D E Morisky
Affiliation: University of California
- Predictive validity of a medication adherence measure in an outpatient settingDonald E Morisky
Department of Community Health Sciences, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 10:348-54. 2008....
- Validation of an abbreviated Treatment Satisfaction Questionnaire for Medication (TSQM-9) among patients on antihypertensive medicationsMurtuza Bharmal
Quintiles Inc, Falls Church, Virginia, USA
Health Qual Life Outcomes 7:36. 2009..4 but without the five items of the side effects domain was created. In this study, an interactive voice response system (IVRS)-administered TSQM-9 was psychometrically evaluated among patients taking antihypertensive medication...
- Impact of a social influence intervention on condom use and sexually transmitted infections among establishment-based female sex workers in the Philippines: a multilevel analysisDonald E Morisky
Department of Community Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Health Psychol 25:595-603. 2006..Because interventions were implemented at the city level, baseline and follow-up city differences were analyzed to rule out intervention effects due to preexisting differences...
- HIV/AIDS prevention among the male population: results of a peer education program for taxicab and tricycle drivers in the PhilippinesDonald E Morisky
School of Public Health, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Health Educ Behav 32:57-68. 2005..31, df=2, p=.001). The peer-mediated intervention was found to be an effective means of HIV/AIDS prevention among taxi and tricycle drivers in the Philippines...
- The effects of a disease management program on self-reported health behaviors and health outcomes: evidence from the "Florida: a healthy state (FAHS)" Medicaid programDonald E Morisky
UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, California, USA
Health Educ Behav 36:505-17. 2009..19 points (p < .01) in Year 1 and 0.29 points (p < .01) in Year 2. Patients in the disease management program benefited in terms of controlling hypertension, asthma symptoms, and cholesterol and blood glucose levels...
- A model HIV/AIDS risk reduction programme in the Philippines: a comprehensive community-based approach through participatory action researchDonald E Morisky
UCLA School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Health Promot Int 19:69-76. 2004..01). These findings illustrate the appropriateness of using PAR methodology in promoting and sustaining positive behavior change...
- Validating the effects of social desirability on self-reported condom use behavior among commercial sex workersDonald E Morisky
Department of Community Health Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles School of Public Health, 90095 1772, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 14:351-60. 2002..79, p < .01). It was concluded that no social desirability bias existed with the self-reported condom use scale. Furthermore, the condom use measure was found to have a high level of concurrent validity with STI outcomes...
- Behavioral interventions for the control of tuberculosis among adolescentsD E Morisky
Dept of Community Health Services, School of Public Health, University of California Los Angeles, Box 951772, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Public Health Rep 116:568-74. 2001..The authors developed and tested the effects of innovative educational strategies on infected adolescents at two health centers serving ethnically diverse populations...
- The impact of the work environment on condom use among female bar workers in the PhilippinesDonald E Morisky
Department of Community Health Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Public Health 90095 1772, USA
Health Educ Behav 29:461-72. 2002....
- Reducing alcohol use, sex risk behaviors, and sexually transmitted infections among Filipina female bar workers: effects of an ecological interventionDonald E Morisky
Department of Community Health Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
J Prev Interv Community 38:104-17. 2010..Based on the findings, future research on the adaptability of this intervention to FBWs residing in HIV epicenters is warranted...
- The effects of establishment practices, knowledge and attitudes on condom use among Filipina sex workersD E Morisky
University of California, Los Angeles, USA, School of Public Health, Center for Health Sciences 90095 1772, USA
AIDS Care 10:213-20. 1998..The preliminary findings point to the importance of an intervention that stresses changes in establishment policies and expectations as a means of reducing risk behaviours associated with HIV/STD transmission...
- Educational and structural interventions and their impact on condom use and STI/HIV prevention for Filipina women and male customersDonald E Morisky
Department of Community Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Asia Pac J Public Health 22:151S-158S. 2010..A 10-year study among high-risk populations (female bar workers and their male customers) in the Philippines identifies major components of a model HIV prevention program...
- Asia--the new epidemic zone for HIV/AIDSD E Morisky
School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles 90095 1772, USA
J Health Commun 3:185-91. 1998....
- Acculturation and interrelationships between problem and health-promoting behaviors among Latino adolescentsV J Ebin
University of California Los Angeles, USA
J Adolesc Health 28:62-72. 2001..g., seat belt use, vitamin intake, hours of sleep per night) and (b) the interrelationships among problem and health-promoting behaviors among Latino adolescents...
- 'Don't know' and 'didn't think of it': condom use at first intercourse by Latino adolescentsC D Sneed
University of California, Los Angeles 90024, USA
AIDS Care 13:303-8. 2001..The remaining demographic factors were not significantly related to use of condoms at first intercourse nor to perceived risk for contracting HIV...
- Predictors of workplace sexual health policy at sex work establishments in the PhilippinesM Withers
University of California, Los Angeles, Department of Community Health Sciences, Los Angeles, California 90078, USA
AIDS Care 19:1020-5. 2007..Future HIV prevention programs may need to focus on helping smaller establishments, in particular those with less employees, to build capacity and develop sexual health policy guidelines...
