Susanne U Mertens-Talcott
Affiliation: University of Florida
- Absorption, metabolism, and antioxidant effects of pomegranate (Punica granatum l.) polyphenols after ingestion of a standardized extract in healthy human volunteersSusanne U Mertens-Talcott
Pharmaceutics Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
J Agric Food Chem 54:8956-61. 2006..Overall, this study demonstrated the absorbability of EA from a pomegranate extract high in ellagitannin content and its ex vivo antioxidant effects...
- Ellagic acid potentiates the effect of quercetin on p21waf1/cip1, p53, and MAP-kinases without affecting intracellular generation of reactive oxygen species in vitroSusanne U Mertens-Talcott
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611 0370, USA
J Nutr 135:609-14. 2005....
- Polymethoxylated flavones and other phenolic derivates from citrus in their inhibitory effects on P-glycoprotein-mediated transport of talinolol in Caco-2 cellsSusanne U Mertens-Talcott
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, University of Florida, P O BOX 100494, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Agric Food Chem 55:2563-8. 2007..Based on their relatively low concentrations (< or =3 microg/mL) in citrus, the clinical relevance of these interactions needs to be further elucidated in in vivo studies...
- Induction of cell death in Caco-2 human colon carcinoma cells by ellagic acid rich fractions from muscadine grapes (Vitis rotundifolia)Susanne U Mertens-Talcott
Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Florida, P O Box 110494, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0494, USA
J Agric Food Chem 54:5336-43. 2006..This study demonstrated the anticancer properties of ellagic acid rich extracts from red muscadine juice...
- Low concentrations of quercetin and ellagic acid synergistically influence proliferation, cytotoxicity and apoptosis in MOLT-4 human leukemia cellsSusanne U Mertens-Talcott
Food Science and Human Nutrition Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Nutr 133:2669-74. 2003....
- Ellagic acid and quercetin interact synergistically with resveratrol in the induction of apoptosis and cause transient cell cycle arrest in human leukemia cellsSusanne U Mertens-Talcott
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, P O Box 110370, Gainesville, FL 32611 0370, USA
Cancer Lett 218:141-51. 2005..Results indicate that the anticarcinogenic potential of foods containing polyphenols may not be based on the effects of individual compounds, but may involve a synergistic enhancement of the anticancer effects...
- Isolation and HPLC quantitative analysis of antioxidant flavonoids from Alternanthera tenella CollaMarcos J Salvador
Departamento de Quimica, Faculdade de Filosofia, Ciencias e Letras de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Avenida dos Bandeirantes, 3900, 14040 901 Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Z Naturforsch C 61:19-25. 2006..Moreover, the total soluble phenolic contents of the extract and fractions were measured using the Folin-Ciocalteau reagent and the quantitative analysis of flavone C-glycosides major constituents was performed by HPLC...
- Pharmacokinetics of anthocyanins and antioxidant effects after the consumption of anthocyanin-rich acai juice and pulp (Euterpe oleracea Mart.) in human healthy volunteersSusanne U Mertens-Talcott
Department of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:7796-802. 2008..Results demonstrate the absorption and antioxidant effects of anthocyanins in acai in plasma in an acute human consumption trial...
- Protective effects of standardized pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) polyphenolic extract in ultraviolet-irradiated human skin fibroblastsLisbeth A Pacheco-Palencia
Department of Nutrition and Food Science, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:8434-41. 2008..9 to 8.6 muM Trolox equivalents/mL). Results from this study demonstrate the protective effects of PE against UVA- and UVB-induced cell damage and the potential use of pomegranate polyphenolics in topical applications...