SATDARSHAN SINGH MONGA
Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- β-Catenin loss in hepatocytes promotes hepatocellular cancer after diethylnitrosamine and phenobarbital administration to micePrince Kwaku Awuah
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e39771. 2012..Catenin downregulation also made hepatoma cells more sensitive to receptor tyrosine kinases and thus may be exploited for therapeutics...
- Hepatic regenerative medicine: exploiting the liver's will to liveSatdarshan P S Monga
Department of Pathology and Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Electronic address
Am J Pathol 184:306-8. 2014..This Guest Editorial introduces this month's special Liver Pathobiology Theme Issue, a series of reviews that encompass the discipline of hepatic regenerative medicine. ..
- β-Catenin knockdown in liver tumor cells by a cell permeable gamma guanidine-based peptide nucleic acidEvan Delgado
Endowed Chair for Experimental Pathology, Director Division of Experimental Pathology EP, Professor of Pathology EP and Medicine GI, Hepatology and Nutrition, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 200 Lothrop Street S 422 BST, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Curr Cancer Drug Targets 13:867-78. 2013....
- Beta-catenin antisense studies in embryonic liver cultures: role in proliferation, apoptosis, and lineage specificationSatdarshan P S Monga
Department of Cellular and Molecular Pathology, S421 BST, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Gastroenterology 124:202-16. 2003..The aim of this study was to investigate the role of beta-catenin, a key component of the Wnt pathway, in liver development as well as its normal distribution in developing liver...
- Role of Wnt/β-catenin signaling in liver metabolism and cancerSatdarshan Pal Singh Monga
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15216, United States
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 43:1021-9. 2011....
- Mouse fetal liver cells in artificial capillary beds in three-dimensional four-compartment bioreactorsSatdarshan P S Monga
Department of Pathology, McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, and the Department of Pharmacy, University of Pittsburgh, SOM, S421 BST, 200 Lothrop St, Pittsburgh PA 15261, USA
Am J Pathol 167:1279-92. 2005..Thus, fetal liver cells can survive, proliferate, differentiate, and function in a three-dimensional perfusion culture system while maintaining a progenitor pool, reflecting an important advance in hepatic tissue engineering...
- beta-Catenin regulation during matrigel-induced rat hepatocyte differentiationSatdarshan P S Monga
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, PA, 15261, USA
Cell Tissue Res 323:71-9. 2006..Thus, beta-catenin undergoes multifactorial regulation during matrigel-induced hepatocyte differentiation and maturation; this induces its stabilization and membrane translocation, possibly contributing to hepatocyte differentiation...
- Wnt'er in liver: expression of Wnt and frizzled genes in mouseGang Zeng
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Hepatology 45:195-204. 2007..CONCLUSION: These data indicate that most Wnt and frizzled genes are expressed in the liver and might be playing important roles in liver pathobiology via canonical and noncanonical pathways...
- beta-Catenin is critical for early postnatal liver growthUdayan Apte
Depts of Pathology and Medicine, Univ of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 200 Lothrop St, S 421 BST, Pittsburgh, PA 15216, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 292:G1578-85. 2007..These data indicate that the activation of beta-catenin is critical for early postnatal liver growth and development...
- Wnt/beta-catenin signaling mediates oval cell response in rodentsUdayan Apte
Department of Pathology Cellular and Molecular Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Hepatology 47:288-95. 2008..A dramatic decrease in the A6-positive oval cell numbers in the absence of beta-catenin demonstrated a critical role of beta-catenin in oval cell biology...
- Induction of nuclear translocation of constitutive androstane receptor by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha synthetic ligands in mouse liverDongsheng Guo
Department of Pathology, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611 3008, USA
J Biol Chem 282:36766-76. 2007..These observations, therefore, provide information for the first time to indicate that PPARalpha ligands not only serve as PPARalpha agonists but possibly act as CAR antagonists...
- Conditional deletion of beta-catenin reveals its role in liver growth and regenerationXinping Tan
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Gastroenterology 131:1561-72. 2006..The Wnt/beta-catenin pathway plays a role in liver growth and development. To address this conclusively, we used a conditional knockout approach to delete beta-catenin in the liver...
- Morpholino oligonucleotide-triggered beta-catenin knockdown compromises normal liver regenerationDimple Sodhi
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, S421 BST, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Hepatol 43:132-41. 2005..However, beta-catenin continues to be in hepatocyte nucleus and membrane, secondary to its increased gene expression at 6-72 h...
- Hepatocyte growth factor induces Wnt-independent nuclear translocation of beta-catenin after Met-beta-catenin dissociation in hepatocytesSatdarshan P S Monga
Division of Cellular and Molecular Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Cancer Res 62:2064-71. 2002..Part of the multifunctionality of HGF might be attributable to nuclear beta-catenin and the resulting target gene expression...
