John M Nicklas
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Heart failure: clinical problem and management issuesJohn M Nicklas
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Michigan, 1600 East Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5853, USA
Prim Care 40:17-42. 2013..Cardiac defibrillators and biventricular pacemakers can also improve outcomes in selected patients with a decreased LVEF. The authors provide a guide for therapeutic decisions based on the inclusion criteria of the major clinical trials...
- Pharmacologic management of heart failure caused by systolic dysfunctionWilliam E Chavey
Department of Family Medicine, University ofMichigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Am Fam Physician 77:957-64. 2008..Serum digoxin levels should not exceed 1.0 ng per mL (1.3 nmol per L), especially in women...
- Standardizing and predicting results from cardiopulmonary exercise testing in patients with heart failureRobert L Bard
University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48106, USA
J Cardiopulm Rehabil 26:384-90. 2006..The purpose of this study was to evaluate a means of standardizing oxygen consumption (VO(2)) measurement and to evaluate the ability to predict peak VO(2) from submaximal exercise...
- Prognostic ability of resting periodic breathing and ventilatory variation in closely matched patients with heart failureRobert L Bard
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48106, USA
J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev 28:318-22. 2008..Although PB is usually assessed in sleeping patients, PB has also been observed in awake patients. We tested the hypothesis that PB in awake, resting patients with heart failure predicts mortality...
- Systolic blood pressure influences the interpretation of cardiopulmonary exercise tests and helps identify a very high-risk cohort of heart failure patientsRobert L Bard
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan Electronic address
J Heart Lung Transplant 33:388-96. 2014..Therefore, the purpose of this study was to determine the prognostic power of the aggregate of CPX data...
- Neutral effect on markers of heart failure, inflammation, endothelial activation and function, and vagal tone after high-dose HMG-CoA reductase inhibition in non-diabetic patients with non-ischemic cardiomyopathy and average low-density lipoprotein levelBarry E Bleske
University of Michigan, College of Pharmacy, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 1065, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 47:338-41. 2006....
- Determining the best ventilatory efficiency measure to predict mortality in patients with heart failureRobert L Bard
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48106, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 25:589-95. 2006..Therefore, we investigated the relative prognostic power of different measures of ventilatory efficiency calculated from maximal and sub-maximal exercise in patients with heart failure...
- Controversies in the use of beta blockers in heart failureWilliam E Chavey
Department of Family Medicine, University of Michigan, Ypsilanti, MI 48198, USA
Congest Heart Fail 9:255-62. 2003....
- Food: an unrecognized source of loop diuretic resistanceRobert L Bard
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0356, USA
Pharmacotherapy 24:630-7. 2004..Additional studies are needed to help answer these questions. Until such data are available, the most conservative, effective clinical approach is to administer oral loop diuretics without food...