- Effects of acculturation and psychosocial factors in Latino adolescents' TB-related behaviorsY Salabarría-Peña
University of California, Los Angeles, School of Public Health, USA
Ethn Dis 11:661-75. 2001....
- Patterns of adolescent alcohol, cigarette, and marijuana use over a 6-month periodC D Sneed
University of California, Los Angeles, 90024, USA
Addict Behav 26:415-23. 2001..The discussion focuses on the identification of the situational context of substance use for alcohol, cigarettes, and marijuana...
- Reducing sexual risk among Filipina female bar workers: effects of a CBPR-developed structural and network interventionDonald E Morisky
Department of Community Health Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 22:371-85. 2010..Given these findings, research is warranted to further explore and understand various forms of commercial sex work and to test adapted peer-educator and manger-training interventions within HIV epicenters...
- Adherence treatment factors in hypertensive African American womenMarie N Fongwa
University of California Los Angeles School of Nursing, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6917, USA
Vasc Health Risk Manag 4:157-66. 2008..Factors associated with adherence to treatment in African American women are unknown. The purpose of this study was to identify factors associated with adherence to hypertension treatment in African American women...
- The effect of disease management on utilization of services by race/ethnicity: evidence from the Florida Medicaid programGerald F Kominski
School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, 10960 Wilshire Blvd, Ste 1550, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Am J Manag Care 14:168-72. 2008..To measure possible racial/ethnic differences in a Florida disease management (DM) program on utilization of selected healthcare services for 4 chronic illnesses...
- Impact of disease management on health care utilization: evidence from the "Florida: A Healthy State (FAHS)" Medicaid ProgramAbdelmonem A Afifi
School of Public Health, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
Prev Med 44:547-53. 2007..To examine the impact of disease management on utilization of selected health care services...
- Costs and cost-effectiveness of adolescent compliance with treatment for latent tuberculosis infection: results from a randomized trialGerald F Kominski
Department of Health Services, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, California 90024, USA
J Adolesc Health 40:61-8. 2007..Assess the costs and cost-effectiveness of an incentive-based tuberculosis (TB) program designed to promote adolescents' compliance with treatment for latent TB infection (LTBI)...
- Correlates of HIV risk among Ecuadorian adolescentsIna U Park
School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles 90095 1772, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 14:73-83. 2002..The discussion focuses on the use of interventions and education for promoting safer sexual behavior among Ecuadorian adolescents...
- Evaluation of a school-based intervention for HIV/AIDS prevention among Belizean adolescentsJanni Kinsler
School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Health Educ Res 19:730-8. 2004..Overall, the findings indicate that the intervention had a positive impact on participants. Given the increasing rate of HIV/AIDS in Belize, especially among adolescents, this study has important implications for the country of Belize...
- Indices of lifetime polydrug use among adolescentsCarl D Sneed
School of Public Health, University of California, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1772, USA
J Adolesc 27:239-49. 2004..Implications for utilizing the count or weighted index versus a hierarchical index of lifetime polydrug use are discussed...
- A clinic and community-based approach to hypertension control for an underserved minority population: design and methodsH J Ward
Department of Medicine, King Drew Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90059, USA
Am J Hypertens 13:177-83. 2000..It was concluded that structural changes at the clinic site, along with the targeted interventions, would improve patient satisfaction, increase treatment adherence, and improve blood pressure control...
- Are condom instructions readable? Results of a readability studyG A Richwald
School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles
Public Health Rep 103:355-9. 1988..Clearly written instructions and simple concepts could assist current and future condom users in the correct use of condoms and improve the effectiveness of condoms in the prevention of AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases...
- Assessment of tuberculosis treatment completion in an ethnically diverse population using two data sources. Implications for treatment interventionsDonald E Morisky
University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Eval Health Prof 26:43-58. 2003..53; 95% CI .29-.95) remained significant predictors of completion of treatment. These findings indicate the need for age-specific educational reinforcement and cultural differentials in completing care for LTBI...
- Sexual intercourse and the age difference between adolescent females and their romantic partnersChristine E Kaestle
Department of Maternal and Child Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Perspect Sex Reprod Health 34:304-9. 2002..1). CONCLUSIONS: Young adolescent females with substantially older partners are much more likely than their peers to have sex with their partner, which exposes them to the risks of pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases...
- The application of psychosocial factors to HIV risk among Belizean adolescentsJanni Kinsler
J Adolesc Health 32:3-4. 2003
- The role of a regular sex partner in sexually transmitted infections and reinfections: results from the study of female entertainment establishment workers in the PhilippinesChi Chiao
Department of Public Health, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Sex Transm Dis 34:534-40. 2007..The main objective of this study is to understand the association between living with a regular sex partner, risk-taking behaviors, and one's history of sexually transmitted infections (STIs)...
- Sexually transmitted infections in travelers: implications for prevention and controlAbu Saleh M Abdullah
Department of Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Clin Infect Dis 39:533-8. 2004..We also outlined some programmatic aspects of public health that should be identified and addressed for the promotion of sexual health among travelers...
- The relationship between HIV/Sexually Transmitted Infection risk and alcohol use during commercial sex episodes: results from the study of female commercial sex workers in the PhilippinesChi Chiao
National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC
Subst Use Misuse 41:1509-33. 2006..These experiences and the limitations of this study are discussed...