Carlos T Moraes
Affiliation: University of Miami
- Moraes C, Kenyon L, Hao H. Mechanisms of human mitochondrial DNA maintenance: the determining role of primary sequence and length over function. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:3345-56 pubmed..In agreement with this hypothesis, marked variations in mtDNA levels did not affect the transcription of nuclear-coded factors involved in mtDNA replication. ..
- Peralta S, Goffart S, Williams S, Diaz F, Garcia S, Nissanka N, et al. ATAD3 controls mitochondrial cristae structure in mouse muscle, influencing mtDNA replication and cholesterol levels. J Cell Sci. 2018;131: pubmed publisher..i>This article has an associated First Person interview with the first author of the paper. ..
- Pereira C, Moraes C. Current strategies towards therapeutic manipulation of mtDNA heteroplasmy. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed). 2017;22:991-1010 pubmed..The current strategies to induce heteroplasmy shift of mtDNA and its implications will be comprehensively discussed. ..
- Tengan C, Moraes C. NO control of mitochondrial function in normal and transformed cells. Biochim Biophys Acta Bioenerg. 2017;1858:573-581 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Mitochondria in Cancer, edited by Giuseppe Gasparre, Rodrigue Rossignol and Pierre Sonveaux. ..
- Pinto M, Nissanka N, Peralta S, Brambilla R, Diaz F, Moraes C. Pioglitazone ameliorates the phenotype of a novel Parkinson's disease mouse model by reducing neuroinflammation. Mol Neurodegener. 2016;11:25 pubmed publisher..The motor phenotypes were improved by Pioglitazone treatment, suggesting that targetable secondary pathways can influence the development of certain forms of PD. ..
- Peralta S, Garcia S, Yin H, Arguello T, Diaz F, Moraes C. Sustained AMPK activation improves muscle function in a mitochondrial myopathy mouse model by promoting muscle fiber regeneration. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:3178-3191 pubmed publisher..We conclude that although increase in mitochondrial biogenesis and other pathways may contribute, the main mechanism by which AICAR improves the myopathy phenotype is by promoting muscle regeneration. ..
- Gammage P, Moraes C, Minczuk M. Mitochondrial Genome Engineering: The Revolution May Not Be CRISPR-Ized. Trends Genet. 2018;34:101-110 pubmed publisher..However, the existence of an endogenous mechanism for nucleic acid import into mammalian mitochondria, a prerequisite for mitochondrial CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing, remains controversial. ..
- Vempati U, Diaz F, Barrientos A, Narisawa S, Mian A, Millan J, et al. Role of cytochrome C in apoptosis: increased sensitivity to tumor necrosis factor alpha is associated with respiratory defects but not with lack of cytochrome C release. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:1771-83 pubmed..These studies underscore the importance of oxidative phosphorylation and apoptosome function to both the intrinsic and extrinsic apoptotic pathways. ..