Genomes and Genes
Susan L Neuhausen
Affiliation: University of California
- Genetic variation in insulin-like growth factor signaling genes and breast cancer risk among BRCA1 and BRCA2 carriersSusan L Neuhausen
Department of Epidemiology, University of California Irvine, 224 Irvine Hall, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Breast Cancer Res 11:R76. 2009..In this study, we investigate the association of variants in genes involved in IGF signaling and risk of breast cancer in women who carry deleterious BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations...
- Spontaneous and therapeutic abortions and the risk of breast cancer among BRCA mutation carriersEitan Friedman
The Suzanne Levy Gertner Oncogenetics Unit, The Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel, and the Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Breast Cancer Res 8:R15. 2006....
- The Breast Cancer Family Registry: an infrastructure for cooperative multinational, interdisciplinary and translational studies of the genetic epidemiology of breast cancerEsther M John
Clinical and Genetic Epidemiology Research Branch, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Breast Cancer Res 6:R375-89. 2004....
- Co-occurrence of celiac disease and other autoimmune diseases in celiacs and their first-degree relativesSusan L Neuhausen
Department of Epidemiology, University of California Irvine, 224 Irvine Hall, Irvine, CA 92697 7550, USA
J Autoimmun 31:160-5. 2008..These results indicate that the presence of IDDM within our celiac disease families may be due to shared genetic susceptibility predisposing to these diseases or autoimmune diseases in general...
- Prostate cancer risk and IRS1, IRS2, IGF1, and INS polymorphisms: strong association of IRS1 G972R variant and cancer riskSusan L Neuhausen
Department of Medicine, Division of Epidemiology, University of California Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697 7550, USA
Prostate 64:168-74. 2005..We hypothesized that functional polymorphisms in INS, IRS1, IRS2, and IGF1 may be associated with prostate cancer...
- BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers in the Breast Cancer Family Registry: an open resource for collaborative researchSusan L Neuhausen
Department of Epidemiology, University of California Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697 7550, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 116:379-86. 2009..The value of the resource has been greatly enhanced by determining the germline BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation statuses of nearly 6,000 probands...
- Genetic variation in IGFBP2 and IGFBP5 is associated with breast cancer in populations of African descentChad P Garner
Department of Epidemiology, University of California Irvine, 224 Irvine Hall, Irvine, CA, 92697 7550, USA
Hum Genet 123:247-55. 2008..0038 and P = 0.01 in African-Americans and Nigerians, respectively. This study is the first to report associations between genetic variants in IGFBP2 and IGFBP5 and breast cancer risk...
- Meat consumption, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug use, and mortality among colorectal cancer patients in the California Teachers StudyJason A Zell
Genetic Epidemiology Research Institute, Department of Epidemiology, University of California at Irvine, 92697, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 3:865-75. 2010..These findings have implications for CRC survivorship and tertiary CRC prevention...
- Mortality after bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: a prospective cohort studySusan M Domchek
Abramson Cancer Centre, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6021, USA
Lancet Oncol 7:223-9. 2006..However, the reduction in mortality after this surgery is unclear. We aimed to assess whether BPSO improves overall mortality or cancer-specific mortality in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers...
- Genome-Wide Association Study of Celiac Disease in North America Confirms FRMD4B as New Celiac LocusChad Garner
Epidemiology Department, School of Medicine, University of California Irvine, Irvine, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e101428. 2014..Preliminary, suggestive statistical evidence for association with the two traits was found at chromosomes 3p21.31, 6q15, 6q25, 1q24.3 and 10p11.23, with future studies being required to validate the reported associations. ..
- Association analysis of the extended MHC region in celiac disease implicates multiple independent susceptibility lociRichard Ahn
Department of Epidemiology, University of California Irvine, Irvine, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e36926. 2012..This study is the first comprehensive association analysis of the xMHC in celiac disease that specifically accounts for the known HLA disease genotypes and the genetic complexity of the region...
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: effects on mortality after colorectal cancer diagnosisJason A Zell
Genetic Epidemiology Research Institute and Department of Epidemiology, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, California 92697 7550, USA
Cancer 115:5662-71. 2009..The authors investigated the association between prediagnosis NSAID use and mortality after CRC diagnosis among women in the California Teachers Study cohort...
- Genetic testing in an ethnically diverse cohort of high-risk women: a comparative analysis of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in American families of European and African ancestryRita Nanda
Center for Clinical Cancer Genetics, Section of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, Ill 60637 1470, USA
JAMA 294:1925-33. 2005..Ten years after BRCA1 and BRCA2 were first identified as major breast cancer susceptibility genes, the spectrum of mutations and modifiers of risk among many ethnic minorities remain undefined...
- Recent breast cancer incidence trends according to hormone therapy use: the California Teachers Study cohortSarah F Marshall
Department of Epidemiology, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, 224 Irvine Hall, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Breast Cancer Res 12:R4. 2010..Few data sources can address breast cancer incidence trends according to pertinent characteristics like hormone therapy use history...
- Associations of a polymorphism in the ornithine decarboxylase gene with colorectal cancer survivalJason A Zell
Department of Epidemiology, University of California, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:6208-16. 2009..We examined associations of the +316 ODC1 single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) with colorectal cancer-specific survival among colorectal cancer cases, and then investigated its functional significance in colon cancer cells...
