Affiliation: University of California
- EuroQol (EQ-5D) measure of quality of life predicts mortality, emergency department utilization, and hospital discharge rates in HIV-infected adults under careWilliam C Mathews
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
Health Qual Life Outcomes 5:5. 2007..The study aim was to estimate the prognostic value of EQ-5D for survival, hospitalization, and emergency department (ED) utilization after controlling for CD4 and HIV plasma viral load (pVL)...
- Meeting practical challenges of a trial involving a multitude of treatment regimens: an example of a multi-center randomized controlled clinical trial in neuroAIDSSusanne May
Division of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, and Department of Neurosciences, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive M C 0717, La Jolla, CA 92093 0717, USA
J Neuroimmune Pharmacol 2:97-104. 2007..A small pilot study demonstrated the feasibility and acceptability to providers. In conclusion, an innovative design can provide solutions to challenging practical issues in trials with multiple treatment options...
- Potential outcome measures and trial design issues for multiple system atrophySusanne May
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0717, USA
Mov Disord 22:2371-7. 2007..The UMSARS Motor Examination score exhibited the most favorable characteristics as an outcome measure for a therapeutic trial in MSA with 1 year of follow-up...
- Pooled nucleic acid testing to identify antiretroviral treatment failure during HIV infectionSusanne May
Division of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 53:194-201. 2010..Only limited research has been done for conditions in which the prevalence of screening positivity is higher (greater than 1%)...
- Pooled nucleic acid testing to detect antiretroviral treatment failure in MexicoMyres W Tilghman
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0711, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 56:e70-4. 2011..We evaluated if a pooling method could improve efficiency and reduce costs while maintaining accuracy...
- Incidence of and risk factors for clinically significant methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection in a cohort of HIV-infected adultsWm Christopher Mathews
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, Owen Clinic, UCSD Medical Center, San Diego, CA 92103, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 40:155-60. 2005..This study's purpose was to estimate trends in the incidence of and risk factors for clinically significant MRSA (CS-MRSA) infection in a cohort of HIV-infected adults...
- Association of adiponectin with coronary heart disease and mortality: the Rancho Bernardo studyGail A Laughlin
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Am J Epidemiol 165:164-74. 2007..001). These results suggest that use of adiponectin for cardiovascular disease risk stratification is premature...
- Determinants of CD4+ T cell recovery during suppressive antiretroviral therapy: association of immune activation, T cell maturation markers, and cellular HIV-1 DNAMiguel Goicoechea
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, Antiviral Antiviral Research Center, 92131
J Infect Dis 194:29-37. 2006..Suboptimal CD4+ T cell recovery during antiretroviral therapy (ART) is a common clinical dilemma...
- Safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics, and Abeta levels after short-term administration of R-flurbiprofen in healthy elderly individualsDouglas R Galasko
Department of Neurosciences, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 21:292-9. 2007..The safety, tolerability, and pharmacokinetic profile of R-flurbiprofen in these older individuals support the ongoing studies of this compound in patients with Alzheimer disease...
- Comparison of algorithms that interpret genotypic HIV-1 drug resistance to determine the prevalence of transmitted drug resistanceLin Liu
University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0679, USA
AIDS 22:835-9. 2008..We compared eight genotypic interpretation methods to determine whether the method used would affect the rates of reported transmitted drug resistance...
- Dynamics of total, linear nonintegrated, and integrated HIV-1 DNA in vivo and in vitroKersten K Koelsch
University of California, San Diego, USA
J Infect Dis 197:411-9. 2008..Recent studies report an association between HIV-1 DNA levels, disease progression, and treatment outcome. However, HIV-1 DNA exists as distinct molecular forms that are not distinguished by conventional assays...
- Predictors of substance use frequency and reductions in seriousness of use among persons living with HIVMarguerita Lightfoot
Center for Community Health, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 77:129-38. 2005..To examine predictors of the current level of substance use and reductions in seriousness of substance use among adults living with HIV...
- A cautionary note on the use of the GrÃ¸nnesby and Borgan goodness-of-fit test for the Cox proportional hazards modelSusanne May
Division of Biostatistics, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Lifetime Data Anal 10:283-91. 2004..In light of these results we suggest a grouping strategy under which the test attains the correct size even for small samples. The power of the test statistic seems to be acceptable when compared to other goodness-of-fit tests...
- Nonparametric tests for two-group comparisons of dependent observations obtained at varying time pointsSusanne May
Division of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Biometrics 63:194-200. 2007..We investigate size and power of the tests and use them to assess differences in viral load decline for drug-resistant and drug-sensitive human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1 infected patients...
- Sex-specific association of the androgen to oestrogen ratio with adipocytokine levels in older adults: the Rancho Bernardo StudyGail A Laughlin
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093-0607, USA
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 65:506-13. 2006....
- Childbearing among daughters of parents with HIVSusanne May
Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Am J Health Behav 30:72-84. 2006..CONCLUSIONS: HIV has a negative intergenerational impact, particularly on depressed young people, which may be buffered by interventions enhancing coping and academic counseling...
- G2019S mutation in the leucine-rich repeat kinase 2 gene is not associated with multiple system atrophyLaurie J Ozelius
Department of Molecular Genetics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
Mov Disord 22:546-9. 2007..We conclude that the G2019S mutation in the LRRK2 gene is unlikely to be associated with MSA...
- Pathogenesis and Diagnosis of Multiple System AtrophySusanne May; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed program project is the first comprehensive study of a diagnostic tools and pathogenesis of MSA. ..