- beta-Catenin and met deregulation in childhood HepatoblastomasSarangarajan Ranganathan
Department of Pathology, S421 BST, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 8:435-47. 2005..In contrast, Met undergoes a prominent decrease after treatment and thus might be important in pathogenesis of hepatoblastoma...
- Wnt impacts growth and differentiation in ex vivo liver developmentSunny Z Hussain
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Exp Cell Res 292:157-69. 2004..The addition of insulin to the combination of HGF and Wnt provided no growth or differentiation advantage. Our results indicate usefulness of Wnt and HGF in hepatocyte cultures and suggest their balance during normal liver development...
- Epidermal growth factor receptor: a novel target of the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway in liverXinping Tan
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Gastroenterology 129:285-302. 2005..Wnt/beta-catenin activation is observed in normal liver development, regeneration, and liver cancer. Our aim was to elucidate the regulation and mechanism of this pathway in liver...
- Beta-catenin is temporally regulated during normal liver developmentAmanda Micsenyi
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, PA 15261, USA
Gastroenterology 126:1134-46. 2004..beta-Catenin, a key component of the Wnt pathway, plays an important role in unregulated liver growth in liver tumors, in regulated growth during liver regeneration, and in ex vivo embryonic liver cultures...
- Fibroblast growth factor enriches the embryonic liver cultures for hepatic progenitorsSandeep S Sekhon
Department of Internal Medicine, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Pathol 164:2229-40. 2004..FGF8 promotes such enrichment and induces a one-step differentiation toward a unipotential hepatocyte progenitor. Thus, FGFs might be useful for enrichment and propagation of developmental hepatic progenitors...
- Beta-catenin deletion in hepatoblasts disrupts hepatic morphogenesis and survival during mouse developmentXinping Tan
Department of Pathology, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Hepatology 47:1667-79. 2008..While the stem cell assays demonstrated no intrinsic defect in hematopoiesis, distorted hepatic architecture and deficient hepatocyte compartments resulted in defective endothelial cell organization leading to overall fetal pallor...
- siRNA-mediated beta-catenin knockdown in human hepatoma cells results in decreased growth and survivalGang Zeng
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, SOM, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Neoplasia 9:951-9. 2007..Thus, beta-catenin is essential for the survival and growth of hepatoma cells independent of mutations in the beta-catenin gene and provide a proof of principle for the significance of the therapeutic inhibition of beta-catenin in HCC...
- Activation of Wnt/beta-catenin pathway during hepatocyte growth factor-induced hepatomegaly in miceUdayan Apte
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15216, USA
Hepatology 44:992-1002. 2006..In conclusion, beta-catenin- and HGF-mediated signaling pathways cooperate in hepatocyte proliferation, which may be crucial in liver development, regeneration following partial hepatectomy, and pathogenesis of hepatocellular carcinoma...
- Platelet-derived growth factor receptor-alpha: a novel therapeutic target in human hepatocellular cancerPeggy Stock
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 200 Lothrop Street, S421 BST Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 6:1932-41. 2007..PDGFRalpha inhibition in hepatoma cells led to diminution of tumor cell survival and proliferation and thus might be of therapeutic significance...
- WNT/beta-catenin signaling in liver health and diseaseMichael D Thompson
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Hepatology 45:1298-305. 2007..In addition, areas that are currently deficient or understudied are identified and discussed along with the avenues of translational and clinical relevance...
- R-Etodolac decreases beta-catenin levels along with survival and proliferation of hepatoma cellsJaideep Behari
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Hepatol 46:849-57. 2007..Here, we examine the effect of Celecoxib, a COX-2-inhibitor and R-Etodolac, an enantiomer of the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug Etodolac, which lacks COX-inhibitory activity, on the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway and human hepatoma cells...
- Tyrosine residues 654 and 670 in beta-catenin are crucial in regulation of Met-beta-catenin interactionsGang Zeng
Department of Pathology CMP, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Exp Cell Res 312:3620-30. 2006..Thus, intact 654 and 670 tyrosine residues in beta-catenin are crucial in HGF-mediated beta-catenin translocation, activation and mitogenesis...
- Differential mitogenic effects of single chain hepatocyte growth factor (HGF)/scatter factor and HGF/NK1 following cleavage by factor XaPeter Pediaditakis
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261
J Biol Chem 277:14109-15. 2002..This suggests mandatory maintenance of a steric interaction of the N domain and the first kringle domain for HGF/NK1 to act as an agonist for rat hepatocyte growth but is not required by full-length HGF/SF...