Affiliation: University of California
- Associations between single nucleotide polymorphisms in iron-related genes and iron status in multiethnic populationsChristine E McLaren
Department of Epidemiology, University of California Irvine, Irvine, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e38339. 2012..0 × 10(-5)). These results confirm known associations with iron measures and give unique evidence of their role in different ethnicities, suggesting origins in a common founder...
- SNP selection for genes of iron metabolism in a study of genetic modifiers of hemochromatosisClare C Constantine
The Centre for Molecular, Environmental, Genetic and Analytic MEGA Epidemiology, School of Population Health, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
BMC Med Genet 9:18. 2008..We report our experience of selecting tag SNPs in 35 genes involved in iron metabolism in a cohort study seeking to discover genetic modifiers of hereditary hemochromatosis...
- Determinants and characteristics of mean corpuscular volume and hemoglobin concentration in white HFE C282Y homozygotes in the hemochromatosis and iron overload screening studyChristine E McLaren
Department of Epidemiology, University of California, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Am J Hematol 82:898-905. 2007..2 g/dL higher in women with C282Y/C282Y than in controls. Greater mean MCV in C282Y homozygosity reflects increased mean TfSat and mean SF in men and women; an additional effect of genotype on MCV and Hb was detected in women...
- Bivariate mixture modeling of transferrin saturation and serum ferritin concentration in Asians, African Americans, Hispanics, and whites in the Hemochromatosis and Iron Overload Screening (HEIRS) StudyChristine E McLaren
Department of Epidemiology, University of California, Irvine, California, USA
Transl Res 151:97-109. 2008..This approach can identify populations in which hereditary or acquired factors influence metabolism measurement...
- Mixture distribution analysis of phenotypic markers reflecting HFE gene mutationsChristine E McLaren
Department of Medicine, Epidemiology Division, University of California, 224 Irvine Hall, Irvine, CA 92697 7550, USA
Blood 102:4563-6. 2003..These results suggest that statistical modeling of population clinical laboratory test data can reveal the influence of a major locus gene defect and perhaps can be applied to other aspects of body metabolism than iron...
- Patient-specific analysis of sequential haematological data by multiple linear regression and mixture distribution modellingC E McLaren
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Medicine and Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Stat Med 19:83-98. 2000..These methods promise to provide more sensitive techniques for improved diagnostic evaluation of developing anaemia and serial monitoring of response to therapy...
- Heritability of serum iron measures in the hemochromatosis and iron overload screening (HEIRS) family studyChristine E McLaren
Department of Epidemiology, University of California, Irvine, California 92697 7550, USA
Am J Hematol 85:101-5. 2010..64 (0.26) for ln SF (P = 0.0096). In conclusion, serum iron measures have significant heritability components, after excluding known genetic and nongenetic sources of variation...
- Longitudinal assessment of air conduction audiograms in a phase III clinical trial of difluoromethylornithine and sulindac for prevention of sporadic colorectal adenomasChristine E McLaren
Department of Epidemiology, College of Health Sciences, University of California Irvine, 224 Irvine Hall, Irvine, CA 92697 7550, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 1:514-21. 2008..4% (95% confidence interval, -2.0% to 18.8%; P = 0.12). There is a <2 dB difference in mean threshold for patients treated with DFMO plus sulindac compared with those treated with placebo...
- Prediction of malignant breast lesions from MRI features: a comparison of artificial neural network and logistic regression techniquesChristine E McLaren
Department of Epidemiology, University of California, Irvine, 224 Irvine Hall, Irvine, CA 92697 7550, USA
Acad Radiol 16:842-51. 2009..Analytic methods were compared for diagnostic feature selection and the performance of lesion classification to differentiate between malignant and benign lesions in patients...
- Genome-wide association study identifies genetic loci associated with iron deficiencyChristine E McLaren
Department of Epidemiology, University of California Irvine, Irvine, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e17390. 2011..2p14 and iron status outcomes. These results confirm a previously-described TF polymorphism and implicate one potential new locus as a target for gene identification...
- Relationship between transferrin saturation and iron stores in the African American and US Caucasian populations: analysis of data from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination SurveyC E McLaren
Division of Epidemiology, University of California, Irvine, College of Medicine, Irvine, CA 92697 7550, USA
Blood 98:2345-51. 2001..002 for all). These results are consistent with the concept that population transferrin saturation subpopulations reflect different levels of storage iron...
- Mixture models of serum iron measures in population screening for hemochromatosis and iron overloadChristine E McLaren
Epidemiology Division, Department of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Transl Res 148:196-206. 2006..It was concluded that mixture modeling of phenotypic data may provide a clinical guide for screening with gender-specific thresholds to identify potential samples for genetic testing...
