Affiliation: University of California
- Increased HLA-DR expression on peripheral blood monocytes in subsets of subjects with primary HIV infection is associated with elevated CD4 T-cell apoptosis and CD4 T-cell depletionRonnie L Gascon
University of California at San Francisco, Department of Medicine, 94110, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 30:146-53. 2002..002). We conclude that monocyte activation as defined by elevation of CD14/DR expression correlates to CD4 T-cell depletion in primary HIV infection, and is predictive of a poor CD4 T-cell response to HAART in a subset of patients...
- MCP-1 chemokine receptor CCR2 is decreased on circulating monocytes in sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (sALS)Rongzhen Zhang
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Neuroimmunol 179:87-93. 2006..Defective monocyte/macrophages may play an active role in sALS...
- Development of WF10, a novel macrophage-regulating agentMichael S McGrath
AIDS Immunobiology Research Laboratory, San Francisco General Hospital Medical Center, CA 94110, USA
Curr Opin Investig Drugs 3:365-73. 2002..WF10 is currently being studied in the US, Europe and Asia for treatment of late-stage HIV disease, as well as recurrent prostate cancer, late post-radiation cystitis, autoimmune disease and chronic active hepatitis C disease...
- The role of macrophages in the development and progression of AIDS-related non-Hodgkin lymphomaLeanne C Huysentruyt
Department of Medicine, Hematology and Oncology, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
J Leukoc Biol 87:627-32. 2010..This review will highlight and discuss the role of macrophage viral reservoirs in the development and progression of ARLs and hopefully, shed light on this new and interesting field...
- Immune activation set point during early HIV infection predicts subsequent CD4+ T-cell changes independent of viral loadSteven G Deeks
San Francisco General Hospital, 995 Potrero Ave, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Blood 104:942-7. 2004..These data indicate that immunologic activation set point is established early in HIV infection, and that this set point determines the rate at which CD4+ T cells are lost over time...
- Circulating endotoxin and systemic immune activation in sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (sALS)Rongzhen Zhang
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Neuroimmunol 206:121-4. 2009..These data suggest that systemic LPS levels and activated monocyte/macrophages may play significant roles in the pathogenesis of sALS...
- Evidence for systemic immune system alterations in sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (sALS)Rongzhen Zhang
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, 995 Potrero Avenue, Building 80, Ward 84, Box 0874, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
J Neuroimmunol 159:215-24. 2005..These data are consistent with a disease model previously suggested for AD, wherein systemic immunologic activation plays an active role in sALS...
- HIV-1 nef protein visits B-cells via macrophage nanotubes: a mechanism for AIDS-related lymphoma pathogenesis?Susanna L Lamers
Polytechnic Institute of New York University, Brooklyn, NY, USA
Curr HIV Res 8:638-40. 2010..The conduits discovered by Xu et al. may lead to a better understanding of how HIV infection results in lymphomagenesis...
- Differential effects on innate versus adaptive immune responses by WF10Thomas Giese
Institute of Immunology, School of Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 305, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Cell Immunol 229:149-58. 2004..Inhibition of NFAT regulated genes in activated lymphocytes in concert with the induction of several myeloid cell associated pro-inflammatory genes in monocytes represents a novel mechanism of immune modulation...
- Prediction of R5, X4, and R5X4 HIV-1 coreceptor usage with evolved neural networksSusanna L Lamers
BioInfoExperts, Gainesville, FL 32606, USA
IEEE/ACM Trans Comput Biol Bioinform 5:291-300. 2008..We demonstrate the use of artificial neural networks trained via evolutionary computation to predict viral co-receptor usage. The results indicate identification of R5X4 viruses with predictive accuracy of 75.5%...
- Injection of human primary effusion lymphoma cells or associated macrophages into severe combined immunodeficient mice causes murine lymphomasElisabeth Zenger
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 94110, USA
Cancer Res 62:5536-42. 2002..S. McGrath et al., Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr., 8: 379-385, 1995; M. S. McGrath et al., Infectious Causes of Cancer: Targets for Intervention, pp. 231-242, Totowa, NJ: Humana Press, 2000)...
- Phylodynamic analysis of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 in distinct brain compartments provides a model for the neuropathogenesis of AIDSMarco Salemi
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California at Irvine, USA
J Virol 79:11343-52. 2005....
- HIV Sequence Evolution in AIDS Dementia PathogenesisMichael McGrath; Fiscal Year: 2009..The ultimate goal will be to determine whether specific HIV sequences contribute to HAD pathogenesis and whether those sequences can be identified in the blood of patients at risk for HAD. ..
- ACSB Central Operations and Data Coodinating CenterMichael McGrath; Fiscal Year: 2007..fs20\par \par } ..
- West Coast AIDS and Cancer Specimen Bank ConsortiumMichael McGrath; Fiscal Year: 2007..fs20\par \par } ..
- Macrophage Targeted Therapy for HAD and HIV DiseaseMichael McGrath; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed studies will be coordinated by Michael McGrath M.D., PhD...
- HIV Sequence Evolution in AIDS Dementia PathogenesisMichael McGrath; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ultimate goal will be to determine whether specific HIV sequences contribute to HAD pathogenesis and whether those sequences can be identified in the blood of patients at risk for HAD. ..
- West Coast AIDS and Cancer Specimen Bank ConsortiumMichael McGrath; Fiscal Year: 2006..The coordinated interaction between this West Coast consortium with other funded ACSB sites will be assured by Dr. McGrath?s continued participation in the overall leadership of the national ACSB. ..
- ACSB Central Operations and Data Coodinating CenterMichael McGrath; Fiscal Year: 2006..The annual planning session is used to evaluate as well as plan for the upcoming year. This newly established CODCC will work the NCI and funded ACSB sites specifically as defined by the current RFA. ..
- Endogenous Retrovirus Herv-K in Lymphoma and ALSMichael McGrath; Fiscal Year: 2004..Additionally this study can open up new avenues of investigation into the etiology, pathogenesis and, ultimately, the treatment of both lymphoma and ALS. ..