Affiliation: University of Iowa
- Mirror neuron function, psychosis, and empathy in schizophreniaLaurie M McCormick
Department of Psychiatry, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA, USA
Psychiatry Res 201:233-9. 2012..The present study suggests that abnormal mirror neuron activity may exist among patients with schizophrenia during the active (psychotic) phase of the illness, and correlates with severity of psychosis...
- Effects of atypical and typical neuroleptics on anterior cingulate volume in schizophreniaLaurie McCormick
The University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, W278 GH, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Mental Health Clinical Research Center, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Schizophr Res 80:73-84. 2005..The increase in anterior cingulate volume with typicals is correlated to improved psychotic symptoms over time...
- Anterior cingulate cortex: an MRI-based parcellation methodLaurie M McCormick
Department of Psychiatry, University of Iowa, Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, 200 Hawkins Drive, W268 GH, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Neuroimage 32:1167-75. 2006..Our main purpose was to develop an MRI-based parcellation method of the ACC that permits us to explore plausible abnormalities in 4 functionally relevant subregions: dorsal, rostral, subcallosal and subgenual...
- Implications of starvation-induced change in right dorsal anterior cingulate volume in anorexia nervosaLaurie M McCormick
Department of Psychiatry, University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Int J Eat Disord 41:602-10. 2008..This study sought to determine whether ACC volume was affected by starvation in active AN and, if so, whether this had any clinical significance...
- Antipsychotic effect of electroconvulsive therapy is related to normalization of subgenual cingulate theta activity in psychotic depressionLaurie M McCormick
Department of Psychiatry, University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine, Psychiatric Iowa Neuroimaging Center, 200 Hawkins Drive, W278 GH, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Psychiatr Res 43:553-60. 2009..Since patients with psychotic depression are known to respond particularly robustly to ECT, we investigated whether the therapeutic effect of ECT in this population was related to normalization of abnormal theta activity in the ACC...
- Relative ineffectiveness of ultrabrief right unilateral versus bilateral electroconvulsive therapy in depressionLaurie M McCormick
Department of Psychiatry, University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J ECT 25:238-42. 2009..Although studies have found UB-RUL ECT to have similar effectiveness to BL ECT, the objective of this study was to determine potential differences in efficiency (ie, the number of treatments needed to reach remission)...
- A pilot study of personality pathology in patients with anorexia nervosa: modifiable factors related to outcome after hospitalizationL M McCormick
Department of Psychiatry, Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Eat Weight Disord 14:e113-20. 2009..To assess improvement in aspects of personality in patients hospitalized with anorexia nervosa (AN) and its relationship to improved depression, body mass index (BMI), and eating disorder outcome after treatment...
- Beyond alcoholism: Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome in patients with psychiatric disordersLaurie M McCormick
Department of Psychiatry, Psychiatric Iowa Neuroimaging Consortium, Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Cogn Behav Neurol 24:209-16. 2011..However, patients with nutritional deficiencies of any origin are at risk for WKS. We present clinical histories and neuroimaging data on 2 young adults with underlying psychiatric disorders who became malnourished and developed WKS...