Carolyn A McCarty
Affiliation: University of Washington
- Correlates of expressed emotion in mothers of clinically-referred youth: an examination of the five-minute speech sampleCarolyn A McCarty
Department of Psychology, University of California, UCLA, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 43:759-68. 2002..g., multiple positive comments about the son or daughter) may be normative and benign for parents and their juvenile children. Thus, EOI, as currently operationalized, may not be related to child psychopathology in the way CRIT is...
- Adolescents with suicidal ideation: health care use and functioningCarolyn A McCarty
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98145, USA
Acad Pediatr 11:422-6. 2011....
- Longitudinal associations among depression, obesity and alcohol use disorders in young adulthoodCarolyn A McCarty
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98115, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 31:442-50. 2009..This study examined concurrent and prospective relations between clinical depression, obesity and alcohol use disorders during young adulthood to better understand common etiology and the progression of co-occurrence...
- Adolescent school failure predicts later depression among girlsCarolyn A McCarty
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Adolesc Health 43:180-7. 2008..The present study tests a longitudinal cascade model of adolescent problems predicting depression into adulthood, while additionally testing for gender differences...
- Effects of psychotherapy for depression in children and adolescents: what we can (and can't) learn from meta-analysis and component profilingCarolyn A McCarty
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195-4920, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 46:879-86. 2007
- Cognitive features associated with depressive symptoms in adolescence: directionality and specificityCarolyn A McCarty
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 36:147-58. 2007..Depressive symptoms also predicted more rejection sensitivity, whereas conduct problems predicted lower self-esteem...
- Parental emotional support and subsequent internalizing and externalizing problems among childrenCarolyn A McCarty
Department of Pediatrics, Child Health Institute, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98115 8160, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 26:267-75. 2005..This study discusses the importance of very early parental emotional support in promoting positive child development...
- Mediators of the relation between maternal depressive symptoms and child internalizing and disruptive behavior disordersCarolyn A McCarty
University of Washington, Child Health Institute, Department of Pediatrics, Seattle, WA 98195 4920, USA
J Fam Psychol 17:545-56. 2003..Gender and race were tested as moderators, but significant model differences did not emerge between boys and girls or between African American and Caucasian youths...
- Parent-child interactions in relation to critical and emotionally overinvolved expressed emotion (EE): is EE a proxy for behavior?Carolyn A McCarty
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 4920, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 32:83-93. 2004..We conclude that high parental CRIT can be used as an index of problematic parent-child interactions...
- Continuity of binge and harmful drinking from late adolescence to early adulthoodCarolyn A McCarty
Department of Pediatrics, Child Health Institute, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98115 8160, USA
Pediatrics 114:714-9. 2004..To test the hypothesis that late adolescent drinking behavior (ages 17-20) is associated with harmful and binge drinking in early adulthood (ages 30-31)...
- Predictors of persistence after a positive depression screen among adolescentsLaura P Richardson
Departments of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98121, USA
Pediatrics 130:e1541-8. 2012..To examine predictors of depression persistence after a positive screening test to inform management protocols for screened youth...
- Mental health disorders and long-term opioid use among adolescents and young adults with chronic painLaura P Richardson
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Adolesc Health 50:553-8. 2012....
- Effects of childhood conduct problems and family adversity on health, health behaviors, and service use in early adulthood: tests of developmental pathways involving adolescent risk taking and depressionTodd I Herrenkohl
University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Dev Psychopathol 22:655-65. 2010..Developmental patterns found in these data offer implications for future research and prevention...
- Emotional health predictors of substance use initiation during middle schoolCarolyn A McCarty
University of Washington and Seattle Children s Hospital, Center for Child Health, Behavior, and Development, M S CW8 6, P O Box 5371, Seattle, WA 98121, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 26:351-7. 2012..Future research examining anxiety as a predictor of substance use should distinguish between subtypes of anxiety...
- Developmental consistency in associations between depressive symptoms and alcohol use in early adolescenceCarolyn A McCarty
University of Washington and Seattle Children s Hospital, Center for Child Health, Behavior, and Development, Seattle, WA 98121, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 73:444-53. 2012..The current study examined whether the associations between depressive symptoms and alcohol use were similar in valence and magnitude over a 4-year period in early adolescence...
