Genomes and Genes
Michael F McEntee
Affiliation: University of Tennessee
- Relationship of beta-catenin and Bcl-2 expression to sulindac-induced regression of intestinal tumors in Min miceM F McEntee
Department of Pathology and Nutrition, University of Tennessee, Knoxville 37901, USA
Carcinogenesis 20:635-40. 1999..Results suggest that modulation of aberrant beta-catenin expression occurs during NSAID-induced regression of intestinal adenomas and that Bcl-2 may confer resistance to these effects...
- Dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids enhance hormone ablation therapy in androgen-dependent prostate cancerMichael F McEntee
Department of Pathobiology, University of Tennessee, 2407 River Dr, Rm A201, Knoxville, TN 37996 4542, USA
Am J Pathol 173:229-41. 2008..In conclusion, dietary n-3 PUFA may enhance the response of prostate cancer to ablation therapy and retard progression to androgen-independent growth by altering tumor PUFA content...
- Cyclooxygenase-2 expression in spontaneous intestinal neoplasia of domestic dogsM F McEntee
Department of Pathology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA
Vet Pathol 39:428-36. 2002..These changes duplicate molecular changes in human intestinal tumorigenesis and substantiate a fundamental role for both beta-catenin and Cox-2 in intestinal neoplasia...
- Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids and colorectal neoplasiaM F McEntee
Department of Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Institute of Agriculture, University of Tennessee, Knoxville 37996 4542, USA
Biomed Pharmacother 56:380-7. 2002..We will review some of these data and provide a summary of our own work showing that conversion of arachidonate to prostaglandin E2 contributes significantly to tumor growth through the modulation of apoptosis and cellular proliferation...
- MCC-555-induced NAG-1 expression is mediated in part by KLF4Maria Cekanova
Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 637:30-7. 2010..This study shows that PPARgamma agonists up-regulate KLF4 expression in receptor-dependent manner, and KLF4 was identified as a novel transcription factor that controls NAG-1 promoter activity in human and mouse colorectal cancers...
- A green tea component suppresses posttranslational expression of basic fibroblast growth factor in colorectal cancerMugdha Sukhthankar
Laboratory of Environmental Carcinogenesis, Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996, USA
Gastroenterology 134:1972-80. 2008..However, the exact molecular mechanism by which EGCG suppresses bFGF expression is not known. Our objective was to elucidate the molecular mechanisms by which EGCG inhibits bFGF expression in colorectal cancer...
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-activated gene-1 over expression in transgenic mice suppresses intestinal neoplasiaSeung Joon Baek
Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Gastroenterology 131:1553-60. 2006..However, its antitumorigenic activity has not been elucidated in vivo...
- Dietary EPA reduces tumor load in ApcMin/+ mice by altering arachidonic acid metabolism, but conjugated linoleic acid, gamma--and alpha-linolenic acids have no effectJay Whelan
Department of Nutrition, 229 Jessie Harris Building, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996 1900, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 507:579-84. 2002
- Dietary resveratrol does not affect intestinal tumorigenesis in Apc(Min/+) miceCarol C Ziegler
Department of Nutrition, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, USA
J Nutr 134:5-10. 2004..However, immunohistochemical staining of intestinal tumors revealed no changes in COX-2 expression. This study demonstrates that resveratrol consumed ad libitum in the diet, does not modify tumorigenesis in Apc(Min/+) mice...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor ligand MCC-555 suppresses intestinal polyps in ApcMin/+ mice via extracellular signal-regulated kinase and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-dependent pathwaysKiyoshi Yamaguchi
Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, The University of Tennessee, 2407 River Drive, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 7:2779-87. 2008..Overall, these results indicate that MCC-555 has a potent tumor suppressor activity in intestinal tumorigenesis, likely involving MUC2 up-regulation by ERK and PPARgamma pathways...
- Dietary (n-6) PUFA and intestinal tumorigenesisJay Whelan
Department of Nutrition and the Tennessee Agricultural Experiment Station, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA
J Nutr 134:3421S-3426S. 2004..It is the relative contributions of the different dietary PUFA that may determine overall risk for and progression of the disease...
