Peter T Nelson
Affiliation: University of Kentucky
- Nelson P, Jicha G, Kryscio R, Abner E, Schmitt F, Cooper G, et al. Low sensitivity in clinical diagnoses of dementia with Lewy bodies. J Neurol. 2010;257:359-66 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that further work is needed to refine our ability to identify specific aging-related brain disease mechanisms, especially in DLB. ..
- Nelson P, Kryscio R, Jicha G, Abner E, Schmitt F, Xu L, et al. Relative preservation of MMSE scores in autopsy-proven dementia with Lewy bodies. Neurology. 2009;73:1127-33 pubmed publisher..Instead, neocortical Lewy bodies appear to constitute or reflect an additive disease process, requiring Alzheimer disease or other concomitant brain diseases to induce severe global cognitive deterioration. ..
- Nelson P, Abner E, Schmitt F, Kryscio R, Jicha G, Smith C, et al. Modeling the association between 43 different clinical and pathological variables and the severity of cognitive impairment in a large autopsy cohort of elderly persons. Brain Pathol. 2010;20:66-79 pubmed publisher..There was no support for independent association between CILA severity and most evaluated indices including diffuse plaques, argyrophilic grains, heart disease, education level, apolipoprotein E alleles or diabetes. ..
- Nelson P, Katsumata Y, Nho K, Artiushin S, Jicha G, Wang W, et al. Genomics and CSF analyses implicate thyroid hormone in hippocampal sclerosis of aging. Acta Neuropathol. 2016;132:841-858 pubmed..We conclude that brain thyroid hormone perturbation is a potential pathogenetic factor in HS that may also provide the basis for a novel CSF-based clinical biomarker. ..
- Ighodaro E, Abner E, Fardo D, Lin A, Katsumata Y, Schmitt F, et al. Risk factors and global cognitive status related to brain arteriolosclerosis in elderly individuals. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2017;37:201-216 pubmed..We conclude that brain arteriolosclerosis is associated with altered cognitive status and a novel vascular genetic risk factor. ..
- Nelson P, Estus S, Abner E, Parikh I, Malik M, Neltner J, et al. ABCC9 gene polymorphism is associated with hippocampal sclerosis of aging pathology. Acta Neuropathol. 2014;127:825-43 pubmed publisher..Controlling for important confounders such as diabetes itself, exposure to a sulfonylurea drug was associated with risk for HS-Aging pathology (p = 0.03). Thus, we describe a novel and targetable dementia risk factor. ..
- Scheff S, Neltner J, Nelson P. Is synaptic loss a unique hallmark of Alzheimer's disease?. Biochem Pharmacol. 2014;88:517-28 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that synapse loss is probably not a hallmark specific to AD but rather a change common to many diseases associated with dementia. ..
- Nelson P, Schmitt F, Jicha G, Kryscio R, Abner E, Smith C, et al. Association between male gender and cortical Lewy body pathology in large autopsy series. J Neurol. 2010;257:1875-81 pubmed publisher..05 for both). Males are far more likely than females to die with neocortical LB pathology. This phenomenon may help guide medical practice including clinical trial study design. ..
- Nelson P, Wang W. MiR-107 is reduced in Alzheimer's disease brain neocortex: validation study. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010;21:75-9 pubmed publisher..02) in adjacent brain tissue. Adjusted miR-107 and BACE1 mRNA levels tended to correlate negatively (trend with regression P< 0.07). In sum, miR-107 expression tends to be lower relative to other miRNAs as AD progresses. ..
- Wang W, Danaher R, Miller C, Berger J, Nubia V, Wilfred B, et al. Expression of miR-15/107 family microRNAs in human tissues and cultured rat brain cells. Genomics Proteomics Bioinformatics. 2014;12:19-30 pubmed publisher..In summary, we provide a detailed study of the tissue and cell type-specific expression profile of this highly expressed and phylogenetically conserved family of miRNA genes. ..
- Nelson P, Smith C, Abner E, Wilfred B, Wang W, Neltner J, et al. Hippocampal sclerosis of aging, a prevalent and high-morbidity brain disease. Acta Neuropathol. 2013;126:161-77 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the published literature on HS-Aging provides strong evidence of an important and under-appreciated brain disease of aging. Unfortunately, there is no therapy or preventive strategy currently available...
- Nelson P, Alafuzoff I, Bigio E, Bouras C, Braak H, Cairns N, et al. Correlation of Alzheimer disease neuropathologic changes with cognitive status: a review of the literature. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2012;71:362-81 pubmed publisher..Although A? plaques may play a key role in AD pathogenesis, the severity of cognitive impairment correlates best with the burden of neocortical neurofibrillary tangles. ..
- Nelson P, Schmitt F, Lin Y, Abner E, Jicha G, Patel E, et al. Hippocampal sclerosis in advanced age: clinical and pathological features. Brain. 2011;134:1506-18 pubmed publisher..In summary, in the largest series of autopsy-verified patients with hippocampal sclerosis to date, we characterized the clinical and pathological features associated with hippocampal sclerosis associated with ageing. ..
- Nelson P, Head E, Schmitt F, Davis P, Neltner J, Jicha G, et al. Alzheimer's disease is not "brain aging": neuropathological, genetic, and epidemiological human studies. Acta Neuropathol. 2011;121:571-87 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, it may be most fruitful to focus attention on specific pathways involved in AD rather than attributing it to an inevitable consequence of aging. ..
- Nelson P, Braak H, Markesbery W. Neuropathology and cognitive impairment in Alzheimer disease: a complex but coherent relationship. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2009;68:1-14 pubmed publisher..We argue that existing data strongly support the hypothesis that both amyloid plaques and NFTs contribute to cognitive impairment. ..
- Nelson P, Abner E, Scheff S, Schmitt F, Kryscio R, Jicha G, et al. Alzheimer's-type neuropathology in the precuneus is not increased relative to other areas of neocortex across a range of cognitive impairment. Neurosci Lett. 2009;450:336-9 pubmed publisher..Our results are not consistent with the idea that the precuneus is involved in a special way with plaques or tangles relative to other areas of neocortex. ..