- Dietary iron intake and serum ferritin concentration in 213 patients homozygous for the HFEC282Y hemochromatosis mutationVictor R Gordeuk
Department of Medicine, Howard University, Washington, DC, USA
Can J Gastroenterol 26:345-9. 2012..HFEC282Y homozygotes have an increased risk for developing increased iron stores and related disorders. It is controversial whether dietary iron restrictions should be recommended to such individuals...
- Hemochromatosis and Iron Overload Screening (HEIRS) study design for an evaluation of 100,000 primary care-based adultsChristine E McLaren
Epidemiology Division, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine 92697, USA
Am J Med Sci 325:53-62. 2003..Participants are recruited from 5 Field Centers. Laboratory testing and data management and analysis are performed in a Central Laboratory and Coordinating Center, respectively...
- Association of atopy to asthma severity and medication use in childrenChristina D Schwindt
Department of Pediatrics, University Children s Hospital, University of California, Irvine, USA
J Asthma 43:439-46. 2006..Mold was associated with increased asthma symptoms. Degree of atopy and reactivity to mold and pollens plays a significant role in asthma severity in asthmatic children...
- Association of FEV1 in asthmatic children with personal and microenvironmental exposure to airborne particulate matterRalph J Delfino
Epidemiology Division, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of California at Irvine, 224 Irvine Hall, Irvine, CA 92697 7550, USA
Environ Health Perspect 112:932-41. 2004..FEV1 was weakly associated with NO2 but not with O3. Results suggest mixed respiratory effects of PM in asthmatic children from both ambient background exposures and personal exposures in various microenvironments...
- Association of asthma symptoms with peak particulate air pollution and effect modification by anti-inflammatory medication useRalph J Delfino
Epidemiology Division, Department of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California 92697 7550, USA
Environ Health Perspect 110:A607-17. 2002..The divergence of exposure-response relationships by anti-inflammatory medication use is consistent with experimental data on inflammatory mechanisms of airborne pollutants and allergens...
- Risk of cardiovascular events in a randomized placebo-controlled, double-blind trial of difluoromethylornithine plus sulindac for the prevention of sporadic colorectal adenomasJason A Zell
Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, Irvine, California, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 2:209-12. 2009..These results have implications for future NSAID-based cancer prevention clinical trials...
- Results communication and patient education after screening for possible hemochromatosis and iron overload: experience from the HEIRS Study of a large ethnically and linguistically diverse groupAnn P Walker
Division of Human Genetics, Department of Pediatrics, University of California, Irvine, Orange, California 92868 3298, USA
Genet Med 9:778-91. 2007....
- Health-related quality of life in a racially diverse population screened for hemochromatosis: results from the Hemochromatosis and Iron Overload Screening (HEIRS) studyLari B Wenzel
Center for Health Policy Research, Department of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, California 92697 7550, USA
Genet Med 9:705-12. 2007..The objective of this study was to evaluate the impact of screening on participants' well-being...
- Difluoromethylornithine plus sulindac for the prevention of sporadic colorectal adenomas: a randomized placebo-controlled, double-blind trialFrank L Meyskens
Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California Irvine, Irvine, California, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 1:32-8. 2008..Recurrent adenomatous polyps can be markedly reduced by a combination of low oral doses of DFMO and sulindac and with few side effects...
- The effect of difluoromethylornithine on decreasing prostate size and polyamines in men: results of a year-long phase IIb randomized placebo-controlled chemoprevention trialAnne R Simoneau
Department of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, 101 The City Drive, Route 81, Building 55, Room 304, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:292-9. 2008..The prostate has high levels of tissue polyamines and has shown sensitivity to DFMO both in vitro and in vivo...
- Correlation of dynamic contrast enhancement MRI parameters with microvessel density and VEGF for assessment of angiogenesis in breast cancerMin Ying Su
Center for Functional Onco Imaging and Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California Irvine, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 18:467-77. 2003....
- Evolving attractive faces using morphing technology and a genetic algorithm: a new approach to determining ideal facial aestheticsBrian J F Wong
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California Irvine, Orange, California 92812, USA
Laryngoscope 118:962-74. 2008....
- Bioactive suture: a novel immunotherapy for head and neck cancerTerry Y Shibuya
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California Irvine College of Medicine, Orange, California 92868, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:7088-99. 2004..We have proposed to characterize the mechanism through which bioactive surgical sutures generate a T(H)1 immune response and to define the immune-stimulating half-life of the sutures...
- Nuclear morphometry and molecular biomarkers of actinic keratosis, sun-damaged, and nonexposed skinPhilip M Carpenter
Department of Pathology, Irvine Medical Center, University of California, Building 10, Route 40, Room 104, 101 The City Drive South, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:1996-2002. 2004..Following these changes during a skin cancer chemopreventative trial can then help assess the efficacy of the agent and help determine where in the progression of neoplastic changes it exerts its biological effects...
