NORWEETA GERMAINE MILBURN
Affiliation: University of California
- A family intervention to reduce sexual risk behavior, substance use, and delinquency among newly homeless youthNorweeta G Milburn
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, Center for Community Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Adolesc Health 50:358-64. 2012..We evaluate the efficacy of a short family intervention in reducing sexual risk behavior, drug use, and delinquent behaviors among homeless youth...
- Newly homeless youth typically return homeNorweeta G Milburn
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Adolesc Health 40:574-6. 2007..Most newly homeless adolescents returned home (70% U.S., 47% Australia) for significant amounts of time (39% U.S., 17% Australia more than 12 months) within 2 years of becoming homeless...
- Discrimination and exiting homelessness among homeless adolescentsNorweeta G Milburn
Center for Community Health, Neuropsychiatric Institute, University of California at Los Angeles, 90024, USA
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 12:658-72. 2006....
- Predictors of close family relationships over one year among homeless young peopleNorweeta G Milburn
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Adolesc 28:263-75. 2005..These results suggest that efforts to reunite families may be a viable intervention strategy for newly homeless young people...
- Needed: services research with homeless young peopleNorweeta G Milburn
UCLA Center for Community Health, Neuropsychiatric Institute, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Health Soc Policy 20:1-9. 2005....
- Paternal and maternal influences on problem behaviors among homeless and runaway youthJudith A Stein
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1563, USA
Am J Orthopsychiatry 79:39-50. 2009..Attachments, particularly to fathers, were protective against many deleterious behaviors. Building on relatively positive relations and attachments may foster family reunifications and beneficial outcomes for at-risk youth...
- Predictors of sexual risk behaviors among newly homeless youth: a longitudinal studyM Rosa Solorio
University of California, Los Angeles, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Department of Family Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90024 4142, USA
J Adolesc Health 42:401-9. 2008....
- Predictors of sexually transmitted infection testing among sexually active homeless youthM Rosa Solorio
Department of Family Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, 10880 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
AIDS Behav 10:179-84. 2006..High-risk sexual behaviors did not predict STI testing in our sample. Outreach programs are needed that target sexually active homeless youth for early STI testing and treatment...
- Emotional distress and mental health service use among urban homeless adolescentsM Rosa Solorio
Department of Family Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90024 4142, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 33:381-93. 2006....
- Newly homeless youth STD testing patterns over timeM Rosa Solorio
Department of Family Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90024 4142, USA
J Adolesc Health 39:443.e9-443.e16. 2006..To use the Behavioral Model for Vulnerable Populations to examine the predisposing and need characteristics of newly homeless youth that are associated with sexually transmitted disease (STD) testing over time...
- Discrimination and mental health problems among homeless minority young peopleNorweeta G Milburn
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Center for Community Health, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Public Health Rep 125:61-7. 2010..We examined the associations among perceived discrimination, racial/ethnic identification, and emotional distress in newly homeless adolescents...
- HIV prevention and African American youth: examination of individual-level behaviour is not the only answerMarguerita A Lightfoot
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California San Francisco, CA, USA
Cult Health Sex 11:731-42. 2009..This paper reviews the relationship between contextual factors and HIV risk and prevalence and the implication for prevention for African American youth...
- Cross-national variations in behavioral profiles among homeless youthNorweeta G Milburn
University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90024-6521, USA
Am J Community Psychol 37:63-76. 2006..Homeless youth have different behavioral profiles in Australia and the United States, reflecting differences in the effectiveness of service systems in the two countries in keeping youth with fewer problems out of homelessness...
- Diverting homeless youth/chronic homelessness/risk/HIVNorweeta Milburn; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- ADOLESCENT TRAJECTORIES FOR HOMELESSNESS & RISK FOR HIVNorweeta Milburn; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results will be used to design interventions for FTR to reduce their risk for HIV and for providers who may influence their trajectories into increasing or decreasing risk for HIV and becoming chronically homeless. ..