J D Meeker
Affiliation: University of Michigan
- Ingle M, Mínguez Alarcón L, Carignan C, Butt C, Stapleton H, Williams P, et al. The association between urinary concentrations of phosphorous-containing flame retardant metabolites and semen parameters among men from a fertility clinic. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2018;221:809-815 pubmed publisher..We did not observe consistent associations between PFR metabolites and semen parameters. Due to the high prevalence of exposure, further investigation of other potential health effects should be conducted. ..
- Meeker J, Sathyanarayana S, Swan S. Phthalates and other additives in plastics: human exposure and associated health outcomes. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009;364:2097-113 pubmed publisher..Recent advances in the measurement of exposure biomarkers hold much promise in improving the epidemiological data, but their utility must be understood to facilitate appropriate study design. ..
- Lewis R, Cantonwine D, Anzalota Del Toro L, Calafat A, Valentin Blasini L, Davis M, et al. Distribution and determinants of urinary biomarkers of exposure to organophosphate insecticides in Puerto Rican pregnant women. Sci Total Environ. 2015;512-513:337-344 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to understand what aspects of the predictors identified influence OP insecticide exposure during pregnancy. ..
- Meeker J, Ferguson K. Relationship between urinary phthalate and bisphenol A concentrations and serum thyroid measures in U.S. adults and adolescents from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2007-2008. Environ Health Perspect. 2011;119:1396-402 pubmed publisher..More detailed studies are needed to determine the temporal relationships and potential clinical and public health implications of these associations. ..
- Johns L, Cooper G, Galizia A, Meeker J. Exposure assessment issues in epidemiology studies of phthalates. Environ Int. 2015;85:27-39 pubmed publisher..Careful consideration of the strengths and limitations of this approach when interpreting study results is required. ..
- Johns L, Ferguson K, Soldin O, Cantonwine D, Rivera GonzÃ¡lez L, Del Toro L, et al. Urinary phthalate metabolites in relation to maternal serum thyroid and sex hormone levels during pregnancy: a longitudinal analysis. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2015;13:4 pubmed publisher..In this group of pregnant women, urinary phthalate metabolites may be associated with altered maternal serum thyroid and sex hormone levels, and the magnitude of these effects may depend on the timing of exposure during gestation. ..
- Lewis R, Johns L, Meeker J. Serum Biomarkers of Exposure to Perfluoroalkyl Substances in Relation to Serum Testosterone and Measures of Thyroid Function among Adults and Adolescents from NHANES 2011-2012. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015;12:6098-114 pubmed publisher..No significant relationships were observed between PFASs and T in any of the models. These findings suggest that exposure to PFASs may disrupt thyroid hormone homeostasis. ..
- Figueroa Z, Young H, Meeker J, Martenies S, Barr D, Gray G, et al. Dialkyl phosphate urinary metabolites and chromosomal abnormalities in human sperm. Environ Res. 2015;143:256-65 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that increased disomy rates were associated with specific DAP metabolites, suggesting that the impacts of OPs on testis function need further characterization in epidemiologic studies. ..
- Omoike O, Lewis R, Meeker J. Association between urinary biomarkers of exposure to organophosphate insecticides and serum reproductive hormones in men from NHANES 1999-2002. Reprod Toxicol. 2015;53:99-104 pubmed publisher..These findings add to the limited evidence that exposure to certain OP insecticides is linked to altered T in men, which may have important implications for male health. ..
- Ferguson K, McElrath T, Cantonwine D, Mukherjee B, Meeker J. Phthalate metabolites and bisphenol-A in association with circulating angiogenic biomarkers across pregnancy. Placenta. 2015;36:699-703 pubmed publisher..We observed associations between urinary DEHP metabolites and BPA and biomarkers of angiogenesis during pregnancy that may be indicative of disrupted placental development and/or function during gestation. ..
- Lewis R, Meeker J. Biomarkers of exposure to molybdenum and other metals in relation to testosterone among men from the United States National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2011-2012. Fertil Steril. 2015;103:172-8 pubmed publisher..More research is needed to confirm the findings of our study. ..
- Meeker J, Calafat A, Hauser R. Urinary phthalate metabolites and their biotransformation products: predictors and temporal variability among men and women. J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol. 2012;22:376-85 pubmed publisher..Conversely, the proportion of DEHP metabolites contributed to by MEHP was more stable within individuals over time and may be a promising indicator of susceptibility if time of day of sample collection is carefully considered. ..
- Meeker J, Hu H, Cantonwine D, Lamadrid Figueroa H, Calafat A, Ettinger A, et al. Urinary phthalate metabolites in relation to preterm birth in Mexico city. Environ Health Perspect. 2009;117:1587-92 pubmed publisher..We found that phthalate exposure is prevalent among this group of pregnant women in Mexico and that some phthalates may be associated with preterm birth. ..