- African Americans at risk for increased iron stores or liver diseaseFitzroy W Dawkins
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Howard University, Washington, DC, USA
Am J Med 120:734.e1-9. 2007....
- Pharmacokinetic parameters analyzed from mr contrast enhancement kinetics of multiple malignant and benign breast lesions detected in the same patientsMin Y Su
John Tu and Thomas Yuen Center for Functional Onco Imaging, Irvine Hall 164, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 5020, USA
Technol Cancer Res Treat 4:255-63. 2005....
- Ornithine decarboxylase-1 polymorphism, chemoprevention with eflornithine and sulindac, and outcomes among colorectal adenoma patientsJason A Zell
Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, Department of Epidemiology, University of California Irvine, 224 Irvine Hall, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 102:1513-6. 2010..038). Excess ototoxicity was observed among ODC1 AA patients receiving treatment, but the interaction of genotype and treatment on ototoxicity was not statistically significant (P = .45)...
- Seminal vesicle involvement in patients with D1 disease predicts early prostate specific antigen recurrence and metastasis after radical prostatectomy and early androgen ablationThomas E Ahlering
Division of Urology, University of California at Irvine Medical Center, Orange, California, USA
Cancer 94:1648-53. 2002..In the current study, the authors present data with which to evaluate and define factors for disease progression in patients undergoing radical prostatectomy with lymph node positive disease who are treated with early endocrine ablation...
- Clinical significance of poor CD3 response in head and neck cancerTerry Y Shibuya
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California Irvine College of Medicine, Orange 92868, USA
Clin Cancer Res 8:745-51. 2002..The objective of our investigation was to prospectively study what the implications of an unresponsive CD3 receptor are on clinical outcome in advanced-stage head and neck cancer patients...
- Immunomodulation with low dose levamisole in patients with colonic polypsRandall F Holcombe
Division of Hematology Oncology, The Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, Irvine Medical Center, 101 The City Drive, Bld 56, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Cancer Detect Prev 30:94-8. 2006..Levamisole (LMS) has immunomodulatory activity, stimulates the immune system of healthy, normal volunteers and has been proposed previously as a colon cancer preventive agent...
- Optical imaging of breast cancer oxyhemoglobin flare correlates with neoadjuvant chemotherapy response one day after starting treatmentDarren Roblyer
Laser Microbeam and Medical Program, Beckman Laser Institute and Medical Clinic, University of California, Irvine, CA 92617, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:14626-31. 2011..Very early measures of chemotherapy response are clinically convenient and offer the potential to alter treatment strategies, resulting in improved patient outcomes...
- Age- and race-dependence of the fibroglandular breast density analyzed on 3D MRIKe Nie
Tu and Yuen Center for Functional Onco Imaging, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Med Phys 37:2770-6. 2010..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the age- and race-dependence of the breast fibroglandular tissue density based on three-dimensional breast MRI...
- Chemoprevention of nonmelanoma skin cancer: experience with a polyphenol from green teaKenneth G Linden
Department of Dermatology, University of California, Irvine, 101 The City Drive, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Recent Results Cancer Res 163:165-71; discussion 264-6. 2003....
- Healthcare provider and parent behavior and children's coping and distress at anesthesia inductionJill MacLaren Chorney
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California, Irvine, Orange, CA, USA
Anesthesiology 111:1290-6. 2009..To date, no study has evaluated the impact of specific healthcare provider and parent behaviors on children's distress and coping during anesthesia induction...
- Association between in vitro platinum resistance in the EDR assay and clinical outcomes for ovarian cancer patientsRobert W Holloway
Walt Disney Memorial Cancer Institute at Florida Hospital, Orlando, FL 32804, USA
Gynecol Oncol 87:8-16. 2002..Such patients may therefore benefit from entry onto trials with novel agents or combinations...
- Accuracy of family history of hemochromatosis or iron overload: the hemochromatosis and iron overload screening studyRonald T Acton
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35209 0005, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:934-8. 2008..Background &..
- Serum ferritin concentrations and body iron stores in a multicenter, multiethnic primary-care populationVictor R Gordeuk
Department of Medicine and Center for Sickle Cell Disease, Howard University, Washington, District of Columbia 20060, USA
Am J Hematol 83:618-26. 2008..Serum ferritin >900 microg/L in male C282Y homozygotes is predictive of moderately increased iron stores...
- Initial screening transferrin saturation values, serum ferritin concentrations, and HFE genotypes in whites and blacks in the Hemochromatosis and Iron Overload Screening StudyJames C Barton
Southern Iron Disorders Center, Birmingham, Alabama 35209, USA
Genet Test 9:231-41. 2005..Possible explanations for differences in TfSat and SF in whites and blacks and pertinence to the detection of hemochromatosis, iron overload, and other disorders with similar phenotypes are discussed...
