Mark G Myers
Affiliation: University of California
- The temptation-coping questionnaire: development and validationM G Myers
University of California at San Diego, USA
J Subst Abuse 7:463-79. 1995..These results reinforce the importance of behavioral and cognitive strategies for managing temptations to use alcohol, drugs, or both...
- A controlled study of a cigarette smoking cessation intervention for adolescents in substance abuse treatmentMark G Myers
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 19:230-3. 2005..These findings provide initial support for the efficacy of a smoking cessation intervention delivered in the context of adolescent substance abuse treatment...
- Measuring adolescent smoking cessation strategies: instrument development and initial validationMark G Myers
University of California, San Diego, and Veteran Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:1131-8. 2007..The present findings thus provide initial support for the utility and criterion validity of this newly developed measure...
- Adolescent reasons for quitting smoking: initial psychometric evaluationMark G Myers
Psychology Service, Veteran Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, University of California, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 22:129-34. 2008..In particular, the Social Disapproval and Long-Term Concerns subscales significantly predicted subsequent cessation attempts. As such, the ARFQ may prove valuable for informing interventions to encourage adolescent smoking cessation...
- Does smoking intervention influence adolescent substance use disorder treatment outcomes?Mark G Myers
Psychology Service, V A San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Subst Abus 29:81-8. 2008..These findings suggest that tobacco focused intervention may enhance SUD treatment outcome. The present study provides further evidence for the value of addressing tobacco use in the context of treatment for adolescent SUD's...
- A prospective study of cigarette smoking initiation during college: Chinese and Korean American studentsMark G Myers
Psychology Service, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Health Psychol 28:448-56. 2009..The present study was a prospective investigation of baseline influences on initial smoking and transition to established smoking among college students who had not smoked prior to college...
- Coping with temptations and adolescent smoking cessation: an initial investigationMark G Myers
Psychology Service, 116B, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 11:940-4. 2009..The STCQ, which assesses coping in a social pressure situation involving cigarettes, was adapted from the Temptation Coping Questionnaire, a brief self-report measure of adolescent coping with temptations to use alcohol and other drugs...
- Smoking cessation efforts among substance abusing adolescentsMark G Myers
Department of Psychiatry, Psychology Service, 116B, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive University of California, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 73:209-13. 2004..Health emerged as a frequently endorsed motive for cessation and stopping abruptly (cold turkey) was the most commonly reported strategy for quitting...
- Social anxiety, negative affectivity, and substance use among high school studentsMark G Myers
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 17:277-83. 2003..The findings confirm that negative affectivity is positively related to adolescent substance use, whereas social anxiety appears to be protective against substance involvement...
- Is cigarette smoking related to alcohol use during the 8 years following treatment for adolescent alcohol and other drug abuse?Mark G Myers
Veterans Affairs San Diego Health Care System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Alcohol Alcohol 42:226-33. 2007..The present study examined the relationship between cigarette smoking and alcohol use outcomes over an 8-year period following treatment for adolescent alcohol and other drug (AOD) use disorders...
- Progression from conduct disorder to antisocial personality disorder following treatment for adolescent substance abuseM G Myers
School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, USA
Am J Psychiatry 155:479-85. 1998..The utility of factors assessed at the time of treatment in predicting progression to adult antisocial personality disorder was evaluated in the context of developmental models of antisocial behavior...
- Smoking intervention with adolescent substance abusers. Initial recommendationsM G Myers
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego
J Subst Abuse Treat 16:289-98. 1999..It is suggested that tobacco-focused interventions be incorporated as a routine part of treatment for adolescent substance abuse...
- Adolescent first lapse following smoking cessation: situation characteristics, precipitants and proximal influencesMark G Myers
Psychology Service, Veteran Affairs San Diego Healthcare System University of California, San Diego, Psychology 116B, VASDHS, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, CA 92161, USA
Addict Behav 36:1253-60. 2011..e., cessation expectancies) and combating perceptions of the ability to smoke occasionally...
- Cross validation of the Social Anxiety Scale for Adolescents in a high school sampleMark G Myers
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System and Department of Phychiatry, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Anxiety Disord 16:221-32. 2002..As such, the present study provides initial support for the utility of the revised SAS-A as a measure of social anxiety in adolescent school samples...
