Paula M Niedenthal
Affiliation: University of Wisconsin
- Embodying emotionPaula M Niedenthal
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS and University of Clermont Ferrand, France
Science 316:1002-5. 2007..Taken all together, recent findings provide a scientific account of the familiar contention that "when you're smiling, the whole world smiles with you."..
- Valence focus and the perception of facial affectLisa Feldman Barrett
National Center for Scientific Research, University of Clermont Ferrand, France
Emotion 4:266-74. 2004..The effect was not accounted for by current affective state or other personality characteristics. Implications for the validity of self-reported experienced emotion are discussed...
- Embodied temporal perception of emotionDaniel A Effron
Department of Psychology, Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
Emotion 6:1-9. 2006..Results revealed that participants overestimated the duration of emotional faces relative to the neutral faces only when imitation was possible. Implications for the role of embodiment in emotional perception are discussed...
- Neural computation as a tool to differentiate perceptual from emotional processes: the case of anger superiority effectMartial Mermillod
Universite Blaise Pascal, LAPSCO CNRS UMR 6024, 34, Avenue Carnot, 63037 Clermont Ferrand, France
Cognition 110:346-57. 2009..We discuss the importance of statistical or connectionist analysis for empirical studies that seek to isolate perceptual from emotional factors, but also learned vs. innate factors in the processing of facial expression of emotion...
- Social functionality of human emotionPaula M Niedenthal
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Paris, France
Annu Rev Psychol 63:259-85. 2012..Behavioral and brain mechanisms supporting their successful occurrence are evaluated. At the group level, group emotions and group-based emotions, two very different phenomena, are discussed, and mechanistic accounts are reviewed...
- The Simulation of Smiles (SIMS) model: Embodied simulation and the meaning of facial expressionPaula M Niedenthal
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS and Clermont Université, 63037 Clermont Ferrand, France
Behav Brain Sci 33:417-33; discussion 433-80. 2010....
- Embodiment of emotion conceptsPaula M Niedenthal
CNRS, Paris, France
J Pers Soc Psychol 96:1120-36. 2009..Implications for theories of embodied simulation and for emotion theories are discussed...
- Anger and time perception in childrenSandrine Gil
Laboratory of Social and Cognitive Psychology, CNRS, Blaise Pascal University, Clermont Ferrand, France
Emotion 7:219-25. 2007..Results revealed that, in all age groups, children judged the duration of angry faces to be longer than that of neutral faces. Findings are discussed in the framework of internal clock models and the adaptive function of emotion...
- Emotion concepts and emotional states in social judgment and categorizationAse Innes-Ker
Department of Psychology, Indiana University Bloomington, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 83:804-16. 2002..Sentence unscrambling had no effect on emotional response categorization. The influences of emotions and emotion knowledge in cognition and emotion are discussed...
- Adult attachment and the perception of facial expression of emotionPaula M Niedenthal
National Center for Scientific Research and Laboratoire de Psychologie Sociale de la Cognition, University of Clermont Ferrand, France
J Pers Soc Psychol 82:419-33. 2002..The mechanisms underlying the effects are considered...
- Adult attachment and the perception of emotional expressions: probing the hyperactivating strategies underlying anxious attachmentR Chris Fraley
Department of Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, IL 61820, USA
J Pers 74:1163-90. 2006..The results indicate that variation in attachment anxiety reflects, in part, differences in vigilance to cues of social and emotional significance...
- Embodiment in attitudes, social perception, and emotionPaula M Niedenthal
Laboratory in Social and Cognitive Psychology, CNRS and University of Clermont Ferrand, France
Pers Soc Psychol Rev 9:184-211. 2005..We compare the PSS account to a variety of related proposals and show how it addresses criticisms that have previously posed problems for the general embodiment approach...