Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of North Carolina
- Homogeneous time-resolved fluorescence resonance energy transfer assay for measurement of Phox/Bem1p (PB1) domain heterodimerizationKazuhiro Nakamura
Department of Pharmacology and the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7365, USA
J Biomol Screen 13:396-405. 2008..Disruption of PB1 domain interactions represents a novel approach for selectively regulating the ERK5 signaling pathway independent of kinase active site-directed adenosine triphosphate competitive inhibitors...
- PB1 domain-dependent signaling complex is required for extracellular signal-regulated kinase 5 activationKazuhiro Nakamura
Department of Pharmacology, CB 7365, 1108 Mary Ellen Jones Building, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7365, USA
Mol Cell Biol 26:2065-79. 2006..The MEK5 PB1 domain confers stringent MAP3K regulation of ERK5 relative to more promiscuous MAP3K control of ERK1/2, JNK, and p38...
- Noncanonical function of MEKK2 and MEK5 PB1 domains for coordinated extracellular signal-regulated kinase 5 and c-Jun N-terminal kinase signalingKazuhiro Nakamura
Department of Pharmacology, 1108 Mary Ellen Jones Building, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7365, USA
Mol Cell Biol 27:4566-77. 2007..The findings define how the MEKK2 and MEK5 PB1 domains are uniquely used for differential binding of two mitogen-activated protein kinase kinases, MEK5 and MKK7, for the coordinated control of ERK5 and c-Jun N-terminal kinase activation...
- MicroRNA 9-3p targets β1 integrin to sensitize claudin-low breast cancer cells to MEK inhibitionJon S Zawistowski
Department of Pharmacology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Mol Cell Biol 33:2260-74. 2013..The miRNA screen led to identification of a druggable protein, ITGB1, whose functional inhibition synergizes with MEK inhibitor...
- PB1 domain interaction of p62/sequestosome 1 and MEKK3 regulates NF-kappaB activationKazuhiro Nakamura
Department of Pharmacology and Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7365, USA
J Biol Chem 285:2077-89. 2010..The rear end acidic cluster of the p62 PB1 domain is used to organize cytosolic aggregates or speckles-associated TRAF6-p62-MEKK3 complex for control of NF-kappaB activation...
- Wiring diagrams of MAPK regulation by MEKK1, 2, and 3Mark T Uhlik
Department of Pharmacology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 1108 Mary Ellen Jones Building, CB 7365, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Biochem Cell Biol 82:658-63. 2004..We propose that signal transduction network wiring diagrams are valuable tools for hypothesis building and filtering physiologically relevant phenotypic responses from less connected protein relations in the regulation of MAPK pathways...
- Ablation of MEKK4 kinase activity causes neurulation and skeletal patterning defects in the mouse embryoAmy N Abell
Department of Pharmacology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 27599 7365, USA
Mol Cell Biol 25:8948-59. 2005..Together, these data demonstrate MEKK4 regulation of p38 and that substrates downstream of p38 control cellular homeostasis. The findings are the first demonstration that MEKK4-regulated p38 activity is critical for neurulation...
- Activity assays for extracellular signal-regulated kinase 5Kazuhiro Nakamura
Department of Pharmacology and Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Methods Mol Biol 661:91-106. 2010..ERK5 is also critical for maintenance of vascular integrity and endothelial cell survival. In this chapter, we define methods used to measure the activation of ERK5 using different biochemical and cell-based assays...
- In vivo profiling endogenous interactions with knock-out in mammalian cellsLing Xie
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, 120 Mason Farm Road, Genetic Medicine, Ste 3010, Campus Box No 7260, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7260, USA
Anal Chem 81:1411-7. 2009..Because of the availability of a large library of knockout mice models with various target proteins of biological interests our method is generally applicable to screen any endogenous target-specific PPIs of physiological relevance...
- The c-jun kinase/stress-activated pathway: regulation, function and role in human diseaseGary L Johnson
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Department of Pharmacology, and Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, 31 331 LCC Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1773:1341-8. 2007..In this review, we present our current understanding of JNK regulation and their involvement in homeostasis and dysregulation in human disease...
- Dynamic reprogramming of the kinome in response to targeted MEK inhibition in triple-negative breast cancerJames S Duncan
Department of Pharmacology, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Cell 149:307-21. 2012..This approach defines mechanisms of drug resistance, allowing rational design of combination therapies for cancer...
- PB1 domains of MEKK2 and MEKK3 interact with the MEK5 PB1 domain for activation of the ERK5 pathwayKazuhiro Nakamura
Department of Pharmacology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7365, USA
J Biol Chem 278:36989-92. 2003..The free PB1 domain of MEKK2 or MEKK3 functions effectively to inhibit the ERK5 pathway but not the p38 or JNK pathways, demonstrating the specific and unique requirement of the MEKK2 and MEKK3 PB1 domain in regulating ERK5 activation...
- A monoclonal antibody to the alpha2 domain of murine major histocompatibility complex class I that specifically kills activated lymphocytes and blocks liver damage in the concanavalin A hepatitis modelShuji Matsuoka
Department of Pathology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, 2 1 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
J Exp Med 198:497-503. 2003....
- Role of a serotonin precursor in development of gut microvilliKazuhiro Nakamura
Department of Biosciences, Teikyo University of Science and Technology, Uenohara 409 0193, Japan
Am J Pathol 172:333-44. 2008..Thus, 5-HTP and serotonin contribute to distinct cell-type-specific functions via common mediators. Our study might create an opportunity to explore the effects of exogenously applied 5-HTP in humans...
- Plasma lysophosphatidic acid level and serum autotaxin activity are increased in liver injury in rats in relation to its severityNaoko Watanabe
Department of Gastroenterology, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
Life Sci 81:1009-15. 2007..Whether increased ATX and LPA in the blood in liver injury is simply a result or also a cause of the injury should be further clarified...
- In vivo cross-linking of nucleosomal histones catalyzed by nuclear transglutaminase in starfish sperm and its induction by egg jelly triggering the acrosome reactionKazuto Nunomura
Department of Applied Biochemistry, Hiroshima University, Higashi Hiroshima, Hiroshima, Japan
Eur J Biochem 270:3750-9. 2003..This is the first demonstration of an in vivo activation of transglutaminase leading to the formation of a cross-link in intracellular proteins...
- Molecular characterization of a novel nuclear transglutaminase that is expressed during starfish embryogenesisHiroyuki Sugino
Department of Applied Biochemistry, Hiroshima University, Japan
Eur J Biochem 269:1957-67. 2002..These results suggest that the nuclear accumulation of the transglutaminase may play an important role in nuclear remodeling during early starfish embryogenesis...