John J McCarthy
Affiliation: University of Kentucky
- Murach K, McCarthy J. MicroRNAs, heart failure, and aging: potential interactions with skeletal muscle. Heart Fail Rev. 2017;22:209-218 pubmed publisher..An overview of miRNA alterations in skeletal muscle during the ubiquitous process of aging and perspectives on miRNA interactions during heart failure are also provided. ..
- Fry C, Kirby T, Kosmac K, McCarthy J, Peterson C. Myogenic Progenitor Cells Control Extracellular Matrix Production by Fibroblasts during Skeletal Muscle Hypertrophy. Cell Stem Cell. 2017;20:56-69 pubmed publisher..These findings provide insights into how skeletal stem and progenitor cells interact with other cell types to actively regulate their extracellular environments for tissue maintenance and adaptation. ..
- McCarthy J, Esser K, Andrade F. MicroRNA-206 is overexpressed in the diaphragm but not the hindlimb muscle of mdx mouse. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007;293:C451-7 pubmed..These results are the first to report alterations in expression of muscle-enriched microRNAs in skeletal muscle of the mdx mouse, suggesting microRNAs may have a role in the pathophysiology of muscular dystrophy. ..
- McCarthy J, Esser K, Peterson C, Dupont Versteegden E. Evidence of MyomiR network regulation of beta-myosin heavy chain gene expression during skeletal muscle atrophy. Physiol Genomics. 2009;39:219-26 pubmed publisher..These results further expand the role of miRs in adult skeletal muscle and are consistent with a model in which the MyomiR network regulates slow myosin expression during muscle atrophy. ..
- McCarthy J. The MyomiR network in skeletal muscle plasticity. Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2011;39:150-4 pubmed publisher....
- Kirby T, Lee J, England J, Chaillou T, Esser K, McCarthy J. Blunted hypertrophic response in aged skeletal muscle is associated with decreased ribosome biogenesis. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2015;119:321-7 pubmed publisher..The diminished increase in total RNA, pre-47S rRNA, and 28S rRNA expression in aged muscle suggest that the primary dysfunction in ribosome biogenesis occurs at the level of rRNA transcription and processing. ..