Richard E Nelson
Affiliation: University of Utah
- The impact of mental illness on the risk of employment terminationRichard E Nelson
Division of Epidemiology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84148, USA
J Ment Health Policy Econ 14:39-52. 2011..However, little is known about the impact of mental illness on an individual's ability to maintain employment...
- Using multiple sources of data for surveillance of postoperative venous thromboembolism among surgical patients treated in Department of Veterans Affairs hospitals, 2005-2010Richard E Nelson
Veterans Affairs Salt Lake City Health Care System, USA University of Utah Department of Internal Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT, USA Electronic address
Thromb Res 135:636-42. 2015..We used a novel approach to quantify postoperative VTE events among Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) surgical patients during 2005-2010...
- Health care-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections increases the risk of postdischarge mortalityRichard E Nelson
IDEAS Center, Veterans Affairs Salt Lake City Health System, Salt Lake City, UT Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT Electronic address
Am J Infect Control 43:38-43. 2015..The purpose of this study was to quantify the effect of MRSA health care-acquired infections (HAIs) on mortality after hospital discharge...
- The effect of Medicare Part D on health care utilization for non-elderly Medicare recipients with disabilitiesRichard E Nelson
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT, USA VA Salt Lake City Health Care System, Salt Lake City, UT, USA Electronic address
Disabil Health J 7:64-9. 2014..The effect of Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage on non-elderly beneficiaries, most of whom have disabilities, has not been fully explored...
- A comparison of individualized treatment guided by VeriStrat with standard of care treatment strategies in patients receiving second-line treatment for advanced non-small cell lung cancer: A cost-utility analysisRichard E Nelson
VA Salt Lake City Health Care System, Salt Lake City, UT, United States University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT, United States Electronic address
Lung Cancer 82:461-8. 2013....
- Comparing adherence to two different HIV antiretroviral regimens: an instrumental variable analysisRichard E Nelson
George E Whalen Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 500 Foothill Drive, GRECC 182, Salt Lake City, UT 84148, USA
AIDS Behav 17:160-7. 2013..1 % of NNRTI patients. In multivariable analysis, starting a PI regimen was significantly associated with poor adherence for all 4 adherence thresholds using conventional regressions and instrumental variable methods...
- The effect of increased travel reimbursement rates on health care utilization in the VARichard E Nelson
Veterans Affairs Salt Lake City Health Care System, Salt Lake City, Utah 84148, USA
J Rural Health 28:192-201. 2012..5 cents per mile on February 1, 2008. We examined the effect of this policy change on utilization of outpatient, inpatient, and pharmacy services, stratifying veterans based on distance from a VA facility...
- Factors associated with screening or treatment initiation among male United States veterans at risk for osteoporosis fractureRichard E Nelson
George E Wahlen Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Bone 50:983-8. 2012..Results suggest that clinicians are relying on some, but not all, clinical risk factors when assessing osteoporosis risk...
- Predictors of oral bisphosphonate prescriptions in post-menopausal women with osteoporosis in a real-world setting in the USAC Asche
University of Utah College of Pharmacy, Salt Lake, UT, USA
Osteoporos Int 21:1427-36. 2010..5 in the Geisinger Health System electronic health record database. Treatment was positively associated with age, oral corticosteroids, and smoking, and negatively associated with body mass index and bone mineral density scores...
- Patent extension policy for paediatric indications: an evaluation of the impact within three drug classes in a state Medicaid programmeRichard E Nelson
School of Medicine, University of Utah, Division of Epidemiology, Salt Lake City, Utah 84148, USA
Appl Health Econ Health Policy 9:171-81. 2011..Branded drugs in the statin, ACE inhibitor and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) classes were three of many classes with drugs granted patent extensions...
- Cost-effectiveness of adding decolonization to a surveillance strategy of screening and isolation for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriersR E Nelson
VA Salt Lake City Health Care System, George E Whalen Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 500 Foothill Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84148, USA
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:1740-6. 2010..These results provide a strong economic argument for adding an MRSA decolonization protocol to the current VHA active surveillance strategy...
- Testing the Fetal Origins Hypothesis in a developing country: evidence from the 1918 Influenza PandemicRichard E Nelson
Pharmacotherapy Outcomes Research Center, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Health Econ 19:1181-92. 2010..These results underscore the importance of fetal health especially in developing countries...
