JOSHUA WILLIAM MILLER
Affiliation: University of California
- Transcobalamin C776G genotype modifies the association between vitamin B12 and homocysteine in older HispanicsM G Garrod
USDA, ARS Western Human Nutrition Research Center, Davis, CA 95817, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 64:503-9. 2010..A common polymorphism, C776G, in the plasma B12 transport protein transcobalamin (TC), encodes for either proline or arginine at codon 259. This polymorphism may affect the affinity of TC for B12 and subsequent delivery of B12 to tissues...
- Homocysteine, cysteine, and risk of incident colorectal cancer in the Women's Health Initiative observational cohortJoshua W Miller
Department of Medical Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California, Davis, Davis, CA 95817, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 97:827-34. 2013..Hyperhomocysteinemia is associated with inflammation and may be a risk marker for CRC. Cysteine is a metabolic product of homocysteine and a precursor of the antioxidant glutathione. It is unknown whether cysteine is associated with CRC...
- Homocysteine and cognitive function in the Sacramento Area Latino Study on AgingJoshua W Miller
Department of Medical Pathology, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 78:441-7. 2003....
- Effect of L-dopa on plasma homocysteine in PD patients: relationship to B-vitamin statusJ W Miller
Vitamin Bioavailability Lab, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, MA, USA
Neurology 60:1125-9. 2003..This effect of L-dopa on plasma homocysteine is accentuated under conditions of impaired homocysteine metabolism such as folate deficiency...
- Transcobalamin II 775G>C polymorphism and indices of vitamin B12 status in healthy older adultsJoshua W Miller
Department of Medical Pathology, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95817, USA
Blood 100:718-20. 2002..02). The PP genotype may be more efficient in delivering B12 to tissues, resulting in enhanced B12 functional status. TCII genotype may thus influence susceptibility to B12 deficiency...
- Homocysteine, vitamin B6, and vascular disease in AD patientsJ W Miller
Department of Medical Pathology, University of California, Davis, School of Medicine, Sacramento 95817, USA
Neurology 58:1471-5. 2002..Patients with AD tend to have unexplained elevations of homocysteine concentrations vs healthy control subjects. Vitamin B(6) status, a potential determinant of plasma homocysteine, has not been characterized in patients with AD...
- Does lowering plasma homocysteine reduce vascular disease risk?J W Miller
University of California, Davis, Medical Center, Department of Medical Pathology, Sacramento 95817, USA
Nutr Rev 59:242-4. 2001..Questions about study design and sample size, however, suggest that this conclusion may be premature...
- Low erythrocyte folate, but not plasma vitamin B-12 or homocysteine,is associated with dementia in elderly LatinosA K Campbell
University of California, Davis, CA, USA
J Nutr Health Aging 9:39-43. 2005..We conclude that folate status is associated with dementia but that more research is needed on the relationship between vitaminB-12 status, Hcy and cognitive function to explore possible associations with these parameters...
- Oxidative damage caused by free radicals produced during catecholamine autoxidation: protective effects of O-methylation and melatoninJ W Miller
Vitamin Bioavailability Laboratory, Jean Mayer, USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 21:241-9. 1996..These findings suggest that O-methylation and melatonin may be important components of the brain's antioxidant defenses against catecholamine autoxidation and may protect against consequent dopaminergic neurodegeneration...
- Effect of vitamin B-6 deficiency on fasting plasma homocysteine concentrationsJ W Miller
USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111
Am J Clin Nutr 55:1154-60. 1992..It is concluded that fasting plasma homocysteine concentrations are not initially elevated in vitamin B-6 deficiency and therefore fasting plasma homocysteine concentrations are not a good indicator of vitamin B-6 status...
- B12 Absorption, Kinetics and Transcobalamin GenotypeJoshua Miller; Fiscal Year: 2004..This novel method would ultimately replace the Schilling test, the current gold standard, but flawed and cumbersome method for clinical assessment of B 12 absorptive capacity. ..
- Folate, DNA Methylation and Breast TumorigenesisJoshua Miller; Fiscal Year: 2007....