Affiliation: University of Massachusetts Medical School
- Treatment of multiple system atrophy using intravenous immunoglobulinPeter Novak
Department of Neurology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
BMC Neurol 12:131. 2012..Activation of microglia and production of toxic cytokines suggest a role of neuroinflammation in MSA pathogenesis. This pilot clinical trial evaluated safety and tolerability of intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) in MSA...
- Effect of deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus upon the contralateral subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson diseasePeter Novak
Department of Neurology, University of Massachusetts, University Campus, S4 810D, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA, United States
Neurosci Lett 463:12-6. 2009..Our study provides direct electrophysiological evidence that the STN HFS is associated with increased activity of the contralateral STN. These findings suggest that increased STN output underlies therapeutic mechanisms of action of HFS...
- Assessment of sympathetic index from the Valsalva maneuverPeter Novak
Autonomic Center, University of Massachusetts, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Neurology 76:2010-6. 2011..Blood pressure (BP) decline and recovery during the Valsalva maneuver (VM) are used to evaluate the degree of sympathetic failure (SF) but a reliable sympathetic index (SI) derived from VM is lacking...
- Localization of the subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson disease using multiunit activityPeter Novak
Dept of Neurology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, MA 01655, USA
J Neurol Sci 310:44-9. 2011..The commonly used criteria for electrophysiological localization of the STN are qualitative. The goal of this study was to validate quantitative STN detection algorithm (QD) derived from the multi-unit activity in a prospective setting...
- Detection of the subthalamic nucleus in microelectrographic recordings in Parkinson disease using the high-frequency (> 500 hz) neuronal background. Technical notePeter Novak
Department of Neurology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Neurosurg 106:175-9. 2007....
- The effects of body mass index on cerebral blood flow velocityMagdy Selim
Dept of Neurology, Stroke Division, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Clin Auton Res 18:331-8. 2008..Obesity is a risk factor for cerebrovascular disease. We aimed to determine the effects of high body mass index (BMI) on cerebral blood flow regulation in patients with type-2 diabetes mellitus, hypertension, and stroke...
- Limbic and motor function comparison of deep brain stimulation of the zona incerta and subthalamic nucleusAnthony M Burrows
Division of Neurosurgery, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
Neurosurgery 70:125-30; discussion 130-1. 2012..Most programming regimens focus on contacts 0 and 1, whereas contact 3, which often is located near or in the zona incerta (ZI), is usually not used. The question of whether ZI stimulation may limit limbic effects has not been answered...
- Dermal sheet preparations in the evaluation of dermal innervation in Parkinson's disease and multiple system atrophyPeter Novak
Autonomic Laboratory, Department of Neurology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Cutan Pathol 36:296-301. 2009..In this study, we evaluated dermal sheet mounts for fibers in which the majority of fibers can be visualized...
- Spectral analysis of slow modulation of EEG amplitude and cardiovascular variables in subjects with postural tachycardia syndromeTerrence D Lagerlund
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, United States
Auton Neurosci 117:132-42. 2005....
- Intraparenchymal cyst development after deep brain stimulator placementAdolfo Ramírez-Zamora
Department of Neurology, Albany Medical College, Albany, N Y, USA
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 91:338-41. 2013..Bacteriological cultures of the removed electrodes and wounds were negative. We report a rare complication of DBS and show that simply removing the involved lead results in cyst resolution. ..
- Venous cavernoma at 8 Tesla MRIVera Novak
Department of Medicine Gerontology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Magn Reson Imaging 21:1087-9. 2003..Cavernoma was not apparent on routine T(2)-weighted FSE images at 1.5 Tesla MRI. This case report indicates that GE images at 8 Tesla can be useful for evaluation of vascular pathologies and microvasculature...