Affiliation: University of California
- Diffusion tensor imaging evidence of white matter disruption associated with loss versus alteration of consciousness in warfighters exposed to combat in Operations Enduring and Iraqi FreedomScott C Matthews
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA
Psychiatry Res 204:149-54. 2012..These preliminary results show that LOC is associated with detectable alterations in brain microstructure and may suggest a brain basis for psychiatric symptoms and mental illness after mTBI...
- Altered amygdala activation during face processing in Iraqi and Afghanistani war veteransAlan N Simmons
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Biol Mood Anxiety Disord 1:6. 2011..abstract:..
- Combat-exposed war veterans at risk for suicide show hyperactivation of prefrontal cortex and anterior cingulate during error processingScott Matthews
VA San Diego Healthcare System, La Jolla, San Diego, CA 92093 0603, USA
Psychosom Med 74:471-5. 2012..We hypothesized that combat veterans with a history of SI relative to those without such a history would show altered activation in the anterior cingulate cortex and related circuitry during self-monitoring...
- Decreased functional coupling of the amygdala and supragenual cingulate is related to increased depression in unmedicated individuals with current major depressive disorderScott C Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, United States
J Affect Disord 111:13-20. 2008..The aim of this study was to examine the degree to which alterations in amygdala-cingulate FC relate to severity of current depressive symptoms in a group of depressed individuals without significant co-morbidities...
- Dissociation of inhibition from error processing using a parametric inhibitory task during functional magnetic resonance imagingScott C Matthews
Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Neuroreport 16:755-60. 2005....
- Depressive symptoms are associated with increased systemic vascular resistance to stressScott C Matthews
University of California, San Diego, Department of Psychiatry, San Diego, California, USA
Psychosom Med 67:509-13. 2005..In the current study, subjects with varying degrees of depressive symptoms performed a stress task while CV reactivity was measured. We hypothesized that high levels of depressive symptoms would be associated with altered CV reactivity...
- The effects of loss versus alteration of consciousness on inhibition-related brain activity among individuals with a history of blast-related concussionScott Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, CA, USA
Psychiatry Res 191:76-9. 2011..LOC versus AOC subjects displayed altered ventromedial prefrontal cortex activity, which correlated with somatic symptom severity-findings which may suggest a neural correlate of impaired self awareness after LOC...
- Inhibition-related activity in subgenual cingulate is associated with symptom severity in major depressionScott Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA, United States
Psychiatry Res 172:1-6. 2009..Among MDD individuals, inhibition-related subgenual activation correlated with depressive symptom severity, implicating subgenual ACC in inhibitory control processes related to clinical depression...
- Heritability of anterior cingulate response to conflict: an fMRI study in female twinsScott C Matthews
Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, CA, USA
Neuroimage 38:223-7. 2007..These results suggest an endophenotype that may be applied to various psychiatric disorders that are both highly heritable and associated with altered dACC function...
- Escitalopram attenuates posterior cingulate activity during self-evaluation in healthy volunteersScott C Matthews
Research Service, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Psychiatry Res 182:81-7. 2010..These results show that SSRIs change medial cortical activity and may alter self-evaluation...
- A multimodal imaging study in U.S. veterans of Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom with and without major depression after blast-related concussionScott C Matthews
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, USA
Neuroimage 54:S69-75. 2011....
- Selective activation of the nucleus accumbens during risk-taking decision makingScott C Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA
Neuroreport 15:2123-7. 2004..These findings may provide target neural systems to study in subjects who exhibit problematic risk-taking behaviors and may partially explain why certain risky behaviors occur...
- The internet for medical information about cancer: help or hindrance?Scott C Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, USA
Psychosomatics 44:100-3. 2003..The authors tested a strategy for screening Internet sites to identify those that provide scientifically accurate information regarding complementary/alternative medicine treatments commonly used by cancer patients...
- Contribution of functional neuroimaging to understanding neuropsychiatric side effects of interferon in hepatitis CScott C Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Psychosomatics 45:281-6. 2004....
- Cortical and subcortical brain regions involved in rule-based category learningJ Vincent Filoteo
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Neuroreport 16:111-5. 2005..Results are consistent with theories suggesting that a frontal-striatal circuit is involved in rule-based category learning...