- Lewis R, Hauser R, Wang L, Kavet R, Meeker J. Personal power-frequency magnetic field exposure in women recruited at an infertility clinic: association with physical activity and temporal variability. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2016;168:478-88 pubmed publisher..Future epidemiology studies associated with peak exposure metrics should adjust for physical activity and collect more than 1 d of exposure measurement to reduce bias. ..
- Silver M, Li X, Liu Y, Li M, Mai X, Kaciroti N, et al. Low-level prenatal lead exposure and infant sensory function. Environ Health. 2016;15:65 pubmed publisher..Both systems start myelinating in late gestation and mature rapidly in infancy. Higher ABR C-P ratio and lower grating VA scores suggest effects of low-level lead exposure on sensory system myelination. ..
- Sturza J, Silver M, Xu L, Li M, Mai X, Xia Y, et al. Prenatal exposure to multiple pesticides is associated with auditory brainstem response at 9months in a cohort study of Chinese infants. Environ Int. 2016;92-93:478-85 pubmed publisher..Infants with lower cord blood ferritin appeared to be more sensitive to the effects of prenatal pesticide exposure on ABR latency delay, suggesting an additive or multiplicative effect. ..
- Silver M, Shao J, Ji C, Zhu B, Xu L, Li M, et al. Prenatal organophosphate insecticide exposure and infant sensory function. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2018;221:469-478 pubmed publisher..However, the disruption of visual or auditory pathway maturation in infancy could potentially negatively affect downstream cognitive development. ..
- Lewis R, Cantonwine D, Anzalota Del Toro L, Calafat A, Valentin Blasini L, Davis M, et al. Urinary biomarkers of exposure to insecticides, herbicides, and one insect repellent among pregnant women in Puerto Rico. Environ Health. 2014;13:97 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to understand what aspects of the predictors identified lead to greater exposure, and whether exposure during pregnancy is associated with adverse health. ..
- Silver M, Lozoff B, Meeker J. Blood cadmium is elevated in iron deficient U.S. children: a cross-sectional study. Environ Health. 2013;12:117 pubmed publisher..Given their shared neurotoxic effects in children, and that many people live in areas with high burdens of both ID and Cd, more research into the complex relationships between nutrient deficiencies and environmental toxicants is vital. ..
- Aker A, Johns L, McElrath T, Cantonwine D, Mukherjee B, Meeker J. Associations between maternal phenol and paraben urinary biomarkers and maternal hormones during pregnancy: A repeated measures study. Environ Int. 2018;113:341-349 pubmed publisher..These changes may contribute to downstream maternal and fetal health outcomes. Additional research is required to replicate the associations, and determine the potential biological mechanisms underlying the observed associations. ..
- Silver M, Shao J, Chen M, Xia Y, Lozoff B, Meeker J. Distribution and Predictors of Pesticides in the Umbilical Cord Blood of Chinese Newborns. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015;13: pubmed publisher..Associations were more striking for overall pesticide exposure than for individual pesticides, highlighting the importance of considering exposure to mixtures of pesticides, rather than individual agents or classes. ..
- Aker A, Watkins D, Johns L, Ferguson K, Soldin O, Anzalota Del Toro L, et al. Phenols and parabens in relation to reproductive and thyroid hormones in pregnant women. Environ Res. 2016;151:30-37 pubmed publisher..These changes may contribute to adverse health effects in mothers or their offspring, but additional research is required. ..
- Meeker J, Rossano M, Protas B, Padmanahban V, Diamond M, Puscheck E, et al. Environmental exposure to metals and male reproductive hormones: circulating testosterone is inversely associated with blood molybdenum. Fertil Steril. 2010;93:130-40 pubmed publisher..Although reductions in T and reproductive toxicity after molybdenum exposure have been previously demonstrated in animal studies, more research is needed to determine whether molybdenum poses a risk to human reproductive health. ..
- Meeker J, Missmer S, Vitonis A, Cramer D, Hauser R. Risk of spontaneous abortion in women with childhood exposure to parental cigarette smoke. Am J Epidemiol. 2007;166:571-5 pubmed..Future large studies of pregnancy loss are needed that can distinguish women's tobacco smoke exposure in childhood from that taking place in utero...
- Meeker J, Altshul L, Hauser R. Serum PCBs, p,p'-DDE and HCB predict thyroid hormone levels in men. Environ Res. 2007;104:296-304 pubmed
- Cathey A, Ferguson K, McElrath T, Cantonwine D, Pace G, Alshawabkeh A, et al. Distribution and predictors of urinary polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon metabolites in two pregnancy cohort studies. Environ Pollut. 2018;232:556-562 pubmed publisher..Additionally, our results indicate that multiple urinary measurements are required to accurately assess PAH exposure throughout pregnancy. ..
