Lauren H Nicholas
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Modeling the impact of Medicare Advantage payment cuts on ambulatory care sensitive and elective hospitalizationsLauren Hersch Nicholas
Institute for Social Research, 426 Thompson Street, Room 3005, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
Health Serv Res 46:1417-35. 2011....
- Hospital process compliance and surgical outcomes in medicare beneficiariesLauren H Nicholas
Institute for Social Research, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
Arch Surg 145:999-1004. 2010..To determine whether high rates of compliance with perioperative processes of care used for public reporting and pay-for-performance are associated with lower rates of risk-adjusted mortality and high-risk surgical complications...
- Do hospitals alter patient care effort allocations under pay-for-performance?Lauren Hersch Nicholas
Institute for Social Research and Center for Healthcare Outcomes and Policy, University of Michigan, 426 Thompson St, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
Health Serv Res 46:61-81. 2011..To determine whether hospitals increase efforts on easy tasks relative to difficult tasks to improve scores under pay-for-performance (P4P) incentives...
- Can Food Stamps help to reduce Medicare spending on diabetes?Lauren Hersch Nicholas
University of Michigan, Institute for Social Research, 426 Thompson St, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
Econ Hum Biol 9:1-13. 2011..As one-third of elderly Food Stamp recipients are currently diabetic, greater coordination between the Food Stamp, Medicare, and Medicaid programs may improve health outcomes for this group...
- Regional variation in the association between advance directives and end-of-life Medicare expendituresLauren Hersch Nicholas
Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
JAMA 306:1447-53. 2011..It is unclear if advance directives (living wills) are associated with end-of-life expenditures and treatments...
- Does pay-for-performance improve surgical outcomes? An evaluation of phase 2 of the Premier Hospital Quality Incentive DemonstrationTerry Shih
From the Center for Healthcare Outcomes and Policy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Ann Surg 259:677-81. 2014....
- Evaluating popular media and internet-based hospital quality ratings for cancer surgeryNicholas H Osborne
Michigan Surgical Collaborative for Outcomes Research and Evaluation, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Arch Surg 146:600-4. 2011..We sought to determine whether "best hospitals," as defined by the US News & World Report or HealthGrades, have lower mortality rates than all other American hospitals for cancer surgery...
- Composite measures for rating hospital quality with major surgeryJustin B Dimick
University of Michigan, 2800 Plymouth Road Building 520 Office 3144, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Health Serv Res 47:1861-79. 2012..To assess the value of a novel composite measure for identifying the best hospitals for major procedures...
- Bariatric surgery complications before vs after implementation of a national policy restricting coverage to centers of excellenceJustin B Dimick
Center for Healthcare Outcomes and Policy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
JAMA 309:792-9. 2013..Starting in 2006, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has restricted coverage of bariatric surgery to hospitals designated as centers of excellence (COE) by 2 major professional organizations...
- Do popular media and internet-based hospital quality ratings identify hospitals with better cardiovascular surgery outcomes?Nicholas H Osborne
Michigan Surgical Collaborative for Outcomes Research and Evaluation, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5604, USA
J Am Coll Surg 210:87-92. 2010..It is unclear whether selecting highly rated hospitals will improve outcomes after cardiovascular surgery procedures...
- Identifying diabetics in Medicare claims and survey data: implications for health services researchJoseph W Sakshaug
Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan, 426 Thompson Street, Ann Arbor, MI, 48104, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 14:150. 2014..We assessed agreement between the Chronic Condition Warehouse diabetes algorithm for Medicare claims and self-report measures of diabetes. Differences in healthcare utilization outcomes under each diabetes definition were also explored...