Affiliation: University of Miami
- Crack cocaine: effect modifier of RNA viral load and CD4 count in HIV infected African American womenRobert Duncan
University of Miami School of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Front Biosci 12:1488-95. 2007..This report supports a view of deleterious effects due to cocaine use in humans...
- Prevention myths and HIV risk reduction by active drug usersLisa R Metsch
University of Miami, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Miami, FL 33136, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 16:150-9. 2004..These findings highlight the need for prevention interventions to elicit prevention myths and the full range of risk reduction strategies practiced...
- Risk behaviors and HIV/AIDS prevention education among IDUs in drug treatment in ShanghaiMin Zhao
Shanghai Drug Abuse Treatment Center, Shanghai Mental Health Center, 600 South Wanping Road, Shanghai 200030, China
J Urban Health 82:iv84-91. 2005..Therefore, HIV/AIDS prevention education should to be an important component of drug treatment...
- Trends of HIV risk behaviors in a cohort of injecting drug users and their sex partners in Miami, Florida, 1988-1998Clyde B McCoy
Comprehensive Drug Research Center, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Miami School of Medicine, Florida 33136, USA
AIDS Behav 9:187-99. 2005..Knowledge significantly increased among the long-term HIV negatives and seroconverters but not among those HIV positive in 1988. This analysis demonstrates the need for continued intervention among IDUs and their sex partners...
- Drug use and barriers to use of health care servicesC B McCoy
Health Services Research Center, University of Miami School of Medicine, Florida, USA
Subst Use Misuse 36:789-806. 2001..Both categories of chronic drug users were more likely than non-users not to want health care treatment and to put off seeking needed health care...
- Employment among chronic drug users at baseline and 6-month follow-upClyde B McCoy
Comprehensive Drug Research Center, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Subst Use Misuse 42:1055-67. 2007..The majority of CDUs were unemployed at both time periods. Men were more likely than women to exhibit consistent employment over the two time periods. The study's limitations are noted and future research is suggested...
- The CDRC principles of international health researchClyde B McCoy
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, Comprehensive Drug Research Center, University of Miami, 1801 NW 9th Avenue, Suite 300, Miami, FL 33136, USA
J Urban Health 82:iv5-8. 2005..This article presents some of the specific challenges encountered in these research efforts and describes what we have done to resolve the problems and work more effectively and efficiently with foreign investigators...
- Global overview of injecting drug use and HIV infectionClyde B McCoy
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33176, USA
Lancet 365:1008-9. 2005
- The prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and hepatitis C virus among injection drug users who use high risk inner-city locales in Miami, FloridaClyde B McCoy
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Miami School of Medicine, Highland Professional Building, 801 NW 9th Avenue, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 99:789-93. 2004..07, 1.24) and for HIV-1/HCV co-infection (odds ratio = 1.17; 95% confidence interval = 1.09, 1.26). This paper demonstrates that HIV-1/HCV co-infection is highly prevalent among so called "shooting galleries"...
- A comparison of the efficacy of two interventions to reduce HIV risk behaviors among drug usersClyde B McCoy
University of Miami, FL, USA
AIDS Behav 15:1707-14. 2011..Both interventions showed changes from baseline to follow-up; RESPECT was more effective than the NIDA standard intervention in reducing high risk sex behaviors...
- Injection drug use and crack cocaine smoking: independent and dual risk behaviors for HIV infectionClyde B McCoy
Comprehensive Drug Research Center, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Ann Epidemiol 14:535-42. 2004..To explore the independent and dual risks of injection practices and crack smoking, this study examined HIV seroprevalence rates among distinct drug user groups, based on patterns of daily administration...
- Sex risk practices among HIV-positive individuals in Buenos Aires, ArgentinaEduardo E Valverde
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Miami, Florida, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 23:551-6. 2009....
- HIV transmission risk behaviors among HIV-infected persons who are successfully linked to careLisa R Metsch
Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, USA
Clin Infect Dis 47:577-84. 2008..We examined the relationship between receipt of medical care for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection and HIV transmission risk behavior among persons who had received a recent diagnosis of HIV infection...
- Mammography use among Haitian women in Miami, Florida: an opportunity for interventionErin Kobetz
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 1120 NW 14th Street, Miami, FL 33136, USA
J Immigr Minor Health 12:418-21. 2010..Such findings, though not surprising, suggest that grouping all black persons, regardless of ancestry, into one research category may mask variation in disease risk...
- Met and unmet need for dental services among active drug users in Miami, FloridaLisa R Metsch
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Miami School of Medicine, 1801 NW 9th Avenue, 3rd Floor, Miami, FL 33136, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 29:176-88. 2002..These services could be integrated into existing behavioral health programs already targeting active drug users...
- Chronic drug use and reproductive health care among low-income women in Miami, Florida: a comparative study of access, need, and utilizationLee A Crandall
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Miami, 1801 NW 9th Ave R 669, 2nd Floor, Miami, FL 33136, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 30:321-31. 2003....
- A community-based breast cancer screening program for medically underserved women: its effect on disease stage at diagnosis and on hazard of deathClyde B McCoy
University of Miami School of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Miami, Florida 33136
Rev Panam Salud Publica 15:160-7. 2004..The specific purpose of this study was to assess the effect that EDP participation had on stage at diagnosis and on hazard of death...
- Quantification of HIV GAG RNA using real time reverse transcriptase PCRPaul Shapshak
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Front Biosci 10:135-42. 2005..The presented method is highly reproducible and the assay's performance is comparable to prior assays. The assay is validated with an 8-log range down to 80 copies...
- Molecular and contextual markers of hepatitis C virus and drug abusePaul Shapshak
Division of Infectious Disease and International Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Tampa General Hospital, University of South Florida, College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida, USA
Mol Diagn Ther 13:153-79. 2009..In this review, we discuss recent findings concerning the impact of drug abuse, epidemiology, social behavior, virology, immunopathology, and genetics on HCV infection and the course of disease...
- HIV sexual risk behaviors among injection drug users in ShanghaiMin Zhao
Shanghai Drug Abuse Treatment Center, Shanghai Mental Health Center, 600 South Wanping Road Shanghai 200030, China
Drug Alcohol Depend 82:S43-7. 2006..This study investigated the sexual risk behaviors among injection drug users. (IDUs) in order to inform the development of sexual risk reduction interventions for IDUs...