Peter D Nagy
Affiliation: University of Kentucky
- Prasanth K, Barajas D, Nagy P. The proteasomal Rpn11 metalloprotease suppresses tombusvirus RNA recombination and promotes viral replication via facilitating assembly of the viral replicase complex. J Virol. 2015;89:2750-63 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results show that the co-opted cellular Rpn11 is a critical host factor for tombusviruses by regulating viral replication and genetic recombination. ..
- Kovalev N, de Castro MartÃn I, Pogany J, Barajas D, Pathak K, Risco C, et al. Role of Viral RNA and Co-opted Cellular ESCRT-I and ESCRT-III Factors in Formation of Tombusvirus Spherules Harboring the Tombusvirus Replicase. J Virol. 2016;90:3611-26 pubmed publisher..The work could be of broad interest in virology and beyond. ..
- Imura Y, Molho M, Chuang C, Nagy P. Cellular Ubc2/Rad6 E2 ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme facilitates tombusvirus replication in yeast and plants. Virology. 2015;484:265-75 pubmed publisher..We provide evidence that Rad6p is involved in promoting the subversion of Vps23p and Vps4p ESCRT proteins for viral replicase complex assembly. ..
- Prasanth K, Kovalev N, de Castro MartÃn I, Baker J, Nagy P. Screening a yeast library of temperature-sensitive mutants reveals a role for actin in tombusvirus RNA recombination. Virology. 2016;489:233-42 pubmed publisher..Overall, this work shows that the actin network affects tombusvirus recombination in yeast and plant cells. ..
- Nagy P, Pogany J, Xu K. Cell-Free and Cell-Based Approaches to Explore the Roles of Host Membranes and Lipids in the Formation of Viral Replication Compartment Induced by Tombusviruses. Viruses. 2016;8:68 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, all the known steps in TBSV replication are dependent on cellular lipids and co-opted membranes. ..
- Nagy P, Wang R, Pogany J, Hafren A, Makinen K. Emerging picture of host chaperone and cyclophilin roles in RNA virus replication. Virology. 2011;411:374-82 pubmed publisher..This review also discusses the emerging roles of cyclophilins, which are peptidyl-prolyl isomerases with chaperone functions, in replication of selected (+)RNA viruses. ..
- Shapka N, Nagy P. The AU-rich RNA recombination hot spot sequence of Brome mosaic virus is functional in tombusviruses: implications for the mechanism of RNA recombination. J Virol. 2004;78:2288-300 pubmed..In summary, evidence is presented that a tombusvirus can use the recombination signal of BMV. This supports the idea that common AU-rich recombination signals might promote interviral recombination between unrelated viruses...
- Nagy P, Pogany J. Yeast as a model host to dissect functions of viral and host factors in tombusvirus replication. Virology. 2006;344:211-20 pubmed..The knowledge obtained will likely stimulate development of new antiviral methods as well as other approaches that could make tombusviruses useful tools in biotechnological applications...
- Chuang C, Prasanth K, Nagy P. The Glycolytic Pyruvate Kinase Is Recruited Directly into the Viral Replicase Complex to Generate ATP for RNA Synthesis. Cell Host Microbe. 2017;22:639-652.e7 pubmed publisher..Altogether, recruitment of PK and local production of ATP within the replication compartment allow the virus replication machinery an access to plentiful ATP, facilitating robust virus replication. ..
- Pogany J, White K, Nagy P. Specific binding of tombusvirus replication protein p33 to an internal replication element in the viral RNA is essential for replication. J Virol. 2005;79:4859-69 pubmed..Since all genera in Tombusviridae encode comparable replicase proteins, these results may be relevant to other members of this large virus family...
- Nagy P, Pogany J. The dependence of viral RNA replication on co-opted host factors. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2011;10:137-49 pubmed publisher..This Review presents the recent progress that has been made in understanding the role of co-opted host proteins and membranes during (+)RNA virus replication, and discusses common themes employed by different viruses...