Benjamin B Normark
Affiliation: University of Massachusetts
- The strange case of the armored scale insect and its bacteriomeBenjamin B Normark
Department of Entomology and Graduate Program in Organismic and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts, USA
PLoS Biol 2:E43. 2004
- Male killers and the origins of paternal genome eliminationFrancisco Ubeda
St John s College, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Theor Popul Biol 70:511-26. 2006..We conclude that PGE shows evolutionary genetic stability and present a comprehensive analysis of the probability that such genetic system evolves due to the action of cytoplasmic genes...
- The evolution of alternative genetic systems in insectsBenjamin B Normark
Department of Entomology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
Annu Rev Entomol 48:397-423. 2003..Bizarre systems of extrazygotic inheritance in Sternorrhyncha are not easily accommodated into any existing classification of genetic systems...
- Haplodiploidy as an outcome of coevolution between male-killing cytoplasmic elements and their hostsBenjamin B Normark
Department of Entomology and Graduate Program in Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
Evolution 58:790-8. 2004....
- Perspective: maternal kin groups and the origins of asymmetric genetic systems-genomic imprinting, haplodiploidy, and parthenogenesisBenjamin B Normark
Department of Plant, Soil, and Insect Sciences and Graduate Program in Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
Evolution 60:631-42. 2006..In rare circumstances in which paternal gene products gain access to maternal physiology via a placenta, PSGE with greedy paternal gene expression can persist (e.g., in mammals)...
- Niche explosionBenjamin B Normark
Department of Plant, Soil and Insect Science and Graduate Program in Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Genetica 139:551-64. 2011....
- Phylogenetic congruence of armored scale insects (Hemiptera: Diaspididae) and their primary endosymbionts from the phylum BacteroidetesMatthew E Gruwell
Department of Plant, Soil, and Insect Sciences, Graduate Program in Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Fernald Hall, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Mol Phylogenet Evol 44:267-80. 2007..We propose the name "Candidatus Uzinura diaspidicola" for the primary endosymbionts of armored scale insects...
- Extraordinary haplotype diversity in haplodiploid inbreeders: phylogenetics and evolution of the bark beetle genus CoccotrypesBjarte H Jordal
School of Biological Sciences, University of East Anglia, NR4 7TJ, Norwich, UK
Mol Phylogenet Evol 23:171-88. 2002..However, all results suggested that species with the broadest diets were clustered in a single derived position-another piece of evidence against specialization as a derived evolutionary feature...
- Investigating hybridization in the parthenogenetic New Zealand stick insect Acanthoxyla (Phasmatodea) using single-copy nuclear lociThomas R Buckley
Landcare Research, Private Bag 92170, Auckland, New Zealand
Mol Phylogenet Evol 48:335-49. 2008..Our study demonstrates the utility of cloning alleles from multiple single-copy nuclear genes for resolving the origins of parthenogenetic lineages...