Michael J Miller
Affiliation: University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
- Application of the cloze procedure to evaluate comprehension and demonstrate rewriting of pharmacy educational materialsMichael J Miller
Department of Pharmacy, Clinical and Administrative Sciences Tulsa, The University of Oklahoma, USA
Ann Pharmacother 43:650-7. 2009..Written materials are commonly used to communicate pharmacy-relevant information to patients. However, they are often composed at a level that limits comprehension, mitigating a well-intended effect...
- The role of health literacy and written medicine information in nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug risk awarenessMichael J Miller
Department of Pharmacy Clinical and Administrative Sciences Tulsa, College of Pharmacy, The University of Oklahoma, Tulsa, OK, USA
Ann Pharmacother 44:274-84. 2010..Pharmacies regularly distribute written medicine information (WMI) describing the risks and benefits of NSAID therapy at the time of dispensing...
- Improving patient-provider communication for patients having surgery: patient perceptions of a revised health literacy-based consent processMichael J Miller
College of Pharmacy, The University of Oklahoma, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74135, USA
J Patient Saf 7:30-8. 2011..This research sought to describe and compare perceptions of consent-related health communication between surgical patients undergoing procedures at facilities that did and did not adopt a new health literacy-based consent form and process...
- Using single-item health literacy screening questions to identify patients who read written nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicine information provided at pharmaciesMichael J Miller
College of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacy Clinical and Administrative Sciences, University of Oklahoma, Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
J Health Commun 15:413-27. 2010..Health literacy screening questions can be used to triage patients at risk for not reading WMI so they can be assisted with supplemental educational strategies...
- Promoting health communication between the community-dwelling well-elderly and pharmacists: the Ask Me 3 programMichael J Miller
Department of Pharmacy, Clinical and Administrative Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Oklahoma, Tulsa, OK 74135, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 48:784-92. 2008..To describe readiness to use clear health communication principles with a pharmacist before and after participating in the Ask Me 3 (What is my main problem?, What do I need to do?, Why is it important for me to do this?) program...
- Relationship of depression screening and physician office visit duration in a national sampleMichael R Schmitt
Department of Veterans Affairs VA Butler VA Medical Center, 325 New Castle Rd, Butler, PA 16001, USA
Psychiatr Serv 61:1126-31. 2010..This study was conducted to evaluate the relationship between depression screening and physician visit duration in community-based, primary care physician office visits while controlling for important covariates...
- Communicating non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug risks: verbal counseling, written medicine information, and patients' risk awarenessMichael R Schmitt
VA Butler Healthcare, Butler, PA, USA
Patient Educ Couns 83:391-7. 2011..To assess potential associations among physician counseling, pharmacist counseling, written medicine information (WMI) and patient awareness of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) risks...
- Assessing readability formula differences with written health information materials: application, results, and recommendationsLih Wern Wang
College of Pharmacy, University of Oklahoma, 4502 East 41st Street, Tulsa, OK 74135, USA Electronic address
Res Social Adm Pharm 9:503-16. 2013..These variations complicate interpretations of reading grade level estimates, particularly without a uniform guideline for applying and interpreting readability formulas...