Affiliation: University of California
- Effective lay health worker outreach and media-based education for promoting cervical cancer screening among Vietnamese American womenJeremiah Mock
Department of Anthropology, History and Social Medicine and the Center for Health and Community at the University of California, San Francisco 94102, USA
Am J Public Health 97:1693-700. 2007..We sought to promote cervical cancer screening among Vietnamese American women in Santa Clara County, Calif...
- Successful promotion of hepatitis B vaccinations among Vietnamese-American children ages 3 to 18: results of a controlled trialStephen J McPhee
Suc Khoe La Vang Health is Gold, the Vietnamese Community Health Promotion Project, Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94102, USA
Pediatrics 111:1278-88. 2003..To address this problem, we designed and tested in a controlled trial 2 public health outreach "catch-up" campaigns for this population...
- Papanicolaou testing among Vietnamese Americans: results of a multifaceted interventionTung T Nguyen
Suc Khoe La Vang Vietnamese Community Health Promotion Project, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California San Francisco, California 94143 0320, USA
Am J Prev Med 31:1-9. 2006..Vietnamese-American women have the highest incidence of cervical cancer of any ethnic group, and they underutilize Papanicolaou (Pap) tests...
- Highlights/best practices of San Francisco's Asian American Network for Cancer Awareness, Research, and Training (AANCART)Stephen J McPhee
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94102, USA
Cancer 104:2920-5. 2005..It also aims to build the research capability of those serving the Chinese community through a health plan...
- Increasing Vietnamese-American physicians' knowledge of cervical cancer and Pap testing: impact of continuing medical education programsKy Q Lai
Vietnamese Community Health Promotion Project, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 95128, USA
Ethn Dis 14:S122-7. 2004..Results suggest that CME seminars can significantly increase Vietnamese physicians' knowledge about cervical cancer diagnosis and treatment...
- Predictors of cervical Pap smear screening awareness, intention, and receipt among Vietnamese-American womenTung T Nguyen
Vietnamese Community Health Promotion Project, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94102, USA
Am J Prev Med 23:207-14. 2002..We evaluated factors associated with awareness of the Pap test, intention to obtain it, and its receipt in Vietnamese-American women...
- The absence of cancer prevention for the Thai population in the U.SSupaporn Wannasuntad
Doctoral Program in Nursing, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Asian Am Pac Isl J Health 10:108-13. 2003..S. and the high likelihood that this population has been suffering from cancer, we recommend that Thais be classified separately in cancer registries and that they receive culturally meaningful outreach and support...
- Encouraging Vietnamese-American women to obtain Pap tests through lay health worker outreach and media educationTram K Lam
Suc Khoe La Vang!(Health is Gold, Vietnamese Community Health Promotion Project, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California-San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 18:516-24. 2003..Researchers, community members, and community-based organizations can share expert knowledge and skills, and build one another's capacities...
- Disparities in colorectal cancer screening rates among Asian Americans and non-Latino whitesSabrina T Wong
School of Nursing, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Cancer 104:2940-7. 2005..Other strategies for increasing CRC screening may include using a more family-centered approach and using qualified translators...
- Processes and capacity-building benefits of lay health worker outreach focused on preventing cervical cancer among VietnameseJeremiah Mock
Center for Health and Community, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Health Promot Pract 7:223S-32S. 2006..This analysis provides an approach for understanding how lay health work is shaped by a broader context...
- Economic analysis of promotion of hepatitis B vaccinations among Vietnamese-American children and adolescents in Houston and DallasFangjun Zhou
National Immunization Program, CDC, Public Health Service, US Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Pediatrics 111:1289-96. 2003..To ascertain the cost-effectiveness and benefit-cost ratios of 2 public health campaigns conducted in Dallas and Houston in 1998-2000 for "catch-up" hepatitis B vaccination of Vietnamese-Americans born 1984-1993...
- Why most women in Syria do not smoke: can the passive barrier of traditions be replaced with an information-based one?Wasim Maziak
Syrian Center for Tobacco Studies, P O Box 12782, Aleppo, Syria
Public Health 117:237-41. 2003..Better-educated women tended to have their own motives based on a more complete awareness of the smoking problem. Tobacco control efforts should aim at replacing the passive barrier of traditions with a well-informed positive one...