Affiliation: University of Kentucky
- Breast cancer endocrine resistance: how growth factor signaling and estrogen receptor coregulators modulate responseRachel Schiff
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 9:447S-54S. 2003..Thus, the interactions of these diverse elements are essential considerations in defining new predictive and therapeutic tools...
- Tamoxifen resistance in breast tumors is driven by growth factor receptor signaling with repression of classic estrogen receptor genomic functionSuleiman Massarweh
Department of Internal Medicine, Markey Cancer Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
Cancer Res 68:826-33. 2008..This study provides a rationale to combine HER inhibitors with tamoxifen in clinical studies, even in tumors that do not initially overexpress EGFR/HER2...
- Mechanisms of tumor regression and resistance to estrogen deprivation and fulvestrant in a model of estrogen receptor-positive, HER-2/neu-positive breast cancerSuleiman Massarweh
Department of Internal Medicine and Markey Cancer Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
Cancer Res 66:8266-73. 2006..Combining endocrine therapy with EGFR/HER-2/neu inhibitors should be tested in clinical breast cancer, but a more complete blockade of EGFR/HER-2/neu may be optimal...
- A phase II study of combined fulvestrant and everolimus in patients with metastatic estrogen receptor (ER)-positive breast cancer after aromatase inhibitor (AI) failureSuleiman Massarweh
The Department of Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 143:325-32. 2014..Since not all patients experience benefit, and in view of potential toxicities, biomarker examination is critical to help select patients most likely to benefit from this strategy in future studies. ..
- A phase II neoadjuvant trial of anastrozole, fulvestrant, and gefitinib in patients with newly diagnosed estrogen receptor positive breast cancerSuleiman Massarweh
The Department of Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 129:819-27. 2011..02). RNA microarray data showed a corresponding decrease in the expression of cell cycle genes. These results suggest that AFG was an effective neoadjuvant therapy and consistently reduced proliferation in ER-positive tumors...
- Unraveling the mechanisms of endocrine resistance in breast cancer: new therapeutic opportunitiesSuleiman Massarweh
Department of Medicine, Markey Cancer Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
Clin Cancer Res 13:1950-4. 2007....
- A prognostic model of early breast cancer relapse after standard adjuvant therapy and comparison with metastatic disease on initial presentationLi Chen
Markey Cancer Center, University of Kentucky, cc452, 800 Rose Street, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 136:565-72. 2012..2, 4.4, and 6.3 %, respectively. Our proposed model can be used to select patients at high-risk of early relapse who could benefit from enrollment on clinical trials with novel therapies designed for this group...
- HIV-related Hodgkin's disease with central nervous system involvement and association with Epstein-Barr virusSuleiman Massarweh
Department of Medicine, Division of Oncology Hematology, Ben Taub General Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Hematol 72:216-9. 2003..Extranodal presence of Hodgkin's disease in patients with HIV infection is probably related to immunosuppression, and physicians treating this illness should be alert to the potential of unusual sites of involvement...
- Resolution of extensive leptomeningeal metastasis and clinical spinal cord compression from breast cancer using weekly docetaxel chemotherapyBethany Wilson
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky and Markey Cancer Center, Roach Bldg, cc452, 800 Rose St, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 131:343-6. 2012..Studying patterns of disease relapse in patients who had received adjuvant weekly taxanes may provide insights into this hypothesis...
- Mechanisms of tamoxifen resistance: increased estrogen receptor-HER2/neu cross-talk in ER/HER2-positive breast cancerJiang Shou
The Breast Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:926-35. 2004..We used a breast cancer model system with high expression of AIB1 and HER2 to investigate the possible mechanisms underlying this resistance...
- Resistance to endocrine therapy in breast cancer: exploiting estrogen receptor/growth factor signaling crosstalkSuleiman Massarweh
The Breast Center, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, BCM 600, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Endocr Relat Cancer 13:S15-24. 2006..Ongoing clinical trials of endocrine therapy combined with growth factor pathway inhibitors or their downstream signaling elements promise to further improve the present care for breast cancer patients...
- Development of resistance to targeted therapies transforms the clinically associated molecular profile subtype of breast tumor xenograftsChad J Creighton
The Dan L Duncan Cancer Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Room N1230 02, One Baylor Plaza BCM 600, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Res 68:7493-501. 2008..Over time, the molecular phenotype of breast cancer can change...
- Crosstalk between estrogen receptor and growth factor receptor pathways as a cause for endocrine therapy resistance in breast cancerC Kent Osborne
Breast Center, Baylor College of Medicine and The Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030 3798, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:865s-70s. 2005..This process can be delayed or reversed by simultaneous treatment with growth factor pathway inhibitors. This strategy is now being tested in clinical trials...
- Treatment of human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-overexpressing breast cancer xenografts with multiagent HER-targeted therapyGrazia Arpino
Breast Center, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:694-705. 2007..We investigated whether blockade of all HER homo- and heterodimer pairs by combined treatment with several inhibitors could more effectively inhibit tumor growth in such models...
- Prevalence of hormone receptors and HER2/neu in breast cancer cases in JordanMaher A Sughayer
Department of Pathology, King Hussein Cancer Center, Amman, 11941, Jordan
Pathol Oncol Res 12:83-6. 2006....