Stephen C Noctor
Affiliation: University of California
- Diversity of neural precursor cell types in the prenatal macaque cerebral cortex exists largely within the astroglial cell lineageChristopher L Cunningham
Neuroscience Graduate Program, University of California Davis, Davis, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e63848. 2013..In conclusion, we propose that the heterogeneity of neural precursor cells in the dorsal cerebral cortex develops within the GFAP+ astroglial cell class...
- Distinct behaviors of neural stem and progenitor cells underlie cortical neurogenesisStephen C Noctor
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Comp Neurol 508:28-44. 2008..We propose a model for predicting daughter cell fate that considers precursor cell type, stage of development, and the planar segregation of fate determinants...
- Microglia regulate the number of neural precursor cells in the developing cerebral cortexChristopher L Cunningham
Neuroscience Graduate Program, University of California, Davis, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
J Neurosci 33:4216-33. 2013..Furthermore, our data suggest that any factor that alters the number or activation state of microglia in utero can profoundly affect neural development and affect behavioral outcomes...
- Dividing precursor cells of the embryonic cortical ventricular zone have morphological and molecular characteristics of radial gliaStephen C Noctor
Department of Neurology, Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Neurosci 22:3161-73. 2002....
- Estradiol stimulates progenitor cell division in the ventricular and subventricular zones of the embryonic neocortexVeronica Martinez-Cerdeno
Department of Neurology and Program in Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, 513 Parnassus Avenue, HSW 1201, Box 0525, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Eur J Neurosci 24:3475-88. 2006..These findings demonstrate a new functional role for E2 as a proliferative agent during critical stages of cerebral cortex development...
- Contribution of intermediate progenitor cells to cortical histogenesisStephen C Noctor
Department of Neurology, Institute for Regeneration Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Arch Neurol 64:639-42. 2007..These findings have refined our understanding of cortical neurogenesis, with implications for understanding the causes of neurodevelopmental disorders and for their potential treatment...
- Cortical neurons arise in symmetric and asymmetric division zones and migrate through specific phasesStephen C Noctor
Department of Neurology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 630 W 168th Street, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nat Neurosci 7:136-44. 2004..These findings provide a comprehensive and new view of the dynamics of cortical neurogenesis and migration...
- Neural stem and progenitor cells in cortical developmentStephen C Noctor
Department of Neurology, UCSF School of Medicine, 513 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143 0525, USA
Novartis Found Symp 288:59-73; discussion 73-8, 96-8. 2007..In this model, a temporal sequence of gene expression changes in asymmetrically dividing self-renewed RG cells could lead to the differential inheritance of cell identity genes in cortical cells generated at different cell cycles...
- Comparative analysis of the subventricular zone in rat, ferret and macaque: evidence for an outer subventricular zone in rodentsVeronica Martinez-Cerdeno
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California Davis, Sacramento, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e30178. 2012..Our data demonstrate that the developing rat cerebral cortex possesses an outer subventricular zone during late stages of cortical neurogenesis and that the developing rodent cortex shares important features with that of primates...
- The role of intermediate progenitor cells in the evolutionary expansion of the cerebral cortexVeronica Martinez-Cerdeno
Department of Neurology and the Institute for Stem Cell and Tissue Biology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Cereb Cortex 16:i152-61. 2006..We propose that the evolution of this two-step pattern of neurogenesis played an important role in the amplification of cell numbers underlying the radial and tangential expansion of the cerebral cortex...
- Embryonic MGE precursor cells grafted into adult rat striatum integrate and ameliorate motor symptoms in 6-OHDA-lesioned ratsVeronica Martinez-Cerdeno
Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regeneration Medicine and Stem Cell Research at UCSF, University of California, San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Cell Stem Cell 6:238-50. 2010..Our data suggest that MGE cell transplantation into the striatum is a promising approach to investigate the potential benefits of remodeling basal ganglia circuitry in neurodegenerative diseases...
- Patterns of neuronal migration in the embryonic cortexArnold R Kriegstein
Department of Neurology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Trends Neurosci 27:392-9. 2004..Integrating these findings with the molecular machinery underlying migration will provide a more complete picture of how the cerebral cortex is assembled...
- Reduced excitatory amino acid transporter 1 and metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 expression in the cerebellum of fragile X mental retardation gene 1 premutation carriers with fragile X-associated tremor/ataxia syndromeDalyir I Pretto
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, University of California Davis, School of Medicine, Sacramento, CA, USA Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of California Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA, USA
Neurobiol Aging 35:1189-97. 2014..These data suggests a dysregulation of Glu signaling in PM carriers, which would likely contribute to the development and severity of FXTAS. ..
- Intranuclear inclusions in a fragile X mosaic maleDalyir I Pretto
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California at Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA, USA
Transl Neurodegener 2:10. 2013..In addition, based on symptoms and pathological and molecular evidence, this report suggests the need to redefine the diagnostic criteria of FXTAS...
- Neurogenic radial glial cells in reptile, rodent and human: from mitosis to migrationTamily Weissman
Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 630 W 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Cereb Cortex 13:550-9. 2003..Although radial glial cells have traditionally been characterized by their role in guiding migration, their role as neuronal progenitors may represent their defining characteristic throughout the vertebrate CNS...