Ali H Mokdad
Affiliation: University of Washington
- The Behavioral Risk Factors Surveillance System: past, present, and futureAli H Mokdad
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98121, USA
Annu Rev Public Health 30:43-54. 2009..This article provides an overview of the issues faced by BRFSS and the strategies in place to address them...
- Weight control behaviors in overweight/obese U.S. adults with diagnosed hypertension and diabetesGuixiang Zhao
Division of Adult and Community Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Cardiovasc Diabetol 8:13. 2009..Losing weight by means of energy restriction and physical activity has been effective in preventing and managing these diseases. However, weight control behaviors among overweight/obese adults with these conditions are poorly understood...
- The impact of obesity on time spent with the provider and number of medications managed during office-based physician visits using a cross-sectional, national health surveyWilliam S Pearson
Division of Adult and Communty Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
BMC Public Health 9:436. 2009..The purpose of this study was to determine if outpatient visits by obese persons required more time with the provider and more prescription medication management compared to visits made by non-obese persons...
- Gene polymorphisms in association with emerging cardiovascular risk markers in adult womenAmy Z Fan
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
BMC Med Genet 11:6. 2010..This population-based study is aimed to determine the presence of associations between a wide array of genetic variants and emerging cardiovascular risk markers among adult US women...
- In denial: misperceptions of weight change among adults in the United StatesCatherine M Wetmore
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98121, USA
Prev Med 55:93-100. 2012..We used data from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System to explore how adults in the United States recall their weight change and to identify characteristics associated with weight changes...
- Characteristics associated with the uptake of influenza vaccination among adults in the United StatesMayuko Takayama
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Prev Med 54:358-62. 2012..We identified characteristics associated with influenza vaccination that might inform strategies for increasing coverage...
- Results of the Global Youth Tobacco Survey and implementation of WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control in former Soviet Union countriesGulnoza Usmanova
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, 2301 5th Avenue, Suite 600, Seattle, WA 98121, USA
Int J Public Health 58:217-26. 2013..We used data from the Global Youth Tobacco Survey (GYTS) to monitor articles of the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control in Former Soviet Union (FSU) countries...
- Prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in United States counties, 2001-2009Casey Olives
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e60308. 2013..Concurrent increases in treatment and control of hypertension are promising, but efforts to decrease the prevalence of hypertension are needed...
- Measuring health behaviors in populationsAli H Mokdad
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, University of Washington, 2301 Fifth Ave, Ste 600, Seattle, WA 98121, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 7:A75. 2010..With changes in telephone use (eg, rapid decline in the ownership of landlines), innovative methods to collect data on health behaviors, such as in health care settings or through Internet-based surveys, need to be developed...
- High total serum cholesterol, medication coverage and therapeutic control: an analysis of national health examination survey data from eight countriesGregory A Roth
Division of Cardiology, University of Washington, 1959 NE Pacific Street room AA522, Seattle, WA 98195 6422, United States of America
Bull World Health Organ 89:92-101. 2011..To determine the fraction of individuals with high total serum cholesterol who get diagnosed and effectively treated in eight high- and middle-income countries...