- The involvement of endoplasmic reticulum stress in the suppression of colorectal tumorigenesis by tolfenamic acidXiaobo Zhang
College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, 2407 River Drive, Knoxville, TN 37996 4542 Phone 865 974 8216 Fax 865 974 5616 Qingwang Li, College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest A and F University, 22 Xinong Road, Yangling, Shaanxi 712100, People s Republic of China
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 6:1337-47. 2013..Taken together, these results suggest ER stress is involved in tolfenamic acid-induced inhibition of colorectal cancer cell growth, which could contribute to antitumorigenesis in a mouse model...
- Zyflamend, a combination of herbal extracts, attenuates tumor growth in murine xenograft models of prostate cancerE Chu Huang
Department of Nutrition, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 192, USA
Nutr Cancer 64:749-60. 2012....
- Zyflamend, a polyherbal mixture, down regulates class I and class II histone deacetylases and increases p21 levels in castrate-resistant prostate cancer cellsE Chu Huang
Department of Nutrition, University of Tennessee, 1215 West Cumberland Avenue, Room 229 Jessie Harris Building, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 14:68. 2014..The current experiments were designed to investigate the effects of Zyflamend on the expression of class I and II histone deacetylases, a family of enzymes known to be over expressed in a variety of cancers...
- Ocular lesions in canine mucopolysaccharidosis I and response to enzyme replacement therapyKim M Newkirk
Department of Pathobiology, University of Tennessee, College of Veterinary Medicine, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:5130-5. 2011..The purpose of this study was to determine the extent of ocular GAG accumulation and investigate the effectiveness of intravenous enzyme replacement therapy (ERT) on corneal GAG accumulation in dogs...
- Zyflamend reduces the expression of androgen receptor in a model of castrate-resistant prostate cancerE Chu Huang
Department of Nutrition, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 1920, USA
Nutr Cancer 63:1287-96. 2011..In conclusion, Zyflamend decreased cell proliferation and inhibited IGF-1R and androgen receptor expression in a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/pAKT independent manner...
- Prostaglandin E(2) protects intestinal tumors from nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced regression in Apc(Min/+) miceMelissa B Hansen-Petrik
Department of Nutrition, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996, USA
Cancer Res 62:403-8. 2002..Overall, our results suggest that NSAIDs exert their antitumorigenic effects, in part, via interference with PGE(2) biosynthesis, and these effects may be mediated through changes in intracellular calcium levels...
- Arterial pathology in canine mucopolysaccharidosis-I and response to therapyJeremiah A Lyons
Department of Pathobiology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, USA
Lab Invest 91:665-74. 2011....
- Phenotypic characterization of polygenic type 2 diabetes in TALLYHO/JngJ miceJung Han Kim
Department of Nutrition, The University of Tennesse, Knoxville, Tennesse 37996 1920, USA
J Endocrinol 191:437-46. 2006..These findings suggest that obesity and insulin resistance are an inherent part of the TH phenotype and glucose intolerance is evident preceding progression to overt diabetes in male TH mice...
- Epicatechin gallate-induced expression of NAG-1 is associated with growth inhibition and apoptosis in colon cancer cellsSeung Joon Baek
Laboratory of Environmental Carcinogenesis, Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, 2407 River Drive, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
Carcinogenesis 25:2425-32. 2004..The data generated by this study will help elucidate mechanisms of action for components in green tea and this information may lead to the design of more effective anticancer agents and informed clinical trials...
- Selective inhibition of Delta-6 desaturase impedes intestinal tumorigenesisMelissa B Hansen-Petrik
Department of Nutrition, University of Tennessee, 229 Jessie Harris Building, 1215 West Cumberland Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37996 1900, USA
Cancer Lett 175:157-63. 2002....
- Suppression of tumor cell invasion by cyclooxygenase inhibitors is mediated by thrombospondin-1 via the early growth response gene Egr-1Yuseok Moon
Eicosanoid Biochemistry Section, Laboratory of Molecular Carcinogenesis, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, 111 T W Alexander Drive, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 4:1551-8. 2005..This is the first report suggesting that COX inhibitors suppress tumor cell invasion via TSP-1, which occurs downstream of Egr-1...