Benjamin J Miller
Affiliation: University of Iowa
- The trends in treatment of femoral neck fractures in the Medicare population from 1991 to 2008Benjamin J Miller
Departments of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation B J M and Internal Medicine X L, P C, 200 Hawkins Drive, 01025 JPP, Iowa City, IA 52242 E mail address for B J Miller
J Bone Joint Surg Am 95:e132. 2013..We examined trends in the treatment of femoral neck fractures over the last two decades...
- Conditional survival is greater than overall survival at diagnosis in patients with osteosarcoma and Ewing's sarcomaBenjamin J Miller
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Dr, 01015 JPP, Iowa City, IA, 52246, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 471:3398-404. 2013..Conditional survival is a measure of the risk of mortality given that a patient has survived a defined period of time. These estimates are clinically helpful, but have not been reported previously for osteosarcoma or Ewing's sarcoma...
- Risk factors for metastatic disease at presentation with osteosarcoma: an analysis of the SEER databaseBenjamin J Miller
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, 01015 JPP, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 95:e89. 2013..Our goal was to examine potential risk factors predictive of metastatic disease at presentation...
- CT scans for pulmonary surveillance may be overused in lower-grade sarcomaBenjamin J Miller
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, 01025 JPP Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Iowa Orthop J 32:28-34. 2012..The incremental cost-effectiveness ratio for routine CT scans was $731,400. A program based upon selective CT scans for higher-risk patients is accurate, spares unnecessary radiation to many patients, and is less expensive...
- Mortality rates are similar after hip fractures for rural and urban patientsBenjamin J Miller
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 470:1763-70. 2012..Proximal femoral fractures are common in the elderly. The best care depends on expeditious presentation, medical stabilization, and treatment of the condition...
- Total knee arthroplasty outcomes in top-ranked and non-top-ranked orthopedic hospitals: an analysis of Medicare administrative dataPeter Cram
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 87:341-8. 2012..To examine outcomes of Medicare enrollees who underwent primary total knee arthroplasty (TKA) in top-ranked orthopedic hospitals identified through the U.S. News & World Report hospital rankings and 2 comparison groups of hospitals...
- Factors affecting outcomes in patients treated surgically for upper extremity tumors and tumor-like lesionsJesse E Otero
University of Iowa Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Iowa City, IA 52242
Iowa Orthop J 33:119-29. 2013..These findings could be helpful in counseling patients undergoing surgery for tumors of the upper extremity. ..
- Prereferral MRI use in patients with musculoskeletal tumors is not excessiveChristopher T Martin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 200 Hawkins Drive, 01008 JPP, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 470:3240-5. 2012..Inappropriate MRI use has been targeted as a particular area of concern in orthopaedics, but it is unclear whether and to what extent its use is inappropriate in musculoskeletal oncology...
- Cyclooxygenase-2 expression is not associated with clinical outcome in synovial sarcomaEmily E Carmody Soni
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, UF Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine Institute, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Oncol Rep 26:1513-7. 2011..The fact that these tumors do express COX-2, however, suggests the potential for an additional target for more effective therapy...
- Estimated Cause-specific Survival Continues to Improve Over Time in Patients With ChondrosarcomaKyle R Duchman
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, 01015 JPP, Iowa City, IA, 52246, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 472:2516-25. 2014..This has yet to be reported for chondrosarcoma of bone. This information should be of interest to the clinician and helpful in counseling patients with chondrosarcoma...
- Patterns of improvement following oncologic reconstructrion compared to total knee arthroplasty and revision knee arthroplastyMai P Nguyen
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Iowa Iowa City, IA, USA
Iowa Orthop J 31:160-5. 2011..05) with the majority of improvement (90%) made within the first year following surgery. This is a similar pattern to that observed following primary and revision total knee arthroplasty...
- Outliers: hospitals with consistently lower and higher than predicted joint arthroplasty readmission ratesPeter Cram
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA, USA CADRE, Iowa City Veterans Administration Medical Center, Iowa City, IA, USA
Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil 2:135-47. 2011..Our objective was to examine readmission rates and whether hospitals with high and low readmission rates at baseline remain outliers in subsequent years...