- Constructing a short form of the Smoking Consequences Questionnaire with adolescents and young adultsMark G Myers
Psychology Service, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, California, USA
Psychol Assess 15:163-72. 2003..The present studies provide initial evidence for the utility of the S-SCQ when used with young adults and adolescents...
- Intentions to quit smoking among youth in substance abuse treatmentDanielle E Ramo
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, 401 Parnassus Avenue, TRC 0984, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 106:48-51. 2010..The current study examined tobacco use, smoking-related self-efficacy, substance use and intentions to quit using alcohol and illicit drugs as correlates of intentions to quit smoking among youth in SUD treatment...
- Stability of heavy episodic drinking in Chinese- and Korean-American college students: effects of ALDH2 gene status and behavioral undercontrolNeal Doran
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 68:789-97. 2007..The purpose of this longitudinal study was to examine the roles of ALDH2 and behavioral undercontrol (a temperamental trait that is associated with conduct disorder) in stability of heavy episodic drinking...
- Progression to problem drinking among Mexican American and White European first-year college students: a multiple group analysisC Amanda Schweizer
San Diego State University University of California, San Diego, Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, 6363 Alvarado Court, Suite 103, San Diego, California 92120 4929, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 72:975-80. 2011..Problem drinking during college is a well-known phenomenon. However, predictors of progression to problematic drinking, particularly among ethnic minorities such as Mexican Americans, have received limited research attention...
- Initiating moderate to heavy alcohol use predicts changes in neuropsychological functioning for adolescent girls and boysLindsay M Squeglia
San Diego State University University of San Diego Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology and VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 23:715-22. 2009..Neurocognitive deficits linked to heavy drinking during this critical developmental period may lead to direct and indirect changes in neuromaturational course, with effects that would extend into adulthood...
- Thinking and drinking: alcohol-related cognitions across stages of adolescent alcohol involvementNicole M Bekman
Department of Psychology, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive MC0109, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 25:415-25. 2011..Future exploration of temporal relationships between changes in alcohol-related cognitions and behavioral decision making will be useful in the refinement of effective prevention and intervention strategies...
- Cigarette smoking among adolescents with alcohol and other drug use problemsMark G Myers
University of California, San Diego, California, USA
Alcohol Res Health 29:221-7. 2006..Additional research is needed to further address the inclusion of tobacco-specific interventions for adolescents in AOD use disorder treatment programs...
- Invariance study of an adolescent survey-based smoking-related cognitions scale: examination across Hispanic and Caucasian groupsLaura MacPherson
Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, University of California, San Diego and San Diego State University, San Diego, CA, USA
Prev Med 39:1026-35. 2004..Large-scale surveys frequently assess tobacco-related cognitions, however, few studies have examined the psychometric properties and cultural invariance of such measures...
- Neurocognitive ability in adults coping with alcohol and drug relapse temptationsSusan F Tapert
University of California, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 30:445-60. 2004..For those with neuropsychological deficits, coping skills training may need to take cognitive limitations into consideration...
- Psychosocial, cultural and genetic influences on alcohol use in Asian American youthChristian S Hendershot
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92161, USA
J Stud Alcohol 66:185-95. 2005..The present study assessed parental alcohol use, acculturation and ALDH2 gene status in relation to lifetime, current and heavy episodic drinking among Chinese and Korean American undergraduates...
- Do expectancies for reinforcement from smoking change after smoking initiation?Neal Doran
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 25:101-7. 2011..Findings suggest that PRE and NRE change significantly following experience with smoking. Furthermore, undercontrolled, impulsive individuals may be particularly vulnerable to smoking with the intention of alleviating aversive states...
- Telephone counseling to implement best parenting practices to prevent adolescent problem behaviorsJohn P Pierce
Cancer Prevention and Control Program, Moores UCSD Cancer Center, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0901, USA
Contemp Clin Trials 29:324-34. 2008....
- Adolescents' participation in Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous: review, implications and future directionsJohn F Kelly
MGH Harvard Addiction Research Program, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Psychoactive Drugs 39:259-69. 2007..Qualitative research is needed to improve our understanding of youth-specific AA/NA barriers, and efficacy, comparative effectiveness, and process studies are still needed to inform clinical practice guidelines for youth providers...