- Mitochondrial DNA G10398A variant is not associated with breast cancer in African-American womenVeronica Wendy Setiawan
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine and Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Cancer Genet Cytogenet 181:16-9. 2008..18, 95% CI = 0.76-1.82, P = 0.46). Our results do not support the hypothesis that the mtDNA G10398A polymorphism is, as has previously been reported, a marker of breast cancer risk in African Americans...
- Hormone therapy and the risk of breast cancer in BRCA1 mutation carriersAndrea Eisen
Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Center, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:1361-7. 2008....
- AURKA F31I polymorphism and breast cancer risk in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: a consortium of investigators of modifiers of BRCA1/2 studyFergus J Couch
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street Southwest, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:1416-21. 2007..In summary, the F31I polymorphism in AURKA is not associated with a modified risk of breast cancer in BRCA1 and BRCA2 carriers...
- Age at first birth and the risk of breast cancer in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriersJoanne Kotsopoulos
Centre for Research in Women s Health, Women s College Hospital, University of Toronto, Room 750, 790 Bay Street, 7th Floor, Toronto, ON M5G 1N8, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 105:221-8. 2007..Nonetheless, BRCA mutation carriers opting for a prophylactic oophorectomy as a breast and/or ovarian cancer risk-reducing strategy should complete childbearing prior to age 40 when this prevention modality is most effective...
- Oral contraceptives and the risk of breast cancer in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriersSteven A Narod
The Centre for Research on Women s Health, University of Toronto, 790 Bay Street, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1N8, Canada
J Natl Cancer Inst 94:1773-9. 2002..We examined whether this association is seen in women at high risk of breast cancer because they carry a mutation in one of two breast cancer susceptibility genes, BRCA1 and BRCA2...
- Bilateral prophylactic mastectomy reduces breast cancer risk in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: the PROSE Study GroupTimothy R Rebbeck
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute, The University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6021, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:1055-62. 2004..Thus, we estimated the degree of breast cancer risk reduction after surgery in women who carry these mutations...
- Smoking and the risk of breast cancer among carriers of BRCA mutationsParviz Ghadirian
Epidemiology Research Unit, Centre Hospitalier del Universite de Montreal Hotel Dieu, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Cancer 110:413-6. 2004..03; 95% CI 0.83 to l.28) or before the first pregnancy (OR = 1.09; 95% CI = 0.90 to 1.33). In conclusion, contrary to our previous report, smoking does not appear to be a risk factor for breast cancer among carriers of BRCA mutations...
- Dietary calcium, vitamin D, VDR genotypes and colorectal cancerMartha L Slattery
Health Research Center, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Int J Cancer 111:750-6. 2004..The risk associated with VDR genotype seems to depend upon the level of dietary calcium and vitamin D and tumor site...
- Age at menarche and the risk of breast cancer in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriersJoanne Kotsopoulos
Centre for Research in Women s Health, University of Toronto, Women s College Hospital, 790 Bay Street, 7th Floor, Totonto, Ontario M5G 1N8, Canada
Cancer Causes Control 16:667-74. 2005..46; 95% CI 0.30-0.69). This study implicates early age at menarche as a determinant of breast cancer among women with a BRCA1 mutation...
- Hormone replacement therapy and the risk of ovarian cancer in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriersJoanne Kotsopoulos
Centre for Research in Women s Health, 790 Bay Street, 7th Floor, Women s College Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1N8
Gynecol Oncol 100:83-8. 2006..This association has not been evaluated in BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation carriers who face very high lifetime risks of both breast and ovarian cancers...
- Effect of short-term hormone replacement therapy on breast cancer risk reduction after bilateral prophylactic oophorectomy in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: the PROSE Study GroupTimothy R Rebbeck
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, 19104, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:7804-10. 2005..Thus, we evaluated whether the breast cancer risk reduction conferred by BPO in BRCA1/2 mutation carriers is altered by use of post-BPO HRT...
- Breast cancer risk following bilateral oophorectomy in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: an international case-control studyAndrea Eisen
Toronto Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Center, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Clin Oncol 23:7491-6. 2005....
- The joint effect of smoking and AIB1 on breast cancer risk in BRCA1 mutation carriersSusan Colilla
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology and Medicine and Genetics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Carcinogenesis 27:599-605. 2006....
- A role for XRCC4 in age at diagnosis and breast cancer riskKristina Allen-Brady
Genetic Epidemiology, Department of Medical Informatics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, 84108, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:1306-10. 2006..Our results suggest that XRCC4 may play a role in the age at diagnosis and risk of breast cancer in non-BRCA1/2, heritable breast cancer cases...
- Reproductive risk factors for ovarian cancer in carriers of BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations: a case-control studyJohn R McLaughlin
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Toronto, ON, Canada
Lancet Oncol 8:26-34. 2007..We aimed to assess the effect of these three risk factors, and of tubal ligation, on the risk of ovarian cancer in women who carry a mutation in the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes...
- Prophylactic oophorectomy in carriers of BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutationsTimothy R Rebbeck
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104 6021, USA
N Engl J Med 346:1616-22. 2002..We investigated whether this procedure reduces the risk of cancers of the coelomic epithelium and breast in women who carry such mutations...
- The IGF Signaling Pathway and Breast Cancer RiskSusan Neuhausen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Currently, chemotherapies are being directed to the IGF pathway and the results of this study could provide further targets, as well as assist in identifying the group of women who could particularly benefit from these new drugs. ..