Z S Messieha
Affiliation: University of Illinois at Chicago
- Prevention of sevoflurane delirium and agitation with propofolZakaria Messieha
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Anesth Prog 60:67-71. 2013..A novel approach using a Bispectral Index System (BIS)-guided anesthesia with propofol washout technique is proposed as a viable and effective approach to prevent EAD...
- Bispectral Index System (BIS) monitoring reduces time to discharge in children requiring intramuscular sedation and general anesthesia for outpatient dental rehabilitationZ S Messieha
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Illinois Chicago, Chicago, Ill, USA
Pediatr Dent 26:256-60. 2004..The Bispectral Index System (BIS) is an EEG monitor that measures the level of sedation. The authors compared discharge times of patients who had BIS monitoring to those who did not to determine if the use of BIS speeded discharge...
- Bispectral index system (BIS) monitoring reduces time to extubation and discharge in children requiring oral presedation and general anesthesia for outpatient dental rehabilitationZ S Messieha
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Illinois, Chicago, Ill, USA
Pediatr Dent 27:500-4. 2005..The purpose of this study was to compare the effects of monitoring the BIS to not monitoring the BIS on time from discontinuation of GA to extubation and to discharge...
- Five year outcomes study of dental rehabilitation conducted under general anesthesia for special needs patientsZakaria Messieha
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Illinois at Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Anesth Prog 54:170-4. 2007..Dental rehabilitation of special needs patients under general anesthesia is safe. While morbidity is very low, larger studies are needed to establish risk versus benefit stratification among this patient population...
- Retrospective outcomes evaluation of 100 parenteral moderate and deep sedations conducted in a general practice dental residencyZakaria Messieha
University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Anesthesiology, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Anesth Prog 55:116-20. 2008..This study did not demonstrate a correlation between length of procedure and morbidity. Ketamine was associated with all reported nausea and vomiting incidents because propofol and midazolam are rarely associated with such events...
- Risks of general anesthesia for the special needs dental patientZakaria Messieha
Department of Clinical Anesthesiology, University of Illinois at Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Spec Care Dentist 29:21-5; quiz 67-8. 2009..Although access to care is not a direct risk factor, it can certainly deter timely treatment and intervention for patients with special needs...
- Bispectral index monitoring (BIS) as a guide for intubation without neuromuscular blockade in office-based pediatric general anesthesia: a retrospective evaluationZakaria S Messieha
Associate Professor of Clinical Anesthesiology, University of Illinois Medical Center at Chicago, Department of Anesthesiology, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Anesth Prog 58:3-7. 2011..7. There were no complications encountered. A BIS mean value of 34.7 provided adequate intubation conditions without muscle relaxation in office-based pediatric anesthesia without complications...
- Diabetes mellitus: an updated overview of medical management and dental implicationsKeerthi Golla
Department of Oral Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, College of Dentistry, University of Illinois, Chicago, USA
Gen Dent 52:529-35; quiz 536, 527-8. 2004..Dental providers must be aware of the rapid changes concerning management of individuals with DM and must understand the significant impact DM has on dental treatment...