J L Mills
Affiliation: University of Arizona
- The pros and cons of endovascular and open surgical treatments for patients with acute limb ischemiaB C Branco
Department of Surgery, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 56:401-7. 2015..This report includes 20 years of published data to evaluate the efficacy and safety profile of thrombolytic agents and adjunctive endovascular techniques when compared to open surgical revascularization. ..
- The Society for Vascular Surgery Lower Extremity Threatened Limb Classification System: risk stratification based on wound, ischemia, and foot infection (WIfI)Joseph L Mills
Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Southern Arizona Limb Salvage Alliance, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, Ariz Electronic address
J Vasc Surg 59:220-34.e1-2. 2014..The implementation of this classification system is intended to permit more meaningful analysis of outcomes for various forms of therapy in this challenging, but heterogeneous population...
- The natural history of intermediate and critical vein graft stenosis: recommendations for continued surveillance or repairJ L Mills
Section of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson 85724, USA
J Vasc Surg 33:273-8; discussion 278-80. 2001..We sought to define the natural history and determine the risk of graft occlusion associated with unrepaired vein graft stenoses...
- Comparison of the effects of open and endovascular aortic aneurysm repair on long-term renal function using chronic kidney disease staging based on glomerular filtration rateJoseph L Mills
The University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, University Medical Center, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
J Vasc Surg 47:1141-9. 2008..Our primary objectives were to assess serial renal function in patients undergoing EVAR and open repair (OR) and to evaluate the relative effects of method of repair on renal function...
- Preimplant vein intimal thickness is not a predictor of bypass graft stenosisD C James
Section of Vascular Surgery, The University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, Arizona 85724-5072, USA
J Surg Res 96:1-5. 2001....
- Topography of cell replication in human vein graft stenosesA Westerband
Department of Surgery, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, USA
Circulation 98:II325-9; discussion II329-30. 1998..Analysis of the cellular composition of human autogenous vein graft lesions at the time of revision provides an opportunity to identify the cellular processes leading to the development of stenosis in humans after vascular reconstruction...
- Current assessment of endovascular therapy for infrainguinal arterial occlusive disease in patients with diabetesDaniel M Ihnat
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
J Vasc Surg 52:92S-95S. 2010..The purpose of the present report is to succinctly review and objectively analyze available data regarding the results of EVT in patients with diabetes...
- Vein adaptation to arterialization in an experimental modelA Westerband
Section of Vascular Surgery, and the Department of Pathology, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center and Southern Arizona VA Health Care System, Tucson, AZ, USA
J Vasc Surg 33:561-9. 2001..Therefore, we used a rat model to study the early cellular response after arterialization of vein grafts...
- Infrainguinal vein graft surveillance: how and whenJ L Mills
Vascular Surgery Service, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Semin Vasc Surg 14:169-76. 2001....
- A new look at outcomes after infrainguinal bypass surgery: traditional reporting standards systematically underestimate the expenditure of effort required to attain limb salvageKaoru Ruth Goshima
Vascular Surgery Section, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, AZ 70121, USA
J Vasc Surg 39:330-5. 2004..index limb reoperation rate in 3 months, (2). hospital readmission rate in the first 6 months after IBS, and (3). wound-healing time...
- The influence of gender on complications of carotid endarterectomyD C James
Vascular Surgery Section, Department of Surgery, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, 1501 N. Campbell Ave, Rm. 4404, P.O. Box 245072, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Am J Surg 182:654-7. 2001..Women should not be excluded from the benefits of CEA based on perceived increased complication rates...
- Improved patency of infrainguinal polytetrafluoroethylene bypass grafts using a distal Taylor vein patchK K Yeung
Department of Surgery, Section of Vascular Surgery, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, P.O. Box 245072, 1501 N. Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85724-5072, USA
Am J Surg 182:578-83. 2001..Further long-term follow-up will be necessary to determine the 3- to 5-year durability of such reconstructions...
- The risks of celiac artery coverage during endoluminal repair of thoracic and thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysmsLuis R Leon
Department of Vascular Surgery, Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System SAVAHCS, Tucson, Arizona 85723, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 43:51-60. 2009..Specific celiac artery coverage complications are rare and not readily predictable based on preprocedure arteriography...
- Control of inferior vena cava injury using percutaneous balloon catheter occlusionTrung D Bui
Vascular Surgery, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 43:490-3. 2009..This approach achieves complete occlusion of the injury site and allow easier repair of the IVC, thereby reducing operative time and blood loss...
- Open bypass and endoluminal therapy: complementary techniques for revascularization in diabetic patients with critical limb ischaemiaJoseph L Mills
University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 24:S34-9. 2008..CLI is a serious end-of-life condition given the sobering realization that only 50-55% of CLI patients are alive with an intact limb 5 years after initial presentation...
- Contemporary outcomes after superficial femoral artery angioplasty and stenting: the influence of TASC classification and runoff scoreDaniel M Ihnat
Vascular Surgery, University of Arizona Health Science Center, University Medical Center, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
J Vasc Surg 47:967-74. 2008....
- Aortofemoral graft limb-to-colon paraprosthetic fistulaLuis R Leon
Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Southern Arizona Veteran Affairs Health Care System, Tucson, AZ, USA
J Vasc Surg 47:460. 2008
- A novel hybrid approach to the treatment of common iliac aneurysms: antegrade endovascular hypogastric stent grafting and femorofemoral bypass graftingLuis R Leon
Southern Arizona Veteran Affairs Health Care System Vascular Surgery Section, University of Arizona Health Science Center, Tucson, AZ 85723, USA
J Vasc Surg 45:1244-8. 2007..Also presented are potential procedural pitfalls and a detailed review of open, endovascular and hybrid options to preserve hypogastric flow when treating iliac aneurysms in complex, high-risk patients...
