Richard M Novak
Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- Risk behavior among women enrolled in a randomized controlled efficacy trial of an adenoviral vector vaccine to prevent HIV acquisitionRichard M Novak
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60162, USA
AIDS 27:1763-70. 2013..Report of risk behavior, HIV incidence, and pregnancy rates among women participating in the STEP study, which is a phase IIB trial of MRKAd5 HIV-1 gag/pol/nef vaccine in HIV-negative individuals who were at high risk of HIV-1...
- Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome: incidence and implications for mortalityRichard M Novak
University of Illinois, Chicago, 60612, USA
AIDS 26:721-30. 2012..To describe incidence of immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (IRIS) and its association with mortality in a large multisite US HIV-infected cohort applying an objective, comprehensive definition...
- Cervicovaginal levels of lactoferrin, secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor, and RANTES and the effects of coexisting vaginoses in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-seronegative women with a high risk of heterosexual acquisition of HIV infectionRichard M Novak
University of Illinois at Chicago, 808 S Wood St, M C 735, Rm 888, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:1102-7. 2007..However, the increased RANTES levels in a higher-risk subset of high-risk women were reduced after BV treatment...
- Prevalence of antiretroviral drug resistance mutations in chronically HIV-infected, treatment-naive patients: implications for routine resistance screening before initiation of antiretroviral therapyRichard M Novak
University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Clin Infect Dis 40:468-74. 2005..However, it is unclear to what extent these mutations persist in chronically infected, treatment-naive patients...
- Mucosal HIV-binding antibody and neutralizing activity in high-risk HIV-uninfected female participants in a trial of HIV-vaccine efficacyJohn A Schneider
Department of Medicine, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
J Infect Dis 196:1637-44. 2007..This study investigated gp120-binding antibody and neutralizing activity, at the gingival- and cervical-mucosal levels, in response to a bivalent gp120 candidate vaccine...
- Increased mortality among publicly insured participants in the HIV Outpatient Study despite HAART treatmentFrank J Palella
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
AIDS 25:1865-76. 2011..Understanding mortality differences among HIV-infected patients can focus efforts to improve survival...
- The association of HIV susceptibility testing with survival among HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy: a cohort studyFrank J Palella
Division of Infectious Diseases, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Ann Intern Med 151:73-84. 2009..HIV-1 genotypic and phenotypic susceptibility testing (GPT) optimizes antiretroviral selection, but its effect on survival is unknown...
- Human cervicovaginal lavage fluid contains an inhibitor of HIV binding to dendritic cell-specific intercellular adhesion molecule 3-grabbing nonintegrinMeghan A Jendrysik
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Infect Dis 192:630-9. 2005..Mechanistic experiments indicate that the inhibitor acts via binding to DC-SIGN. Further study of such inhibitors may help to elucidate the role played by DC-SIGN in HIV transmission...
- Initiation of HAART at higher CD4 cell counts is associated with a lower frequency of antiretroviral drug resistance mutations at virologic failureJonathan Uy
University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 51:450-3. 2009..There are limited data on the risk of developing HIV drug resistance based on the CD4 cell count at which highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) is initiated...
- Induction of tumor necrosis factor- alpha secretion and toll-like receptor 2 and 4 mRNA expression by genital mucosal fluids from women with bacterial vaginosisM Reza Zariffard
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Rush University, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Infect Dis 191:1913-21. 2005..Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is associated with complications of pregnancy and increased susceptibility to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) sexual transmission...
- TLR2-mediated cell stimulation in bacterial vaginosisDebra Mares
Department of Immunology Microbiology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Reprod Immunol 77:91-9. 2008..Thus, these studies show that soluble factor(s) present in the lower genital tract of women with BV activate cells via TLR2, identifying a pathway through which BV may mediate adverse effects...
- Safety and immunogenicity of a replication-incompetent adenovirus type 5 HIV-1 clade B gag/pol/nef vaccine in healthy adultsFrances H Priddy
Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:1769-81. 2008....
- Restoration of the antiviral activity of 3'-azido-3'-deoxythymidine (AZT) against AZT-resistant human immunodeficiency virus by delivery of engineered thymidylate kinase to T cellsArnon Lavie
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Gen Virol 89:1672-9. 2008..These results provide an experimental basis for the development of new strategies to therapeutically increase the intracellular concentrations of active nucleoside analogue metabolites as a means to overcome emerging drug resistance...
- Policosanol for managing human immunodeficiency virus-related dyslipidemia in a medically underserved population: a randomized, controlled clinical trialBarbara Swanson
Rush University College of Nursing, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 17:30-5. 2011..Policosanol is a dietary supplement derived from sugar cane that is widely used as a statin alternative in Latin America...
