Affiliation: University of California
- Wishing upon a STAR*D: the promise of ideal depression care by primary care providersMichael K Ong
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Psychiatr Serv 60:1460-2. 2009..Substantial reengineering of payment and delivery systems is needed in order for the STAR*D approach to be viable in primary care clinics...
- A remote monitoring and telephone nurse coaching intervention to reduce readmissions among patients with heart failure: study protocol for the Better Effectiveness After Transition - Heart Failure (BEAT-HF) randomized controlled trialJeanne T Black
Resource and Outcomes Management Department, Cedars Sinai Health System, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Trials 15:124. 2014....
- Effect of medicare part D benzodiazepine exclusion on psychotropic use in benzodiazepine usersMichael K Ong
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90024, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 60:1292-7. 2012..To evaluate the effect of the Medicare benzodiazepine coverage exclusion on psychotropic use of benzodiazepine users...
- Medicare Part D benzodiazepine exclusion and use of psychotropic medication by patients with new anxiety disordersMichael K Ong
Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles UCLA, 911 Broxton Ave, First Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Psychiatr Serv 63:637-42. 2012..This study evaluated the effect of the Medicare Part D benzodiazepine coverage exclusion among patients with new anxiety disorders...
- Primary care providers advising smokers to quit: comparing effectiveness between those with and without alcohol, drug, or mental disordersMichael K Ong
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, 911 Broxton Avenue, First Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 13:1193-201. 2011..This study evaluated the effectiveness of PCP smoking cessation counseling for smokers with ADM disorders...
- Looking forward, looking back: assessing variations in hospital resource use and outcomes for elderly patients with heart failureMichael K Ong
Departments of Medicine and Health Services, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2:548-57. 2009..This study examines the association between mortality and resource use at the hospital level, when all Medicare beneficiaries hospitalized for heart failure are examined...
- House staff team workload and organization effects on patient outcomes in an academic general internal medicine inpatient serviceMichael Ong
Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:47-52. 2007..However, few data describe how house staff workload on a patient's day of admission or on subsequent hospital days influences patient outcomes...
- Population stress and the Swedish sex ratioRalph Catalano
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 9420 7360, USA
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 19:413-20. 2005..Implications include that surveillance systems might monitor dispensing of anxiolytics and antidepressants as a marker for population stress thought to be a risk factor for adverse pregnancy outcomes such as preterm delivery...
- Terrorism-related fear and avoidance behavior in a multiethnic urban populationDavid P Eisenman
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, 911 Broxton Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1736, USA
Am J Public Health 99:168-74. 2009....
- Validity study of the K6 scale as a measure of moderate mental distress based on mental health treatment need and utilizationJudith J Prochaska
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, 94143 0984, USA
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 21:88-97. 2012..The findings support expanded use and analysis of the K6 scale in quantifying and examining correlates of mental distress at a moderate, yet still clinically relevant, level...
- The public health disaster trust scale: validation of a brief measureDavid P Eisenman
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Public Health Manag Pract 18:E11-8. 2012..Such a measure should be brief to be incorporated into assessments conducted by public health departments...
- Rationale and public health implications of changing CHD risk factor definitionsRobert M Kaplan
Departments of Health Services and Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Annu Rev Public Health 28:321-44. 2007..Estimates of the numbers of people affected, the cost implications, and the overall public health consequences are offered...
- Nurses' treatment of tobacco dependence in hospitalized smokers in three statesLinda Sarna
School of Nursing, University of California, Los Angeles, Box 956918, 700 Tiverton Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Res Nurs Health 35:250-64. 2012..Other aspects of their interventions did not differ by state. Quitline referral was infrequent (16%) but was quadrupled if nurses arranged for smokers to quit (OR 4.07, 95% CI [3.11, 5.32])...
- The benefits of switching smoking cessation drugs to over-the-counter statusTheodore E Keeler
Department of Economics, University of California, Berkeley 94720 3880, USA
Health Econ 11:389-402. 2002..8-2 billion dollars, based on conservative estimates both of the number of quits achieved and the value of added quality-adjusted life years from the reduced smoking...
- A time-series analysis of the effect of increased copayments on the prescription of antidepressants, anxiolytics, and sedatives in Sweden from 1990 to 1999Michael Ong
University of California, San Francisco, Division of General Internal Medicine, Ambulatory Care Center, 400 Parnassus Avenue, Box 0320, San Francisco, CA 94143 0320, USA
Clin Ther 25:1262-75. 2003..Outpatient prescription medication spending in Sweden has increased sharply since 1974. The Swedish government has raised copayments to reduce medication consumption and limit the growth of medication spending...
- Variations in disaster preparedness by mental health, perceived general health, and disability statusDavid P Eisenman
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1736, USA
Disaster Med Public Health Prep 3:33-41. 2009..We examined the relation between health status (mental health, perceived general health, and disability) and disaster preparedness (home disaster supplies and family communication plan)...
- A major state tobacco tax increase, the master settlement agreement, and cigarette consumption: the California experienceHai Yen Sung
Institute for Health and Aging, School of Nursing, University of California at San Francisco, 94118, USA
Am J Public Health 95:1030-5. 2005....