- Right anterior insula hypoactivity during anticipation of homeostatic shifts in major depressive disorderIrina A Strigo
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, 3350 La Jolla Village Dr, Building 13, MC 9151 B, La Jolla CA 92161, USA
Psychosom Med 72:316-23. 2010..Although abnormal insula activity during aversive anticipation has been observed in individuals with MDD, the extent to which shifts in homeostatic state during anticipation affect insular activity in MDD subjects has not been reported...
- Adolescents with major depression demonstrate increased amygdala activationTony T Yang
University of California, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 49:42-51. 2010....
- A factor analysis of different temperament domains in a border region in rural Southern CaliforniaAlvaro Camacho
Sun Valley Behavioral and Research Center, Imperial, CA, USA
J Affect Disord 126:46-8. 2010..Understanding of these temperaments can help understanding psychiatric status and therapeutic needs of a patient population. As the Latino population grows providers need to become more familiar with their psychiatric status...
- Neural correlates of altered pain response in women with posttraumatic stress disorder from intimate partner violenceIrina A Strigo
University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, California 92161, USA
Biol Psychiatry 68:442-50. 2010..The aim of this study was to examine the neurobehavioral correlates of experimental pain in women with IPV-related PTSD...
- Depressed adolescents demonstrate greater subgenual anterior cingulate activityTony T Yang
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Neuroreport 20:440-4. 2009..These results establish for the first time abnormal functioning of the sgACC in depressed adolescents and have important implications for understanding the underlying neural correlates and potential treatments of adolescent depression...
- Association of major depressive disorder with altered functional brain response during anticipation and processing of heat painIrina A Strigo
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, 3350 La Jolla Village Dr, Bldg 13, MC 9151 B, La Jolla, CA 92161, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:1275-84. 2008..Chronic pain and depression are highly comorbid conditions, yet little is known about the neurobiological basis of pain processing in major depressive disorder (MDD)...
- Functional activation and neural networks in women with posttraumatic stress disorder related to intimate partner violenceAlan N Simmons
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, and VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92037, USA
Biol Psychiatry 64:681-90. 2008..Victims of IPV are often preoccupied by the anticipation of impending harm. This investigation tested the hypothesis that IPV-related PTSD individuals show exaggerated insula reactivity to the anticipation of aversive stimuli...
- Initial evidence of a failure to activate right anterior insula during affective set shifting in posttraumatic stress disorderAlan Simmons
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
Psychosom Med 71:373-7. 2009..An altered ability to monitor or modulate interoception as it relates to subjective experience may provide a mechanistic explanation for the development of some forms of psychiatric illness...
- Anxiety vulnerability is associated with altered anterior cingulate response to an affective appraisal taskAlan Simmons
Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, The Anxiety and Traumatic Stress Disorders Program, Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92037 0985, USA
Neuroreport 19:1033-7. 2008..Collectively, these data indicate that anxious individuals activate the dorsal and ventral components of the ACC differently during affective appraisal...
- Use of GHB compounds by HIV-positive individualsAlvaro Camacho
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of California San Diego, 8677 Villa La Jolla Drive, 1106, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Am J Addict 13:120-7. 2004..More controlled studies are needed to evaluate long-term effects of dietary compounds containing GHB, especially among HIV-positive individuals who are actively receiving antiretroviral treatment...
- Functional subdivisions within anterior cingulate cortex and their relationship to autonomic nervous system functionScott C Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA 92093, USA
Neuroimage 22:1151-6. 2004....
- Anticipation of emotionally aversive visual stimuli activates right insulaAlan Simmons
Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0985, USA
Neuroreport 15:2261-5. 2004..These findings indicate that common neural circuitry is involved in the anticipation of (and, perhaps, the subjective experience of anticipating) aversive affective and noxious physical stimuli...
- Attenuation of T-lymphocyte demargination and adhesion molecule expression in response to moderate exercise in physically fit individualsSuzi Hong
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093 0804, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 98:1057-63. 2005..Being physically fit may offset exaggerated immune cell responses to stress...
- Use of herbal medications among 200 psychiatric outpatients: prevalence, patterns of use, and potential dangersScott C Matthews
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 25:24-6. 2003..These data are consistent with reports from other patient populations. It is important for psychiatrists to ask all patients about their use of herbs and provide education about potentially dangerous drug-herb interactions...
