Affiliation: University of Pennsylvania
- Oxygenation and blood concentration changes in human subject prefrontal activation by anagram solutionsBritton Chance
University of Pennsylvania, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6059, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 510:397-401. 2003..A wearable NIR measurement of metabolic activation and blood flow may be a useful educational aid. In summary, the optical method focuses attention on cognition activated oxygenation of prefrontal cortex...
- Fetal transabdominal pulse oximeter studies using a hypoxic sheep modelShoko Nioka
Department of Biochem Biophysics, University of Pennsylvania, PA 19104, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 17:393-9. 2005..This study investigates the validity of transabdominal pulse oximetry using a sheep fetal hypoxia model with fetal arterial hemoglobin saturation...
- Breast cancer detection based on incremental biochemical and physiological properties of breast cancers: a six-year, two-site studyBritton Chance
University of Pennsylvania, Department of Biochemistry, Philadelphia, 19104 6059, USA
Acad Radiol 12:925-33. 2005....
- Simulation of Mb/Hb in NIRS and oxygen gradient in the human and canine skeletal muscles using H-NMR and NIRSShoko Nioka
Dept of Biochemistry and Radiology, University of Pennsylvania, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 578:223-8. 2006
- Effect of errors in baseline optical properties on accuracy of transabdominal near-infrared spectroscopy in fetal sheep brain during hypoxic stressTheresa Mawn
University of Pennsylvania, Department of Bioengineering, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6100, USA
J Biomed Opt 10:064001. 2005..Under hypoxic conditions, however, the variability of the NIR StO2 calculations with changes in the assumed reference properties became more significant...
- Reduced heterogeneity of muscle deoxygenation during heavy bicycle exerciseRyotaro Kime
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 37:412-7. 2005..This study evaluated heterogeneity of muscle O2 dynamics in a single muscle during bicycle exercise using an eight-channel near-infrared continuous wave spectroscopy (NIRcws) mapping system...
- Breast cancer detection of large size to DCIS by hypoxia and angiogenesis using NIRSShoko Nioka
Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 789:211-9. 2013..3 % and 85.3 %, respectively. In summary, smaller-size tumors are difficult to detect with NIRS, whereas DCIS can be detected by the same total hemoglobin and hypoxic score in our study...
- Skeletal muscle energetics with PNMR: personal views and historic perspectivesBritton Chance
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6059, USA
NMR Biomed 19:904-26. 2006..Some of the research has been introduced in exercise physiology. Future directions of NMR on bioenergetics, as a part of system biological approaches, are indicated...
- Modeling of oxygen diffusion and metabolism from capillary to musclePing Huang
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 540:325-30. 2003
- Heterogeneity of mitochondrial redox state in premalignant pancreas in a PTEN null transgenic mouse modelHe N Xu
Department of Radiology, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 701:207-13. 2011....
- In vivo continuous-wave optical breast imaging enhanced with Indocyanine GreenXavier Intes
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Med Phys 30:1039-47. 2003..These results provide further evidence that in vivo pharmacokinetics of ICG in breast tumors may be a useful diagnostic tool for differentiation of benign and malignant pathologies...
- Quantitative mitochondrial redox imaging of breast cancer metastatic potentialHe N Xu
University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Department of Radiology, B6 Blockley Hall, 423 Guardian Drive, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6069, USA
J Biomed Opt 15:036010. 2010..Mitochondrial redox imaging can be clinically implemented utilizing cryogenic biopsy specimens and is useful for drug development and for clinical diagnosis of breast cancer...
- Noninvasive diffuse optical measurement of blood flow and blood oxygenation for monitoring radiation therapy in patients with head and neck tumors: a pilot studyUlas Sunar
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6396, USA
J Biomed Opt 11:064021. 2006..0+/-8.1) [microM] at the end of the fourth week of therapy. These preliminary results suggest daily diffuse-optics-based therapy monitoring is feasible during the first two weeks and may have clinical promise...
