Affiliation: University of Iowa
- Underutilization of calcium and vitamin D by older adults in a large general internal medicine practiceJose Ness
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa School of Medicine, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Am J Ther 12:113-6. 2005..13, 95% CI 0.07-0.26). Calcium and vitamin D were greatly underutilized among older patients in an internal medicine clinic. Inadequate replacement doses were common, and men were particularly susceptible to undertreatment...
- Menopausal symptoms after cessation of hormone replacement therapyJose Ness
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa College of Medicine, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Maturitas 53:356-61. 2006....
- Use of complementary medicine in older Americans: results from the Health and Retirement StudyJose Ness
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, SE624GH, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Gerontologist 45:516-24. 2005..This study was designed to identify such correlates in a large sample of older adults, thus generating new data relevant to consumer education, medical training, and health practice and policy...
- Prevalence and causes of persistent use of hormone replacement therapy among postmenopausal women: a follow-up studyJose Ness
Department of Medicine, University of Iowa School of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Am J Ther 13:109-12. 2006..However, 12% of the women still remained on HRT in 2004. The severity of menopausal symptoms, patient preference, and osteoporosis or osteopenia played a prominent role in the decision to remain on HRT...
- Comparison of prevalence of atherosclerotic vascular disease in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis or osteopenia versus without osteoporosis or osteopeniaJose Ness
Department of Medicine, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Am J Cardiol 97:1427-8. 2006..001). Modifiable risk factors for AVD were present to the same extent in women with osteoporosis, osteopenia, or no osteoporosis or osteopenia...
- Use of hormone replacement therapy by postmenopausal women after publication of the Women's Health Initiative TrialJose Ness
Department of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:460-2. 2005..However, little is known about the women who remain on HRT...
- Prevalence of symptomatic peripheral arterial disease, modifiable risk factors, and appropriate use of drugs in the treatment of peripheral arterial disease in older persons seen in a university general medicine clinicJose Ness
Department of Medicine, University of Iowa School of Medicine, Iowa City, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:255-7. 2005..Persons with peripheral arterial disease (PAD) have a high incidence of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality...
- Cerebrovascular diseases as primary hospital discharge diagnoses: national trend (1970-2000) among older adultsAli Ahmed
Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:1328-32. 2005..Cerebrovascular diseases are a common cause of mortality, morbidity, and hospitalization among older adults. However, the long-term national trends in cerebrovascular disease-related hospitalizations in this age group are not well known...
- Cardiovascular effects of ephedraJose Ness
JAMA 291:1560; author reply 1560-1. 2004