- Comparison of the unsaturated iron-binding capacity with transferrin saturation as a screening test to detect C282Y homozygotes for hemochromatosis in 101,168 participants in the hemochromatosis and iron overload screening (HEIRS) studyPaul C Adams
Department of Medicine, London Health Sciences Center, London, Ontario, Canada
Clin Chem 51:1048-52. 2005
- Geographic and racial/ethnic differences in HFE mutation frequencies in the Hemochromatosis and Iron Overload Screening (HEIRS) StudyRonald T Acton
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham 35209 0005, USA
Ethn Dis 16:815-21. 2006..To assess geographic differences in the frequencies of HFE C282Y and H63D genotypes in six racial/ethnic groups recruited in the Hemochromatosis and Iron Overload Screening (HEIRS) Study...
- Hemochromatosis (HFE) gene splice site mutation IVS5+1 G/A in North American Vietnamese with and without phenotypic evidence of iron overloadMichael Steiner
Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, University of Rostock, Rostock, Germany
Transl Res 149:92-5. 2007..32% for cases and 2.04% for controls (P>0.5). This finding suggests that the HFE IVS5+1 G/A splice site mutation is not the major explanation for unexpectedly high prevalence of TS and SF in North American Asians...
- Association of ferroportin Q248H polymorphism with elevated levels of serum ferritin in African Americans in the Hemochromatosis and Iron Overload Screening (HEIRS) StudyCharles A Rivers
Departments of Microbiology, Medicine, and Epidemiology and International Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Blood Cells Mol Dis 38:247-52. 2007..012). There were no significant differences in Q248H frequencies in men and women control participants. We conclude that the frequency of the FPN1 Q248H polymorphism is greater in AA men with elevated SF than in those with normal SF...
- Characteristics of participants with self-reported hemochromatosis or iron overload at HEIRS study initial screeningJames C Barton
Southern Iron Disorders Center, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Am J Hematol 83:126-32. 2008..Previous H/IO reports in some participants could be explained by treatment that induced iron depletion before initial screening, misdiagnosis, or participant misunderstanding of their physician or the initial screening questionnaire...
- Genetic screening for iron overload: No evidence of discrimination at 1 yearMark A Hall
Wake Forest University Medical School, Department of Public Health Sciences, 2000 West 1st Street, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1063, USA
J Fam Pract 56:829-34. 2007..This study measured the extent of insurance and employment problems associated with population screening for hereditary hemochromatosis and iron overload...
- HFE C282Y homozygotes aged 25-29 years at HEIRS Study initial screeningJames C Barton
Southern Iron Disorders Center, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Genet Test 11:269-75. 2007..Screening using an elevated TfSat criterion would fail to detect some C282Y homozygotes aged 25-29 years...
- Iron-overload-related disease in HFE hereditary hemochromatosisKatrina J Allen
Murdoch Children s Research Institute, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
N Engl J Med 358:221-30. 2008..Diseases related to iron overload develop in some C282Y homozygotes, but the extent of the risk is controversial...
- Hemochromatosis and iron-overload screening in a racially diverse populationPaul C Adams
Department of Medicine, London Health Sciences Centre, London, Ont, Canada
N Engl J Med 352:1769-78. 2005..Iron overload and hemochromatosis are common, treatable conditions. HFE genotypes, levels of serum ferritin, transferrin saturation values, and self-reported medical history were studied in a multiethnic primary care population...
- Thyroid-stimulating hormone and free thyroxine levels in persons with HFE C282Y homozygosity, a common hemochromatosis genotype: the HEIRS studyJames C Barton
Southern Iron Disorders Center, 2022 Brookwood Medical Center Drive, Birmingham, AL 35209, USA
Thyroid 18:831-8. 2008..We evaluated thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) and free thyroxine (T4) in white participants of the primary care-based Hemochromatosis and Iron Overload Screening (HEIRS) Study...
- Serum ferritin and transferrin saturation in Asians and Pacific IslandersEmily L Harris
Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, Portland, OR Honolulu, HI, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:722-6. 2007....
- Power calculations for generalized linear models in observational longitudinal studies: a simulation approach in SASVictor M Gastañaga
Amgen, Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 84:27-33. 2006....
- Iron Status: A Pathway Analysis in Multiple EthnicitiesChristine McLaren; Fiscal Year: 2007..Potential study results could be used to identify individuals at risk for iron deficiency and to develop innovative prevention and treatment strategies. ..
- Iron Status: A Pathway Analysis in Multiple EthnicitiesChristine McLaren; Fiscal Year: 2009..Potential study results could be used to identify individuals at risk for iron deficiency and to develop innovative prevention and treatment strategies. ..