- Self-efficacy mediates the relationship between depression and length of abstinence after treatment among youth but not among adultsDanielle E Ramo
Department of Psychiatry, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Subst Use Misuse 45:2301-22. 2010..Depression was negatively associated with self-efficacy, and self-efficacy predicted time to first substance use, but there was no mediation. Study implications and limitations are noted...
- What do adolescents exposed to Alcoholics Anonymous think about 12-step groups?John F Kelly
MGH Addiction Research Program, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital Center for Addiction Medicine, 60 Staniford Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Subst Abus 29:53-62. 2008..Evidence suggests some youth benefit, yet, despite referrals, youth participation is low. Little is known about adolescents' experiences of AA/NA. Greater knowledge would inform and help tailor aftercare recommendations...
- A prospective study of the effects of the DRD2/ANKK1 TaqIA polymorphism and impulsivity on smoking initiationNeal Doran
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, California 92161, USA
Subst Use Misuse 48:106-16. 2013..Effects were stronger in Asian Americans. Findings have implications for improving prevention by including elements focused on urges to seek positive or negative reinforcement. Limitations and future directions are discussed...
- Smoking cessation efforts among substance abusers with and without psychiatric comorbidityMarina Unrod
Department of Cancer Prevention and Control, Derald H Ruttenberg Cancer Center, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1130, New York, NY 10029, USA
Addict Behav 29:1009-13. 2004..The presence of a psychiatric disorder, in conjunction with a substance use disorder, does not appear to deter smoking cessation efforts in early recovery...
- Nicotine dependence measures among adolescents with psychiatric disorders: evaluating symptom expression as a function of dependence severityDavid R Strong
Brown University and Butler Hospital, Providence RI 02906, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 5:735-46. 2003..These analyses provide us with some preliminary understanding of the severity of particular symptoms and the order in which symptoms are likely to be expressed across levels of nicotine dependence...
- Do adolescents affiliate with 12-step groups? A multivariate process model of effectsJohn F Kelly
Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Healthcare System and Stanford University School of Medicine, Menlo Park, California 94025, USA
J Stud Alcohol 63:293-304. 2002....
- Negative affect combines with smoking outcome expectancies to predict smoking behavior over timeLee M Cohen
Department of Psychology, Texas Tech University, Lubbock 79409-2051, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 16:91-7. 2002..Positive expectancies did not function as a moderator of negative affect's relation with smoking behavior. These results represent an important step in incorporating smoking outcome expectancies into multivariate models of smoking risk...
- Effect of depressive symptoms on smoking abstinence and treatment adherence among smokers with a history of alcohol dependenceChristi A Patten
Nicotine Research Center, Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 16:135-42. 2002..Smokers with a history of alcohol dependence reporting high levels of depressive symptoms may benefit from a mood management intervention...
- Nicotine dependence symptoms among adolescents with psychiatric disorders: using a Rasch model to evaluate symptom expression across timeDavid R Strong
Brown Medical School and Butler Hospital, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:557-69. 2007..Results suggest that DSM-IV and mFTQ measures of nicotine dependence provide complementary information when assessing nicotine dependence levels among adolescents with psychiatric disorders...
- Motivational enhancement and coping skills training for cocaine abusers: effects on substance use outcomesDamaris J Rohsenow
Providence VA Medical Center, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Addiction 99:862-74. 2004..Effects of MET were hypothesized to be greater with CST and for less motivated patients...
- Ethnic variation in CYP2A6*7, CYP2A6*8 and CYP2A6*10 as assessed with a novel haplotyping methodJill C Mwenifumbo
University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Pharmacogenet Genomics 15:189-92. 2005..Our new method demonstrated higher frequencies of CYP2A6*7 and CYP2A6*10, and a lower frequency of CYP2A6*8 in Asian populations, but no significant change of allele frequencies in Caucasian or African-Canadian populations...
- Adolescent definitions of change in smoking behavior: an investigationLaura MacPherson
Brown Medical School and Butler Hospital, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 8:683-7. 2006..Findings highlight the importance of using clearly defined questionnaire items when assessing adolescent smoking change efforts...
- Youth Tobacco Use Initiation, Progression and CessationMark Myers; Fiscal Year: 2007..Funding of Dr. Myers Independent Scientist Award will provide him the opportunity to substantially increase the time devoted to research activities, thus enhancing his development as a scientist and as a mentor. ..