James A Merchant
Affiliation: University of Iowa
- Asthma and farm exposures in a cohort of rural Iowa childrenJames A Merchant
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, University of Iowa College of Public Health, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Environ Health Perspect 113:350-6. 2005....
- Prevalence of hearing impairment in a rural midwestern cohort: estimates from the Keokuk county rural health study, 1994 to 1998Gregory A Flamme
Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Ear Hear 26:350-60. 2005....
- Challenges of conducting a large rural prospective population-based cohort study: the Keokuk County Rural Health StudyAnn M Stromquist
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Agromedicine 14:142-9. 2009..Topics considered include planning the study, developing the protocol, sampling, recruiting and tracking subjects, data collection and management, sustaining funding, relating to the community, and sharing data...
- Noise exposures of rural adolescentsMichael Humann
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 5000, USA
J Rural Health 27:72-80. 2011..This project was conducted to characterize the noise exposure of adolescents living in rural and agricultural environments...
- Relative exposure to swine animal feeding operations and childhood asthma prevalence in an agricultural cohortBrian T Pavilonis
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, College of Public Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Environ Res 122:74-80. 2013..This study is the first to investigate children's cumulative relative exposure to smaller AFOs and adds to the growing volume of literature supporting a link between proximity to swine AFOs and adverse respiratory health...
- Characterization of agricultural tasks performed by youth in the Keokuk County Rural Health StudyHyesook Park
College of Public Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Appl Occup Environ Hyg 18:418-29. 2003..These results suggest the need for implementing guidelines, particularly for age appropriate agricultural tasks...
- Physical and emotional partner abuse reported by men and women in a rural communitySusan A Murty
University of Iowa School of Social Work, Iowa City, 52242, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1073-5. 2003
- Indoor and outdoor particulate matter and endotoxin concentrations in an intensely agricultural countyBrian T Pavilonis
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, College of Public Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol 23:299-305. 2013..Excluding home cleanliness, the majority of agricultural and housing characteristics evaluated were found to be poorly associated with indoor and outdoor particulate and endotoxin concentrations...
- Effects of common agricultural tasks on measures of hearing lossMichael J Humann
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, College of Public Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Am J Ind Med 55:904-16. 2012..Among agricultural populations, hearing loss caused by excessive noise exposure is common. However, examinations of associations between exposure to agricultural tasks and hearing loss are limited...
- Sleep duration and body mass index in a rural populationNeal D Kohatsu
Department of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City, USA
Arch Intern Med 166:1701-5. 2006..We conducted this study to determine whether short sleep duration is related to BMI and obesity in a rural population in southeast Iowa...
- Oral health: perceptions of need in a rural Iowa countyRonald L Ettinger
Department of Prosthodontics and Dows Institute for Dental Research, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242 USA
Spec Care Dentist 24:13-21. 2004..The results suggest that this rural population is retaining more teeth and consequently may need and may seek dental services more often than previous more edentulous cohorts...
- At what age should children engage in agricultural tasks?Jingzhen Yang
University of Iowa Injury Prevention Research Center, Iowa City, Iowa Department of Community and Behavioral Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa Department of Biostatistics, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
J Rural Health 28:372-9. 2012....
- Methodologic issues in a population-based health survey of Gulf War veteransBradley N Doebbeling
Department of Internal Medicine, SE 625 GH, The University of Iowa College of Medicine, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 55:477-87. 2002..This environment facilitated rapid implementation, critique by scientific and public advisors, a high participation rate, and rapid publication...
- Are swine workers in the United States at increased risk of infection with zoonotic influenza virus?Kendall P Myers
Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases, Department of Epidemiology, University of Iowa College of Public Health, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Clin Infect Dis 42:14-20. 2006..Pigs have an important role in interspecies transmission of the virus. We examined multiple swine-exposed human populations in the nation's number 1 swine-producing state for evidence of previous swine influenza virus infection...
- Chronic disease and injury in an agricultural county: The Keokuk County Rural Health Cohort StudyJames A Merchant
College of Public Health, The University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
J Rural Health 18:521-35. 2002..The KCRHS has identified several modifiable health outcomes and risk factors as candidates for further analysis and targets for community-based prevention and intervention programs...
- Tumor necrosis factor-alpha hyper-responsiveness to endotoxin in whole blood is associated with chronic bronchitis in farmersG Patrick Lambert
Department of Exercise Science and Athletic Training, Creighton University, Omaha, NE 68178, USA
J Agromedicine 10:39-44. 2005....
- Polymorphisms in the CD14 gene associated with pulmonary function in farmersTricia D LeVan
Arizona Respiratory Center and Departments of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, College of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 171:773-9. 2005..Farmers experience airway obstruction, which may be attributable in part to endotoxin inhalation. CD14 is a receptor for endotoxin...
- Healthier Workforce Center for ExcellenceJames Merchant; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Center will also develop a learning network with employers, worker groups, universities, and others so that research findings can rapidly be put into practice in many settings throughout the U.S. ..