- Affective ambiguity for a group recruits ventromedial prefrontal cortexAlan Simmons
Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, University of California San Diego, 92037, USA
Neuroimage 29:655-61. 2006..This supports the dissociation of the ACC into dorsal cognitive and ventral affective divisions, and suggests that the ventromedial PFC may play a critical role in appraising affective tone in a complex display of multiple human faces...
- Anticipation of aversive visual stimuli is associated with increased insula activation in anxiety-prone subjectsAlan Simmons
Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, USA
Biol Psychiatry 60:402-9. 2006....
- Intolerance of uncertainty correlates with insula activation during affective ambiguityAlan Simmons
Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, USA
Neurosci Lett 430:92-7. 2008..Previously observed insula hyperactivity in anxiety disorder individuals may therefore be directly linked to altered processes of uncertainty...
- Adolescent subgenual anterior cingulate activity is related to harm avoidanceTony T Yang
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, California 92123, USA
Neuroreport 20:19-23. 2009..Greater harm avoidance levels were significantly associated with increased inhibition-related sgACC activity. These results establish, for the first time, a link between personality and differential sgACC activation in adolescents...
- Efficacy of noradrenergic and serotonergic antidepressants in chronic back pain: a preliminary concentration-controlled trialJ Hampton Atkinson
Department of Psychiatry, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:135-42. 2007....
- Increased amygdala activation is related to heart rate during emotion processing in adolescent subjectsTony T Yang
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, United States
Neurosci Lett 428:109-14. 2007..Finally, the results of the present study lay the foundation for future research to investigate whether adolescents with mood or anxiety disorders show an altered coupling between processing emotionally salient events and ANS activity...
- Increased affective bias revealed using experimental graded heat stimuli in young depressed adults: evidence of "emotional allodynia"Irina A Strigo
Department of Psychiatry, Laboratory of Biological Dynamics and Theoretical Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 8950 Villa La Jolla Dr, Suite C213, La Jolla, CA 92037 0985, USA
Psychosom Med 70:338-44. 2008..Existing evidence indicates that MDD may be associated with altered pain processing. However, the extent to which alterations in experimentally controlled heat pain sensations are related to increased affective bias in MDD is unknown...
- The relationship between amygdala activation and passive exposure time to an aversive cue during a continuous performance taskIrina A Strigo
University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
PLoS ONE 5:e15093. 2010..We suggest that amygdala activation during negative anticipatory processing depends directly on the passive exposure time to the negative cue...
- Greater anterior insula activation during anticipation of food images in women recovered from anorexia nervosa versus controlsTyson Oberndorfer
University of California at San Diego, Department of Psychiatry, MC 0603, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, School of Medicine, 13001 E, 17th Place, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Psychiatry Res 214:132-41. 2013..Finally, these findings raise the possibility that enhanced anterior insula anticipatory response to food cues in recovered AN could contribute to exaggerated sensitivity and anxiety related to food and eating. ..
- Hormone replacement therapy does not affect 24-h ambulatory blood pressure in healthy non-smoking postmenopausal womenPaul J Mills
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Blood Press Monit 8:57-61. 2003..Important interindividual factors that affect blood pressure, such as smoking, body mass and sodium intake, may account for the conflicting findings seen in studies examining the effects of HRT on blood pressure...
- Altered BOLD Response during Inhibitory and Error Processing in Adolescents with Anorexia NervosaChristina Wierenga
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e92017. 2014..However, the degree to which these functional brain alterations are related to disease state and whether error processing is altered in AN individuals is unknown...
- Use of GHB compounds among college studentsAlvaro Camacho
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, California 92093 0804, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 31:601-7. 2005..GHB compounds are commonly used among college students. Given the different reasons for use according to gender and sexual orientation, prevention programs need to sculpt their message according to the target audience...
- Relationship between central obesity and cardiovascular hemodynamic indices in postmenopausal womenNoha H Farag
Fertil Steril 81:465-7. 2004..In a sample of healthy postmenopausal women, greater central body fat distribution was associated with higher peripheral resistance, triglycerides, and total cholesterol as well as lower cardiac and stroke indexes...
- Ethnicity and use of alternative products in psychiatric patientsBernardo Ng
Sun Valley Behavioral Medical Center, 300 S Imperial Ave, Suite 9, El Centro, CA 92243, USA
Psychosomatics 47:408-13. 2006..These results may increase awareness among healthcare providers regarding the usage frequency of such complementary/alternative medications products and the different usage patterns across ethnic groups...