- The influence of executive functions, sensation seeking, and HIV serostatus on the risky sexual practices of substance-dependent individualsRaul Gonzalez
University of Illinois Chicago, Department of Psychiatry, M C 912, 1601 W Taylor Street, Room 408, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 11:121-31. 2005..Our findings indicate that continued risk behavior among HIV+ drug users may be driven by sensation seeking (a personality trait common among drug users); however, the impact of executive functions is less clear...
- IL-22 levels are associated with Trichomonas vaginalis infection in the lower genital tractHadijat Moradeke Makinde
Department of Immunology Microbiology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Am J Reprod Immunol 70:38-44. 2013..IL-22 has important functions at mucosal surfaces, including the induction of antimicrobial peptides and maintenance of epithelium. However, IL-22 has not been investigated in the genital tract during TV infection...
- Trichomonas vaginalis infection activates cells through toll-like receptor 4M Reza Zariffard
Department of Immunology Microbiology, Rush University, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Clin Immunol 111:103-7. 2004..These studies show that T. vaginalis infection results in the appearance in the genital tract of substance(s) that stimulate cells through TLR4, suggesting a mechanism for the inflammation caused by this infection...
- Viable Mycobacterium avium is required for the majority of human immunodeficiency virus-induced upregulation in monocytoid cellsMahmood Ghassemi
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois, 808 S Wood St, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Med Microbiol 52:877-82. 2003....
- Interferon-gamma receptors in HIV-1 infectionJanak Koirala
Division of Infectious Diseases, Southern Illinois University, School of Medicine, Springfield, Illinois 62794 9636, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:1097-102. 2008..This dysfunction in the interferon-gamma pathway contributes to a further impairment in cellular immune function in patients with advanced HIV-1 infection, which may further increase susceptibility to opportunistic infections...
- Reviews of anti-infective agents: maraviroc: the first of a new class of antiretroviral agentsRodger D MacArthur
Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Clin Infect Dis 47:236-41. 2008..HIV-1 mechanisms of resistance to maraviroc, assays to determine viral coreceptor use (tropism), drug safety, and clinical use of maraviroc are discussed at length...
- Prevalence and impact of HIV-1 protease codon 33 mutations and polymorphisms in treatment-naive and treatment-experienced patientsMichael J Kozal
Yale University Et VA CT Healthcare System, New Haven, CT, USA
Antivir Ther 11:457-63. 2006..Little is known about the difference in prevalence of codon 33 mutations and polymorphisms between treatment-naive and treatment-experienced patients, and the effect of codon 33F on PI phenotypic resistance patterns...
- Mucosal innate immune factors in secretions from high-risk individuals immunized with a bivalent gp120 vaccineJames E Cummins
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 23:748-54. 2007..Because of the importance of innate immunity in host defense, evaluation of the mucosal innate immune system should be included in future HIV prevention trials...
- The Incidence of HIV drug resistance and its impact on progression of HIV disease among antiretroviral-naïve participants started on three different antiretroviral therapy strategiesMichael J Kozal
Yale University School of Medicine and VA CT Healthcare System, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
HIV Clin Trials 8:357-70. 2007..The strategies were compared for drug resistance at first virologic failure (VF; HIV RNA >1000 copies/mL). The impact of resistance on AIDS or death was determined...
- HIV sexual risk behavior over 36 months of follow-up in the world's first HIV vaccine efficacy trialBradford N Bartholow
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 39:90-101. 2005....
- Sex-related differences in the pharmacokinetics of once-daily saquinavir soft-gelatin capsules boosted with low-dose ritonavir in patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus type 1Manjunath P Pai
University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, USA
Pharmacotherapy 24:592-9. 2004....
- A comparison of three highly active antiretroviral treatment strategies consisting of non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors, protease inhibitors, or both in the presence of nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors as initial therapy (CPCRA 05Rodger D MacArthur
Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA
Lancet 368:2125-35. 2006..Here, we report results from the FIRST trial, which compared initial treatment strategies for clinical, immunological, and virological outcomes...
- Stroop performance in drug users classified by HIV and hepatitis C virus serostatusEileen M Martin
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 10:298-300. 2004
- Rates of hospitalizations and associated diagnoses in a large multisite cohort of HIV patients in the United States, 1994-2005Kate Buchacz
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
AIDS 22:1345-54. 2008..To assess temporal trends in the rates of hospitalizations and associated diagnoses among HIV-infected patients before and during the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy...
- Incidence of types of cancer among HIV-infected persons compared with the general population in the United States, 1992-2003Pragna Patel
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Emory University, and Northrop Grumman Information Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Ann Intern Med 148:728-36. 2008..Persons who are HIV-infected may be at higher risk for certain types of cancer than the general population...
- Targeting High-Risk Women for HVTN and Microbicide TrialsRichard Novak; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Principal Investigator has his own laboratory with hoods and storage facilities that are used for PBMC processing. ADMINISTRATIVE COMPONENT: ..