M D Newcomb
Affiliation: University of Southern California
- Adolescent predictors of young adult and adult alcohol involvement and dysphoria in a prospective community sample of womenThomas F Locke
Substance Abuse Research Center, Psychology Department, University of California Los Angeles, Box 951563, Los Angeles, California 90095 1563, USA
Prev Sci 5:151-68. 2004....
- The motivation, skills, and decision-making model of "drug abuse" preventionSteve Sussman
Departments of Preventive Medicine and Psychology, Institute for Prevention Research, University of Southern California, Alhambra, California 91803, USA
Subst Use Misuse 39:1971-2016. 2004..Incorporating the perspectives of multiple disciplines appears essential for progress in drug abuse and other problem behavior prevention...
- Childhood adversity and poor mothering: consequences of polydrug abuse use as a moderatorMichael D Newcomb
Division of Counseling Psychology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 0031, USA
Addict Behav 30:1061-4. 2005..Results revealed that mothers who had parents with alcohol or drug-related problems were more likely to become poor parents, if they themselves used drugs and had problems related to drug use...
- Childhood adversity, poly-substance use, and disordered eating in adolescent Latinas: mediated and indirect paths in a community sampleChristopher Hodson
Department of Counseling Psychology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1563, USA
Child Abuse Negl 30:1017-36. 2006....
- Childhood experiences and psychosocial influences on HIV risk among adolescent Latinas in southern CaliforniaMichael D Newcomb
Division of Counseling Psychology, Waite Phillips Hall 503, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089 0031, USA
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 9:219-35. 2003..Reducing childhood maltreatment reduced HIV risk and improved psychosocial functioning. Many factors tested did not influence HIV risk. Much of what is known about HIV risk among other populations may not apply to young Latina women...
- The drug-crime nexus in a community sample of adultsM D Newcomb
Division of Counseling Psychology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles 90089 0031, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 15:185-93. 2001..Theoretical implications of these findings are discussed...
- Alcohol involvement and dysphoria: a longitudinal examination of gender differences from late adolescence to adulthoodT F Locke
Division of Counseling Psychology, University of Southern California, 90095 1563, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 15:227-36. 2001..For men alcohol involvement and dysphoria were unrelated during late adolescence but converged over time. Reciprocal relations between alcohol involvement and dysphoria were found for both men and women...
- Adolescent drug use in Mexico and among Mexican American adolescents in the United States: environmental influences and individual characteristicsM Felix-Ortiz
University of California, Los Angeles, Department of Psychology, 1282A Franz Hall, Box 951563, Los Angeles, California 90095 1563, USA
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 7:27-46. 2001..Environmental factors were most influential for boys' drug use, whereas environmental and demographic variables were most influential for girls' drug use...
- Intergenerational cycle of maltreatment: a popular concept obscured by methodological limitationsM D Newcomb
University of Southern California, Division of Counseling Psychology, Los Angeles, CA 90089-0031, USA
Child Abuse Negl 25:1219-40. 2001..Clinical implications and potential mechanisms of transmission are discussed...
- Protective and risk influences of drug use among a multiethnic sample of adolescent boysE R Galaif
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, 90095 1563, USA
J Drug Educ 37:249-76. 2007..Multiple group analyses indicated significant similarities and differences among US and FB Latinos, and Whites. Implications for early prevention, multi-level interventions, and suggestions for future research are discussed...
- A multidimensional approach to homosexual identityJ L Horowitz
University of Southern California, Los Angeles 90089-0031, USA
J Homosex 42:1-19. 2001..We posit that from the social constructionist viewpoint, there is in fact no true endpoint to sexual identity development...
- Development and validation of a brief screening version of the Childhood Trauma QuestionnaireDavid P Bernstein
Department of Psychology, Fordham University, Dealy Hall, 3rd Floor, Bronx, NY 10458, USA
Child Abuse Negl 27:169-90. 2003..The goal of this study was to develop and validate a short form of the Childhood Trauma Questionnaire (the CTQ-SF) as a screening measure for maltreatment histories in both clinical and nonreferred groups...
- Psychosocial outcomes of alcohol involvement and dysphoria in women: a 16-year prospective community studyThomas F Locke
Substance Abuse Research Center, Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, 1285 Franz Hall, Box No 951563, Los Angeles, California 90095 1563, USA
J Stud Alcohol 64:531-46. 2003..We also test the influence of a change (increase or decrease) in alcohol involvement, dysphoria, or their combined association, on adult psychosocial functioning...
- Adult trauma and HIV status among Latinas: effects upon psychological adjustment and substance useMichael D Newcomb
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90024 1759, USA
AIDS Behav 8:417-28. 2004..Implications for future research and culturally relevant prevention and intervention programs are discussed...