- Prevention of deaths from harmful drinking in the United States: the potential effects of tax increases and advertising bans on young drinkersWilliam Hollingworth
Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center, Box 359960, 325 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, Washington 98104 2499, USA
J Stud Alcohol 67:300-8. 2006..In this study, we estimate the impact of interventions to reduce the prevalence of drinking among youth on subsequent drinking patterns and alcohol-attributable mortality...
- Depressive symptoms in adolescence: the association with multiple health risk behaviorsWayne Katon
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195 6560, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 32:233-9. 2010....
- Callous-unemotional traits as unique prospective risk factors for substance use in early adolescent boys and girlsBrian T Wymbs
Seattle Children s Research Institute, 2001 8th Ave, Suite 600 M S CW8 6, Seattle, WA 98121, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 40:1099-110. 2012..Study findings highlight the importance of accounting for CD symptoms and gender when examining links between CU traits and substance use in early adolescence...
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and telemental healthNancy B Palmer
Seattle Children s Research Institute, Seattle Children s Hospital, Seattle, WA, USA
Curr Psychiatry Rep 12:409-17. 2010..This article reviews the status of child and adolescent telepsychiatry, with particular focus on its potential to improve the care and outcomes of underserved populations of youth diagnosed with ADHD...
- Trends in the prescription of opioids for adolescents with non-cancer painLaura P Richardson
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 33:423-8. 2011..The goal of the current study is to examine trends and factors associated with prescription opioid use among adolescents with common non-cancer pain (NCP) conditions, sampled from two contrasting populations...
- Abusive parents' reports of child behavior problems: relationship to observed parent-child interactionsAnna S Lau
Department of Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, 1285 Franz Hall, Box 9511563, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563, USA
Child Abuse Negl 30:639-55. 2006..CONCLUSIONS: Results indicate that abusive parents may over-report externalizing behavior problems in their children...
- Evaluation of the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 Item for detecting major depression among adolescentsLaura P Richardson
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Pediatrics 126:1117-23. 2010..The purpose of this study was to examine the performance characteristics and validity of the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 Item (PHQ-9) as a screening tool for depression among adolescents...
- Early television exposure and subsequent attentional problems in childrenDimitri A Christakis
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Pediatrics 113:708-13. 2004..The objective of this study was to test the hypothesis that early television exposure (at ages 1 and 3) is associated with attentional problems at age 7...
- Child and adolescent telepsychiatry: variations in utilization, referral patterns and practice trendsKathleen M Myers
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Telemed Telecare 16:128-33. 2010....
- Mortality attributable to harmful drinking in the United States, 2000Frederick P Rivara
Department of Pediatrics, and the Child Health Institute, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98115 8160, USA
J Stud Alcohol 65:530-6. 2004..This study provides updated information on the number of deaths in the United States attributable to harmful drinking...
- Can patterns of alcohol use disorder in young adulthood help explain gender differences in depression?Jungeun Olivia Lee
Social Development Research Group, School of Social Work, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98115 Electronic address
Compr Psychiatry 53:1071-7. 2012..To test whether gender differences in the prevalence of major depressive disorder differ by longitudinal patterns of alcohol use disorder symptoms...
- Effects of psychotherapy for depression in children and adolescents: a meta-analysisJohn R Weisz
Judge Baker Children s Center, Harvard University, Boston, MA 02120 3225, USA
Psychol Bull 132:132-49. 2006..Youth depression treatments appear to produce effects that are significant but modest in their strength, breadth, and durability...
- Youth depression in the family context: familial risk factors and models of treatmentJanay B Sander
Department of Educational Psychology, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Clin Child Fam Psychol Rev 8:203-19. 2005..The article concludes with a discussion of the implications of these findings and directions for further research...
- Prevention of Depression Among Pre-Adolescent YouthCAROLYN MC CARTY; Fiscal Year: 2007..The data collected will form the basis for a future R-01 research proposal to study an expanded application of the prevention program that will be generated. ..
- The Role of Depression in the development of Alcohol Problems Among AdolescentsCAROLYN A MC CARTY; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research is responsive to NIAAA's Underage Drinking Research Initiative, as well as the Surgeon General's Call to Action to Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking. ..