JUDITH SMITH MERCER
Affiliation: University of Rhode Island
- Nuchal cord management and nurse-midwifery practiceJudith S Mercer
University of Rhode Island College, RI, USA
J Midwifery Womens Health 50:373-9. 2005..This article proposes use of the somersault maneuver followed by delayed cord clamping for management of nuchal cord at birth and presents a new rationale based on the available current evidence...
- Seven-month developmental outcomes of very low birth weight infants enrolled in a randomized controlled trial of delayed versus immediate cord clampingJ S Mercer
College of Nursing, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI 02881, USA
J Perinatol 30:11-6. 2010..A priori, we hypothesized that infants with DCC would have better motor function by 7 months corrected age...
- Cardiac asystole at birth: Is hypovolemic shock the cause?J Mercer
College of Nursing, University of Rhode Island, 2 Heathman Road, Kingston, RI 02881, United States
Med Hypotheses 72:458-63. 2009....
- Evidence-based practices for the fetal to newborn transitionJudith S Mercer
Nurse Midwifery Program, University of Rhode Island College of Nursing, Kingston, RI 02881 2021, USA
J Midwifery Womens Health 52:262-72. 2007..This review of evidence on newborn care practices reveals that more often than not, less intervention is better. The recommendations support a gentle, physiologic birth and family-centered care of the newborn...
- Delayed cord clamping increases infants' iron storesJudith Mercer
University of Rhode Island College, College of Nursing, Kingston, RI 02881, USA
Lancet 367:1956-8. 2006
- Delayed cord clamping in very preterm infants reduces the incidence of intraventricular hemorrhage and late-onset sepsis: a randomized, controlled trialJudith S Mercer
University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI, USA
Pediatrics 117:1235-42. 2006..Other outcome variables were late-onset sepsis (LOS) and intraventricular hemorrhage (IVH)...
- Immediate and delayed cord clamping in infants born between 24 and 32 weeks: a pilot randomized controlled trialJudith S Mercer
College of Nursing, University of Rhode Island, White Hall, 2 Heathman Road, Kingston, RI 02881 2021, USA
J Perinatol 23:466-72. 2003..This pilot study's aim was to establish feasibility of a protocol for delayed cord clamping (DCC) versus immediate cord clamping (ICC) at preterm birth and to examine its effects on initial blood pressure and other outcomes...
- Neonatal transitional physiology: a new paradigmJudith S Mercer
University of Rhode Island, Kingston, USA
J Perinat Neonatal Nurs 15:56-75. 2002..The authors present a model for neonatal transition based on and driven by adequate blood volume rather than by respiratory effort to demonstrate how neonatal transition most likely occurs at a normal physiologic birth...
- Early cord clamping protects at-risk neonates from polycythemiaHeike Rabe
Biol Neonate 86:108; author reply 109. 2004
- Management of nuchal cordJudith S Mercer
J Midwifery Womens Health 52:524-5; author reply 525-6. 2007
- US midwives' knowledge and use of sterile water injections for labor painLena Mårtensson
University of Skovde, School of Life Sciences, PO Box 408, SE 541 28, Skovde, Sweden
J Midwifery Womens Health 53:115-22. 2008..While sterile water injections are a good treatment for back pain during labor, there is a lack of knowledge among midwives about this method of pain relief during labor and an interest in knowing more...
- PROTECTIVE EFFECTS OF DELAYED CORD CLAMPING IN VLBW INFANTSJUDITH SMITH MERCER; Fiscal Year: 2010..If delaying cord clamping at the births of preterm infants lowers rates of intraventricular hemorrhage and late onset sepsis it may have a dramatic effect on the health and well being of these infants. ..