- Aung M, Johns L, Ferguson K, Mukherjee B, McElrath T, Meeker J. Thyroid hormone parameters during pregnancy in relation to urinary bisphenol A concentrations: A repeated measures study. Environ Int. 2017;104:33-40 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that TSH is inversely associated with urinary BPA in a consistent manner across pregnancy. Disruption of TSH levels during pregnancy can potentially impact child development and interfere with normal birth outcomes. ..
- Lewis R, Hauser R, Maynard A, Neitzel R, Wang L, Kavet R, et al. PERSONAL MEASURES OF POWER-FREQUENCY MAGNETIC FIELD EXPOSURE AMONG MEN FROM AN INFERTILITY CLINIC: DISTRIBUTION, TEMPORAL VARIABILITY AND CORRELATION WITH THEIR FEMALE PARTNERS' EXPOSURE. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2016;172:401-408 pubmed publisher..Environment was also an important effect modifier in these explored matters. These issues should be considered in future relevant epidemiology studies. ..
- Meeker J, Stapleton H. House dust concentrations of organophosphate flame retardants in relation to hormone levels and semen quality parameters. Environ Health Perspect. 2010;118:318-23 pubmed publisher..OP flame retardants may be associated with altered hormone levels and decreased semen quality in men. More research on sources and levels of human exposure to OP flame retardants and associated health outcomes are needed. ..
- Ferguson K, Cantonwine D, McElrath T, Mukherjee B, Meeker J. Repeated measures analysis of associations between urinary bisphenol-A concentrations and biomarkers of inflammation and oxidative stress in pregnancy. Reprod Toxicol. 2016;66:93-98 pubmed publisher..95% increase). These systemic changes consequent to BPA exposure may mediate adverse birth outcomes and/or fetal development. ..
- Silver M, Shao J, Zhu B, Chen M, Xia Y, Kaciroti N, et al. Prenatal naled and chlorpyrifos exposure is associated with deficits in infant motor function in a cohort of Chinese infants. Environ Int. 2017;106:248-256 pubmed publisher..Delays in early-motor skill acquisition may be detrimental for downstream development and cognition. ..
- Carignan C, Mínguez Alarcón L, Williams P, Meeker J, Stapleton H, Butt C, et al. Paternal urinary concentrations of organophosphate flame retardant metabolites, fertility measures, and pregnancy outcomes among couples undergoing in vitro fertilization. Environ Int. 2018;111:232-238 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that paternal preconception exposure to TDCIPP may adversely impact successful oocyte fertilization, whereas female preconception exposure to ΣPFRs may be more relevant to adverse pregnancy outcomes. ..
- Meeker J, Yang T, Ye X, Calafat A, Hauser R. Urinary concentrations of parabens and serum hormone levels, semen quality parameters, and sperm DNA damage. Environ Health Perspect. 2011;119:252-7 pubmed publisher..Our observation of a relationship between BP and sperm DNA damage warrants further investigation. ..
- Meeker J, Cooper M, Lefkowitz D, Susi P. Engineering control technologies to reduce occupational silica exposures in masonry cutting and tuckpointing. Public Health Rep. 2009;124 Suppl 1:101-11 pubmed..Strategies to further improve control performance and approaches for increasing control interventions in construction are needed. ..
- Meeker J, Barr D, Serdar B, Rappaport S, Hauser R. Utility of urinary 1-naphthol and 2-naphthol levels to assess environmental carbaryl and naphthalene exposure in an epidemiology study. J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol. 2007;17:314-20 pubmed..Conversely, studies of naphthalene-related outcomes may utilize 2N levels to estimate exposure...
- Meeker J. Exposure to environmental endocrine disruptors and child development. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2012;166:952-8 pubmed
- Meeker J, Cantonwine D, Rivera González L, Ferguson K, Mukherjee B, Calafat A, et al. Distribution, variability, and predictors of urinary concentrations of phenols and parabens among pregnant women in Puerto Rico. Environ Sci Technol. 2013;47:3439-47 pubmed publisher..Our results can inform future epidemiology studies and strategies to reduce exposure to these chemicals or their precursors. ..
- Bedrosian L, Ferguson K, Cantonwine D, McElrath T, Meeker J. Urinary phthalate metabolite concentrations in relation to levels of circulating matrix metalloproteinases in pregnant women. Sci Total Environ. 2018;613-614:1349-1352 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to confirm these results and how they may inform the mechanisms involved between phthalate exposure and adverse pregnancy outcomes. ..