Michael A McCartney
Affiliation: University of North Carolina
- Adaptive evolution of sperm bindin tracks egg incompatibility in neotropical sea urchins of the genus EchinometraMichael A McCartney
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Balboa, Republic of Panama
Mol Biol Evol 21:732-45. 2004..Instead, processes acting to varying degrees within species (e.g., sperm competition, sexual selection, and sexual conflict) are more promising explanations for lineage-specific positive selection on bindin...
- Comparison of gamete compatibility between two blue mussel species in sympatry and in allopatryChristin Slaughter
Department of Biological Sciences, Center for Marine Science, University of North Carolina at Wilmington, 5600 Marvin Moss Lane, Wilmington, North Carolina 28409, USA
Biol Bull 214:57-66. 2008..trossulus genes that control egg compatibility, such as those encoding receptors for sperm, may influence evolution of gametic isolation in hybridizing populations...
- Evolutionary consequences of introgression at M7 lysin, a gamete recognition locus, following secondary contact between blue mussel speciesMichael A McCartney
Department of Biology and Marine Biology, Center for Marine Science, University of North Carolina Wilmington, Wilmington, NC 28403, USA
Integr Comp Biol 51:474-84. 2011..We consider these results in the context of selection operating on gamete recognition loci, both within and between species, during the third stage of allopatric speciation in Mytilus...
- Sea urchin bindin divergence predicts gamete compatibilityKirk S Zigler
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Balboa, Panama
Evolution 59:2399-404. 2005....
- AFLP fingerprinting shows that a single Prymnesium parvum harmful algal bloom consists of multiple clonesFelipe S Barreto
Department of Biology and Marine Biology, Center for Marine Science, 5600 Marvin Moss Lane, Wilmington, NC 28409, USA
J Hered 102:747-52. 2011..These results demonstrate that blooms can be genetically diverse outbreaks and indicate that AFLP can be a powerful molecular tool for characterizing and monitoring this diversity...
- Genetic mosaic in a marine species flockMichael A McCartney
Department of Biological Sciences, 601 S College Road, University of North Carolina at Wilmington, Wilmington NC 28403, USA
Mol Ecol 12:2963-73. 2003....
- Quantitative analysis of gametic incompatibility between closely related species of neotropical sea urchinsMichael A McCartney
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Apartado 2072, Balboa, Republic of Panama
Biol Bull 202:166-81. 2002..Compensatory sexual selection on sperm in this species could follow, and promote divergence of proteins mediating sperm-egg recognition...
- Extraordinary AFLP fingerprint similarity despite strong assortative mating between reef fish color morphospeciesFelipe S Barreto
Department of Biological Sciences and Center for Marine Science, University of North Carolina at Wilmington, Wilmington, NC 28409, USA
Evolution 62:226-33. 2008..This study provides a clear example of strong assortative mating in a system with limited genetic differentiation...