Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Cincinnati
- Central nervous system regulation of adipocyte metabolismRuben Nogueiras
Department of Psychiatry, Obesity Research Centre, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45226, USA
Regul Pept 149:26-31. 2008..In this review, we discuss the central actions of some peptides with an important role in energy balance regulation on adipocyte metabolism and the physiological relevance of these actions...
- Direct control of peripheral lipid deposition by CNS GLP-1 receptor signaling is mediated by the sympathetic nervous system and blunted in diet-induced obesityRuben Nogueiras
Department of Psychiatry, Obesity Research Centre, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45226, USA
J Neurosci 29:5916-25. 2009..Importantly, the CNS GLP-1 system loses the capacity to modulate adipocyte metabolism in obese states, suggesting an obesity-induced adipocyte resistance to CNS GLP-1...
- Melanocortin signaling in the CNS directly regulates circulating cholesterolDiego Perez-Tilve
Metabolic Diseases Institute, Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Nat Neurosci 13:877-82. 2010..Our data suggest that a neural circuit in the brain is directly involved in the control of cholesterol metabolism by the liver...
- Ghrelin, peptide YY and their hypothalamic targets differentially regulate spontaneous physical activityPaul T Pfluger
Obesity Research Center, Dept of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Physiol Behav 105:52-61. 2011..Our data suggest that the control of spontaneous physical activity by gut hormones or their neuropeptide targets may represent an important mechanistic component of energy balance regulation...
- Action profile of the antiobesity drug candidate oleoyl-estrone in ratsSabine Strassburg
Obesity Research Center, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati Metabolic Diseases Institute, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:2260-7. 2010..The present data suggest that OE decreases food intake and body weight but also appears to cause a significant impact on the hypothalamus-pituitary-reproductive axis...
- A functional role for the p62-ERK1 axis in the control of energy homeostasis and adipogenesisSang Jun Lee
Department of Cancer and Cell Biology, The Vontz Center for Molecular Studies, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
EMBO Rep 11:226-32. 2010..These results establish genetically that p62 is a crucial regulator of ERK1 in metabolism...
- PKCzeta-regulated inflammation in the nonhematopoietic compartment is critical for obesity-induced glucose intoleranceSang Jun Lee
Department of Cancer and Cell Biology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 3125 Eden Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
Cell Metab 12:65-77. 2010..These results establish PKCzeta as a critical negative regulator of IL-6 in the control of obesity-induced inflammation in adipocytes...
- Long-term effects of ghrelin and ghrelin receptor agonists on energy balance in ratsSabine Strassburg
Department of Psychiatry, Obesity Research Centre Genome Research Institute, Univ of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 295:E78-84. 2008..These results characterize BIM-28131 as a promising GHS-R agonist with an attractive action profile for the treatment of catabolic disease states such as cachexia...
- Peripheral, but not central, CB1 antagonism provides food intake-independent metabolic benefits in diet-induced obese ratsRuben Nogueiras
Department of Psychiatry, Obesity Research Centre, Genome Research Institute, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Diabetes 57:2977-91. 2008....
- Central nervous system regulation of energy metabolism: ghrelin versus leptinRuben Nogueiras
Obesity Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1126:14-9. 2008..Rather than comprehensively discussing the field, we instead will discuss some of the key findings made regarding the interaction of the hormones ghrelin and leptin with the CNS...
- Bsx, a novel hypothalamic factor linking feeding with locomotor activity, is regulated by energy availabilityRuben Nogueiras
Department of Psychiatry, Obesity Research Center, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45237, USA
Endocrinology 149:3009-15. 2008..Future studies will be necessary to test if Bsx may be involved in the pathogenesis of leptin resistance...
- The central melanocortin system directly controls peripheral lipid metabolismRuben Nogueiras
Obesity Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45237, USA
J Clin Invest 117:3475-88. 2007..We also reveal molecular underpinnings for direct control of the CNS-Mcr over lipid metabolism. These results suggest ways to design more efficient pharmacological methods for controlling adiposity...