James J McCarthy
Affiliation: University of Wisconsin
- Guided growth of the proximal femur: a pilot study in the lamb modelJames J McCarthy
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53792 7375, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 30:690-4. 2010..The purpose of this study is to determine whether guided growth techniques are effective at altering the morphology of the proximal femur in a lamb model...
- External fixation and centralization versus external fixation and ulnar osteotomy: the treatment of radial dysplasia using the resolved total angle of deformityJames J McCarthy
American Family Children s Hospital, Madison, WI, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 29:797-803. 2009..The purpose of this study is to compare preliminary external fixation and centralization to ulnar osteotomy with external fixation for the treatment of radial dysplasia as measured by the resolved total angle (RTA) of deformity...
- Ulnar fracture with late radial head dislocation: delayed Monteggia fractureAndrea Stitgen
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Orthopedics 35:e434-7. 2012..We present an alternative hypothesis of dislocation after fracture healing and report the longest known period of delay between fracture and dislocation...
- Are terminally threaded guide pins from cannulated screw systems dangerous?Walker Flannery
School of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Orthopedics 34:e374-7. 2011..Furthermore, soft tissue entanglement is more likely and to a greater magnitude with threaded pins than with smooth...
- Double osteotomy for the treatment of severe Blount diseaseJames J McCarthy
Shriners Hospitals for Children, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 29:115-9. 2009..Treatment for severe/relapsing Blount disease is controversial. The purpose of this study is to assess the safety and efficacy of acute medial plateau elevation with concurrent tibial gradual osteotomy...
- Biomechanical comparison between 2 guided-growth constructsAndrea Stitgen
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53705, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 32:206-9. 2012..The purpose of our study was to compare the strength to failure between 2 similar devices, the Orthofix 8-plate manufacturer 1 (M-1) and Biomet Peanut plate manufacturer 2 (M-2), using 2 different screw types: solid and cannulated...
- Iatrogenic radial nerve injury with cannulated fixation of medial epicondyle fractures in the pediatric humerus: a report of 2 casesDavid M Marcu
Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53705, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 31:e13-6. 2011..Our purpose in publishing this series of cases is to shed light on a complication, in the hope that its exposure will help prevent such complications in the future...
- Pain management in patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis undergoing posterior spinal fusion: combined intrathecal morphine and continuous epidural versus PCAMatthew Ravish
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine and Public Health, American Family Children s Hospital, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 32:799-804. 2012..A retrospective case-comparison study...
- Osteonecrosis of the distal tibia metaphysis after a Salter-Harris I injury: a case reportAndrew J Pugely
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
J Orthop Trauma 26:e11-5. 2012..Besides a traumatic incident, the patient did not have any of the risk factors known to cause osteonecrosis. Awareness of this complication after Salter-Harris I fractures will help reduce time to diagnosis and optimize treatment...
- Compartment syndrome after serial casting in spastic diplegic cerebral palsy: a case reportRyan D Muchow
Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 91:653-5. 2010..The purpose of this report is to alert clinicians to the potential for compartment syndrome to occur as a result of serial casting applied to correct deformity...
- Exaggerated inflammatory response after use of recombinant bone morphogenetic protein in recurrent unicameral bone cystsKevin M MacDonald
Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53711, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 30:199-205. 2010..Recombinant bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) has been used with success in other disorders of poor bone formation. This manuscript is the first to report on the use of recombinant BMP in the treatment of UBCs...
- Pediatric deformity correction using a multiaxial correction fixatorJames J McCarthy
American Family Children Hospital, Madison, WI, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:3011-7. 2008..We conclude this fixator can produce satisfactory results with relatively few complications. Level of Evidence: Level IV, therapeutic study. See the Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence...
- Head-shaft angle measurement in children with cerebral palsyAbtin Foroohar
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics, Madison, WI, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 29:248-50. 2009....