Affiliation: University of California
- Wear versus thickness and other features of 5-Mrad crosslinked UHMWPE acetabular linersFu Wen Shen
The J Vernon Luck Sr, MD, Orthopaedic Research Center, UCLA and Orthopaedic Hospital Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2400 S Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90007, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 469:395-404. 2011..However, this requires the use of thinner liners in the acetabular component, with concern that higher contact stresses will increase wear, offsetting the benefits of the crosslinking...
- The lexicon of polyethylene wear in artificial jointsHarry A McKellop
J Vernon Luck Orthopedic Research Center, Los Angeles, USA
Biomaterials 28:5049-57. 2007..As with the types of damage, it will be important in the coming years to maximize clarity and minimize redundancy of the vocabulary in this important area of research...
- Effect of sterilization method and other modifications on the wear resistance of acetabular cups made of ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene. A hip-simulator studyH McKellop
J Vernon Luck Orthopaedic Research Center and the Joint Replacement Institute, Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital, California 90007, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 82:1708-25. 2000....
- Potential thermal artifacts in hip joint wear simulatorsZ Lu
The J Vernon Luck Orthopaedic Research Center, Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Biomed Mater Res 48:458-64. 1999..5 Hz but had little affect at 2 Hz. Reducing the cycling rate is an effective way to avoid overheating of the specimens, but this necessarily extends the time required to complete a test...
- Development of an extremely wear-resistant ultra high molecular weight polyethylene for total hip replacementsH McKellop
J Vernon Luck Orthopaedic Research Center, and Department of Orthopaedics, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
J Orthop Res 17:157-67. 1999....
- Frictional heating of bearing materials tested in a hip joint wear simulatorZ Lu
J Vernon Luck Orthopaedic Research Center, Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital, USA
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 211:101-8. 1997..The rank order of the surface temperatures corresponded to the relative amounts of protein that were precipitated in the test chambers during wear tests with these materials...
- The effect of frictional heating and forced cooling on the serum lubricant and wear of UHMW polyethylene cups against cobalt-chromium and zirconia ballsY S Liao
The J Vernon Luck Orthopaedic Research Center, Orthopaedic Hospital UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Biomaterials 24:3047-59. 2003....
- How have wear testing and joint simulator studies helped to discriminate among materials and designs?Harry A McKellop
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, UCLA Orthopaedic Hospital, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 16:S111-9. 2008....
- Interaction of oxidation and crosslinking in gamma-irradiated ultrahigh molecular-weight polyethyleneFu Wen Shen
The J Vernon Luck Orthopaedic Research Center, Orthopaedic Hospital, University of California, 2400 S Flower Street, Los Angeles 90007, USA
J Biomed Mater Res 61:430-9. 2002....
- Accuracy of measurement of polyethylene wear with use of radiographs of total hip replacementsEdward Ebramzadeh
Biomechanics Laboratory, Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital, 2400 South Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90007, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:2378-84. 2003..The purpose of this study was to compare the accuracy of several such measurement methods with use of both laboratory radiographs and routine clinical radiographs...
- Long-term radiographic changes in cemented total hip arthroplasty with six designs of femoral componentsEdward Ebramzadeh
Biomechanics Laboratory, The J Vernon Luck Center for Orthopaedic Research, Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital UCLA, 90007, USA
Biomaterials 24:3351-63. 2003....
- How have new designs and new types of joint replacement influenced wear behavior?Steven M Kurtz
Exponent, Inc, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 16:S107-10. 2008..Advances in these types of implants have the potential for major clinical impact in the coming decade, due to the large number of patients seeking treatment of knee arthritis as well as back pain, neck pain, and radiculopathy...
- How have new sterilization techniques and new forms of polyethylene influenced wear in total joint replacement?Roy D Crowninshield
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 16:S80-5. 2008..Newer second-generation methods of cross-linking polyethylene include the use of vitamin E, which quenches free radicals and demonstrates promise in providing low wear and desirable mechanical properties...
- How do alternative bearing surfaces influence wear behavior?Ian C Clarke
Peterson Research Center, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 16:S86-93. 2008..Thus, the role of laboratory studies is to isolate relevant aspects of performance by cup design and to predict the risk-benefit ratios in patients requiring total hip replacement...
- How do material properties influence wear and fracture mechanisms?Clare Rimnac
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 16:S94-100. 2008..Mechanical tests as well as computational material and structural models should be developed to evaluate the combined effect of material and geometry (structure) on fracture resistance under clinically relevant loading conditions...
- What design factors influence wear behavior at the bearing surfaces in total joint replacements?Thomas D Brown
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 16:S101-6. 2008..However, untoward complexities occurring in vivo, such as impingement or third-body challenge, can appreciably compromise wear performance even for implants that are well-designed in terms of bearing surface stress minimization...