- Quantitative brain tissue oximetry, phase spectroscopy and imaging the range of homeostasis in piglet brainBritton Chance
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Johnson Research Foundation, University of Pennsylvania, Center for Biomedical Optics, University City Science Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 530:13-8. 2003..Beyond that range, the tissue oxygen is still correctly measured but, as expected, approaches the arterial saturation at low metabolic rates and the venous saturation at high metabolic rates of mitochondria...
- Relationship between muscle architectural features and oxygenation status determined by near infrared deviceHajime Miura
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, PA 19104, Philadelphia, USA
Eur J Appl Physiol 91:273-8. 2004..05), between DeltaNIR-blood volume and Deltafascicle angle ( r=-0.85, P<0.05). In conclusion, the plantar flexion exercise produced regional differences in oxygenation status consistent with regional differences in muscle architecture...
- A wearable brain imagerBritton Chance
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104 6059, USA
IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 26:30-7. 2007
- Mitochondrial NADH as the bellwether of tissue O2 deliveryBritton Chance
Adv Exp Med Biol 566:231-42. 2005....
- Transabdominal fetal pulse oximetry with near-infrared spectroscopyAnthony M Vintzileos
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 192:129-33. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine the feasibility of noninvasive fetal pulse oximetry in the human fetus with transabdominal continuous-wave near-infrared spectroscopy...
- Pharmacokinetic-rate images of indocyanine green for breast tumors using near-infrared optical methodsBurak Alacam
Department of Electrical, Computer, and Systems Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, USA
Phys Med Biol 53:837-59. 2008..Our study indicates that the pharmacokinetic-rate images may provide superior information than single set of pharmacokinetic rates estimated from the entire breast tissue for breast cancer diagnosis...
- Characterization of breast tumors with NIR methods using optical indicesBurak Alacam
Dept of Electrical, Computer, and Systems Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY 12180, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2007:5186-9. 2007..91 with a significance level of 0.05. Our results suggest that the features, relative blood concentration, and oxygen saturation can differentiate breast tumors with a relatively high precision...
- Reconstruction of spatially resolved pharmacokinetic rate images of fluorescence agents in FDOTBurak Alacam
Dept of Electrical Computer and Systems Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York 19102, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:5627-30. 2006....
- Comparison of low- and high-intensity resistance exercise on lipid peroxidation: role of muscle oxygenationJay R Hoffman
College of New Jersey, Ewing 08628, USA
J Strength Cond Res 21:118-22. 2007..44). Results suggest that increases in MDA occur independently of exercise intensity, but tissue acidosis may have a larger influence on MDA formation...
- The effect of a competitive collegiate football season on power performance and muscle oxygen recovery kineticsJay R Hoffman
The College of New Jersey, Ewing, New Jersey 08628, USA
J Strength Cond Res 19:509-13. 2005..Results indicate that the extent of muscle deoxygenation is reduced during high-intensity exercise and that muscle oxygen recovery kinetics improves over the duration of a competitive season of football...
- Evaluation of physiological responses during recovery following three resistance exercise programsJie Kang
The College of New Jersey, Ewing, New Jersey 08628, USA
J Strength Cond Res 19:305-9. 2005..In addition, an exercise routine performed at low to moderate intensity coupled with a moderate to high exercise volume is most effective in maximizing caloric expenditure following resistance exercise...
- Effect of muscle oxygenation during resistance exercise on anabolic hormone responseJay R Hoffman
The College of New Jersey, Ewing, NJ 08628, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 35:1929-34. 2003..This investigation examined the affects of two different resistance exercise protocols on muscle oxygenation, and the anabolic hormonal response to such exercise...
- Simulation study of breast tissue hemodynamics during pressure perturbationShoko Nioka
Adv Exp Med Biol 566:17-22. 2005..The results showed that simulation can be used to obtain venous and average oxygen saturation as well as blood flow in compressed breast tissues...
- Hand-Held Phased Array:Localization of Molecular BeaconsShoko Nioka; Fiscal Year: 2004..therefore, technical transfer has already been outlined and a wide market may be established. ..
- High Resolution 3-D Imaging of Molecular BeaconsShoko Nioka; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..