- Predictors of Early Discontinuation of Pegylated Interferon for Reasons Other Than Lack of Efficacy in United States Veterans With Chronic Hepatitis CJoanne LaFleur
Joanne LaFleur, PharmD, MSPH, is Associate Professor, Pharmacotherapy Outcomes Research Center, Salt Lake City, Utah Robert Hoop, MPH, is Principal Health Economist, Genentech, South San Francisco, California Eli Korner, PharmD, is Senior Medical Science Director, Infectious Diseases, Genentech, South San Francisco, California Scott DuVall, PhD, is Research Assistant Professor, VA Salt Lake City Health Care System IDEAS Center, Salt Lake City, Utah Timothy Morgan, MD, is Chief of Hepatology, VA Long Beach Healthcare System, Long Beach, California Prashant Pandya, MD, is Associate Professor of Medicine, Kansas City VA Medical Center, Kansas City, Missouri Jian Han, PhD, is Statistician, Genentech, South San Francisco, California Kristin Knippenberg, The Scripps Research Institute
Gastroenterol Nurs 38:417-28. 2015..31) and antihypertensive agents (1.37). Our study suggests that many host factors may have contributed to non-LOE dual-therapy discontinuation in veterans and may possibly predict non-LOE discontinuation in triple therapy. ..
- Assessment of adherence, persistence, and costs among valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide retrospective cohorts in free-and fixed-dose combinationsDiana I Brixner
University of Utah College of Pharmacy, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 24:2597-607. 2008....
- High rates of early treatment discontinuation in hepatitis C-infected US veteransJoanne LaFleur
Pharmacotherapy Outcomes Research Center, University of Utah, 30 South 2000 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
BMC Res Notes 7:266. 2014..We quantified rates of discontinuation despite efficacy (non-LOE) versus lack of efficacy (LOE) versus discontinuation for unknown reasons in a national database of United States veterans...
- Utilization of travel reimbursement in the Veterans Health AdministrationRichard E Nelson
Veterans Affairs Salt Lake City Health Care System, Salt Lake City, Utah University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah
J Rural Health 30:128-38. 2014..5 cents per mile on November 17, 2008. We identified characteristics of veterans more likely to receive travel reimbursements and evaluated the impact of these increases on utilization of the benefit...
- Overestimation of the effects of adherence on outcomes: a case study in healthy user bias and hypertensionJoanne LaFleur
Department of Pharmacotherapy, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, 84112, USA
Heart 97:1862-9. 2011..Such studies are increasing in frequency across disease states and influence clinical practice. Adherence to antihypertensive medications was studied to illustrate confounding in such studies...
- The impact of a serum based proteomic mass spectrometry test on treatment recommendations in advanced non-small-cell lung cancerWallace L Akerley
Huntsman Comprehensive Cancer Center, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 29:517-25. 2013..To assess the impact of a serum-based proteomic test for non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) on physician treatment recommendations...
- Costs and infant outcomes after implementation of a care process model for febrile infantsCarrie L Byington
Department of Pediatrics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108, USA
Pediatrics 130:e16-24. 2012..Well-appearing febrile infants with SBI cannot be distinguished from those without by examination alone. Variation in care resulting in both undertreatment and overtreatment is common...
- Economic analysis of rapid and sensitive polymerase chain reaction testing in the emergency department for influenza infections in childrenRichard E Nelson
From the IDEAS Center, Salt Lake City Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Salt Lake City, UT Department of Internal Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT Intermountain Healthcare, Pediatric Clinical Program, Salt Lake City, UT Department of Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT and Associated Regional and University Pathologists, Inc, Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology, Salt Lake City, UT
Pediatr Infect Dis J 34:577-82. 2015..However, the cost-effectiveness of rapid multiplex PCR assays for influenza has not been compared with other diagnostic methods in children...
- Correlates of Initiation of Treatment for Chronic Hepatitis C Infection in United States Veterans, 2004-2009Adi V Gundlapalli
Informatics, Decision Enhancement, and Surveillance IDEAS Center, VA Salt Lake City Health Care System, Salt Lake City, Utah, United States of America University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah, United States of America
PLoS ONE 10:e0132056. 2015..As newer therapies become available for HCV, these results may inform further studies and guide strategies to increase treatment rates in all U.S. Veterans and those who experience homelessness. ..
- Long-term cost-effectiveness of initiating treatment for painful diabetic neuropathy with pregabalin, duloxetine, gabapentin, or desipramineBrandon K Bellows
aUniversity of Utah College of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacotherapy, Salt Lake City, UT, USA bSelectHealth, Salt Lake City, UT, USA cUniversity of Utah School of Medicine, Division of Epidemiology, Salt Lake City, UT, USA dVeterans Affairs Salt Lake City Health Care System, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Pain 157:203-13. 2016..3% of the simulations, DES in 29.2%, GABA in 14.4%, and PRE in 0.1%. Starting with DUL is the most cost-effective option for PDN when WTP is greater than $22,867/QALY. Decision makers may consider starting with DUL for PDN patients. ..
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of fecal microbiota transplantation for recurrent Clostridium difficile infectionRaghu U Varier
1Department of Pediatrics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 36:438-44. 2015..The purpose of this study was to estimate the cost-effectiveness of FMT compared with vancomycin for the treatment of RCDI in adults, specifically following guidelines proposed by the ACG and AGA...