- Distal revascularization-interval ligation: a durable and effective treatment for ischemic steal syndrome after hemodialysis accessRobert C Knox
Section of Vascular Surgery, The University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
J Vasc Surg 36:250-5; discussion 256. 2002..The purpose of this report was to determine the efficacy and durability of the DRIL procedure in relieving hand ischemia and in maintaining access patency in the setting of hemodialysis access-induced ischemia...
- Is early postoperative duplex scan surveillance of leg bypass grafts clinically important?Brian L Ferris
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, 1501 N Campbell Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
J Vasc Surg 37:495-500. 2003..However, the natural history of velocity disturbances detected with early scans is unclear, and furthermore, such studies are not reimbursed by Medicare...
- Degenerative aneurysms of the superficial femoral arteryL R Leon
Southern Arizona Veteran Affairs Health Care System, Tucson, AZ, USA
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 35:332-40. 2008..To review the pathogenesis, diagnosis, presentation, diagnosis, management and outcomes (morbidity and mortality) of superficial femoral artery aneurysms...
- A step-wise approach for surgical management of diabetic foot infectionsTimothy K Fisher
Southern Arizona Limb Salvage Alliance, Department of Surgery, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
J Vasc Surg 52:72S-75S. 2010....
- Measure what matters: institutional outcome data are superior to the use of surrogate markers to define "center of excellence" for abdominal aortic aneurysm repairKaoru R Goshima
Department of Surgery, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, AZ 85719, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 22:328-34. 2008....
- Diagnosis and management of aortic mycotic aneurysmsLuis R Leon
Department of Vascular Surgery, Tucson Medical Center, Tucson, AZ, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 44:5-13. 2010..However, at this time, conclusive evidence is lacking and it should be in general considered a bridge to open repair. The latter should be planned at the earliest possible, when medically permissible...
- Failure of arteriovenous fistula maturation: an unintended consequence of exceeding dialysis outcome quality Initiative guidelines for hemodialysis accessSheela T Patel
Vascular Surgery, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, AZ 85718, USA
J Vasc Surg 38:439-45; discussion 445. 2003..However, maturation of autogenous fistulas created on the basis of findings at duplex US scanning and venography has not been carefully examined...
- Polymeric endoaortic paving: Mechanical, thermoforming, and degradation properties of polycaprolactone/polyurethane blends for cardiovascular applicationsJ H Ashton
The University of Arizona, Tucson, 85721, USA
Acta Biomater 7:287-94. 2011..These results indicate that PEAP, consisting of a PCL/PU blend, may be useful in developing the next generation of endoaortic therapy...
- Aortic paraprosthetic-colonic fistulae: a review of the literatureL R Leon
Southern Arizona Veteran Affairs Health Care System Vascular Surgery Section, Tucson, Arizona 85723, USA
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 34:682-92. 2007..Aortic graft-colonic fistulae are a rare complication of aortic reconstructive surgery...
- Prolonged administration of doxycycline in patients with small asymptomatic abdominal aortic aneurysms: report of a prospective (Phase II) multicenter studyB Timothy Baxter
Department of Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, USA
J Vasc Surg 36:1-12. 2002..A secondary goal was to determine how treatment with doxycycline influences circulating levels of matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) in this patient population...
- Guidelines regarding negative wound therapy (NPWT) in the diabetic footDavid G Armstrong
Department of Surgery, Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Tucson, USA
Ostomy Wound Manage 50:3S-27S. 2004..NPWT be discontinued in this population? 8) How should NPWT be used in combination with other modalities? 9) Should small, superficial, noninfected wounds be considered for NPWT? 10) How should we define success in future studies of NPWT?..
- Nontraumatic aneurysms affecting crural arteries: case report and review of the literatureLuis R Leon
Department of Vascular Surgery, Southern Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, Tucson, AZ 85723, USA
Vascular 15:102-8. 2007..The patient's recovery was uneventful. We also reviewed the literature on this type of aneurysm to assess the incidence, etiology, options for treatment, and outcomes...
- Vascular surgery training in the United States: a half-century of evolutionJoseph L Mills
Vascular and Endovascular Therapy, The University of Arizona Health Science Center, Tucson, Ariz, USA
J Vasc Surg 48:90S-97S; discussion 97S. 2008..Multiple flexible training paradigms are likely to coexist as vascular surgery continues to evolve...
- Surgical management of critical limb ischemiaJeffrey L Ballard
St Joseph Hospital, University of California, Irvine, Orange, CA, USA
Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 8:169-74. 2005..Antiplatelet therapy is indicated in all infrainguinal bypass patients; oral anticoagulation may be worthwhile in selected, high-risk patients, but hemorrhagic risks are significantly increased...
- Endovascular common iliac aneurysm exclusion with antegrade hypogastric artery flow preservation: a novel approachLuis R Leon
University of Arizona Health Science Center, Tuczon, AZ, USA
Vascular 16:106-11. 2008..Three telescopically-overlapping Hemobahn/Viabahn polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)-covered endoprosthesis (W.L. Gore & Associates, Flagstaff, AZ) were used with success...