortega
Division of Health Behavior and Health Promotion, Ohio State University School of Public Health, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Psychosomatics 45:93-9. 2004..Possible explanations for the findings are discussed...
- Self-reliance, mental health need, and the use of mental healthcare among island Puerto RicansAlexander N Ortega
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8034, USA
Ment Health Serv Res 4:131-40. 2002..Our findings suggest that self-reliance is a significant and robust predictor of mental healthcare utilization among Puerto Ricans living in low-income areas of the island...
- Hispanic healthcare disparities: challenging the myth of a monolithic Hispanic populationRobin M Weinick
Office of Performance Accountability, Resources, and Technology, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, Maryland 20850, USA
Med Care 42:313-20. 2004..We examine the association between use of healthcare services and Hispanic Americans'country of ancestry or origin, language of interview, and length of time lived in the United States...
- Parental mental health, childhood psychiatric disorders, and asthma attacks in island Puerto Rican youthAlexander N Ortega
Division of Health Behavior and Health Promotion, The Ohio State University School of Public Health, Columbus, 43210, USA
Ambul Pediatr 4:308-15. 2004..This study aims to determine whether the associations between parental mental health problems and childhood asthma attacks persist after controlling for childhood anxiety and depression and other confounding factors...
- Impact of site of care, race, and Hispanic ethnicity on medication use for childhood asthmaAlexander N Ortega
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Pediatrics 109:E1. 2002..To understand the importance of source of care and other factors that influence differences in asthma medication use by race and Hispanic ethnicity...
- Comorbidity between asthma attacks and internalizing disorders among Puerto Rican children at one-year follow-upJonathan M Feldman
Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology, Yeshiva Univ, Rousso Building, 1300 Morris Park Ave, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Psychosomatics 47:333-9. 2006..These findings show that the association between internalizing disorders and asthma attacks was replicated 1 year later in the same sample...
- Asthma disparities in the prevalence, morbidity, and treatment of Latino childrenGlorisa Canino
University of Puerto Rico, Medical School San Juan, Puerto Rica
Soc Sci Med 63:2926-37. 2006..Finally, several suggestions for future research examining determinants that account for asthma disparities are examined...
- Association of psychiatric disorders and different indicators of asthma in island Puerto Rican childrenAlexander N Ortega
Yale University, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Division of Health Policy and Administration, 60 College Street, P O Box 208034, New Haven, CT 06520 8034, USA
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 38:220-6. 2003....
- Inequalities in use of specialty mental health services among Latinos, African Americans, and non-Latino whitesMargarita Alegria
Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Cambridge Health Alliance, 120 Beacon Street Fourth Floor, Somerville, MA 02143, USA
Psychiatr Serv 53:1547-55. 2002..The authors investigated whether there are disparities in the rates of specialty mental health care for Latinos and African Americans compared with non-Latino whites in the United States...
- Having issues with parental psychopathology and children's mental health risk and service useAlexander N Ortega
Med Care 41:702-5. 2003
- Oral health and use of dental services among HispanicsDenice C L Stewart
School of Dentistry, Oregon Health and Science University, 611 SW Campus Drive, Portland, OR 97201, USA
J Public Health Dent 62:84-91. 2002..This study examined factors related to oral health and dental service use among Mexican-Americans, Cuban-Americans, and Puerto Ricans from the Hispanic Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1982-84 (HHANES)...