Affiliation: University of Pittsburgh
- Perception of "healthy" body weight by patients with diabetesKathleen McTigue
Center for Research on Health Care, University of Pittsburgh, 230 McKee Place, Suite 600, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Diabetes Care 29:695-7. 2006
- Obesity in older adults: a systematic review of the evidence for diagnosis and treatmentKathleen M McTigue
Center for Research on Health Care, Division of General Internal Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:1485-97. 2006..Although obesity is increasing in older U.S. adults, treatment is controversial in this age group. We sought to examine evidence concerning obesity's health-related risks, diagnostic methods, and treatment outcomes in older individuals...
- Weight loss through living well: translating an effective lifestyle intervention into clinical practiceKathleen M McTigue
University of Pittsburgh, Department of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Diabetes Educ 35:199-204, 208. 2009..To translate the Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) lifestyle intervention into a clinical setting and evaluate its effectiveness...
- The 10 keys to healthy aging: findings from an innovative prevention program in the communityAnne B Newman
University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
J Aging Health 22:547-66. 2010..To develop and evaluate a novel, comprehensive prevention program for older adults designed to assess and improve adherence to preventive health care goals...
- Effects of diet and physical activity interventions on weight loss and cardiometabolic risk factors in severely obese adults: a randomized trialBret H Goodpaster
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, MUH N810, 3459 Fifth Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
JAMA 304:1795-802. 2010....
- Interest in the use of computerized patient portals: role of the provider-patient relationshipSusan L Zickmund
Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion, VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System, 151C U, University Drive C, Pittsburgh, PA 15240, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:20-6. 2008..However, little is known about what influences patients' desires to use this technology...
- Nutritional assessment of bariatric surgery patients presenting for plastic surgery: a prospective analysisNima Naghshineh
Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 126:602-10. 2010..Previous literature suggests that these patients have poor nutrition that may have adverse effects on surgical outcomes. The authors sought to determine the optimal method of nutritional assessment in postbariatric patients...
- Patient difficulty using tablet computers to screen in primary careRachel Hess
Division of General Internal Medicine and Center for Research on Health Care, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15206, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:476-80. 2008..Patient-administered computerized questionnaires represent a novel tool to assist primary care physicians in the delivery of preventive health care...
- Value versus user fees: perspectives of patients before and after using a web-based portal for management of diabetesCindy L Bryce
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Telemed J E Health 14:1035-43. 2008..This opposition stems from concerns about fairness and from the recognition that health systems may experience cost savings if patients manage their diabetes successfully...
- Exploring challenges and potentials of personal health records in diabetes self-management: implementation and initial assessmentRachel Hess
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Telemed J E Health 13:509-17. 2007..Patients are responsive to technology. Future work should focus on diabetes-related outcomes assessment and intensifying interventions...
- Using the internet to translate an evidence-based lifestyle intervention into practiceKathleen M McTigue
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Telemed J E Health 15:851-8. 2009..44 mm Hg; SD 9.27). An Internet-based lifestyle intervention may overcome significant barriers to preventive counseling and facilitate the incorporation of evidence-based lifestyle interventions into primary care...
- Mortality and cardiac and vascular outcomes in extremely obese womenKathleen McTigue
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
JAMA 296:79-86. 2006..9); obesity 2 (35-39.9); and extreme obesity (> or =40). Extreme obesity is increasing particularly rapidly in the United States, yet its health risks are not well characterized...
- Screening and interventions for obesity in adults: summary of the evidence for the U.S. Preventive Services Task ForceKathleen M McTigue
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Ann Intern Med 139:933-49. 2003..Obesity poses a considerable and growing health burden. This review examines evidence for screening and treating obesity in adults...
- The key to life nutrition program: results from a community-based dietary sodium reduction trialJoseph F Robare
Center for Healthy Aging CHA, Department of Epidemiology, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, 130 North Bellefield Avenue Suite 300, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Public Health Nutr 13:606-14. 2010..Evaluation of a dietary Na reduction trial in a community setting...
- The cross-sectional relationship between body mass index, waist-hip ratio, and cognitive performance in postmenopausal women enrolled in the Women's Health InitiativeDiana R Kerwin
Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:1427-32. 2010..To determine whether body mass index (BMI) is independently associated with cognitive function in postmenopausal women and the relationship between body fat distribution as estimated by waist-hip ratio (WHR)...
- Early childhood diet, overweight, and cardiovascular riskKathleen M McTigue
Prev Cardiol 11:8-10. 2008
- The natural history of the development of obesity in a cohort of young U.S. adults between 1981 and 1998Kathleen M McTigue
5034 Old Clinic Building, CB 7105, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7105, USA
Ann Intern Med 136:857-64. 2002..Understanding the natural history of obesity in a population may be a critical step toward developing effective interventions...