Genomes and Genes
Christopher J Martyniuk
Affiliation: University of Florida
- Souders C, Liang X, Wang X, Ector N, Zhao Y, Martyniuk C. High-throughput assessment of oxidative respiration in fish embryos: Advancing adverse outcome pathways for mitochondrial dysfunction. Aquat Toxicol. 2018;199:162-173 pubmed publisher..High throughput bioenergetics assays conducted using whole embryos are expected to support adverse outcome pathways for mitochondrial dysfunction. ..
- Loughery J, Kidd K, Mercer A, Martyniuk C. Part B: Morphometric and transcriptomic responses to sub-chronic exposure to the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon phenanthrene in the fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas). Aquat Toxicol. 2018;199:77-89 pubmed publisher..We suggest that altered energy homeostasis may be adversely affecting reproductive efforts, as impaired reproduction has been observed in other studies investigating polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. ..
- Cowie A, Wood R, Chishti Y, Feswick A, Loughery J, Martyniuk C. Transcript variability and physiological correlates in the fathead minnow ovary: Implications for sample size, and experimental power. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2015;187:22-30 pubmed publisher..Molecular approaches in fish are increasingly used to assess biological impacts of chemical stressors; however additional studies are required that determine how molecular variability relates to higher level biological endpoints. ..
- Liang X, Feswick A, Simmons D, Martyniuk C. Reprint of: Environmental toxicology and omics: A question of sex. J Proteomics. 2018;: pubmed publisher..Transcriptomic and proteomic studies also reveal that cell processes affected by chemicals can differ due to sex, and this can undoubtedly lead to sex-specific physiological responses. ..
- Loughery J, Kidd K, Mercer A, Martyniuk C. Part A: Temporal and dose-dependent transcriptional responses in the liver of fathead minnows following short term exposure to the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon phenanthrene. Aquat Toxicol. 2018;199:90-102 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that transcriptome networks associated with hepatic lipid metabolism are rapidly affected by phenanthrene, and this may indirectly reduce resources available for reproductive efforts. ..
- Wood R, Crowley E, Martyniuk C. Developmental profiles and expression of the DNA methyltransferase genes in the fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas) following exposure to di-2-ethylhexyl phthalate. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2016;42:7-18 pubmed publisher..This study offers new insight into the roles of the dnmt enzymes during FHM development. ..
- Ornostay A, Marr J, Loughery J, Martyniuk C. Transcriptional networks associated with 5-alpha-dihydrotestosterone in the fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas) ovary. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2016;225:23-32 pubmed publisher..This study increases knowledge regarding the roles of DHT and androgens in general in the teleost ovary and identifies molecular signaling pathways that may be associated with increased E2 production. ..
- Dreier D, Loughery J, Denslow N, Martyniuk C. The influence of breeding strategy, reproductive stage, and tissue type on transcript variability in fish. Comp Biochem Physiol Part D Genomics Proteomics. 2016;19:151-158 pubmed publisher..The results of this study should be used in conjunction with other experimental and sampling recommendations to optimize the use of molecular endpoints in regulatory ecotoxicology and environmental monitoring programs. ..
- Martyniuk C, Doperalski N, Feswick A, Prucha M, Kroll K, Barber D, et al. Transcriptional networks associated with the immune system are disrupted by organochlorine pesticides in largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) ovary. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;177:405-16 pubmed publisher..The interaction between the reproductive and immune systems should be considered in future studies on these legacy and persistent pesticides. ..
- Martyniuk C, Doperalski N, Prucha M, Zhang J, Kroll K, Conrow R, et al. High contaminant loads in Lake Apopka's riparian wetland disrupt gene networks involved in reproduction and immune function in largemouth bass. Comp Biochem Physiol Part D Genomics Proteomics. 2016;19:140-150 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that (1) LMB inhabiting the Apopka ponds showed disrupted reproduction and immune responses and that (2) gene expression profiles provided site-specific information by discriminating LMB from different macro-habitats. ..
- Zubcevic J, Baker A, Martyniuk C. Transcriptional networks in rodent models support a role for gut-brain communication in neurogenic hypertension: a review of the evidence. Physiol Genomics. 2017;49:327-338 pubmed publisher..Lastly, we present novel transcriptome networks that may contribute to a neurogenic origin of HTN. Using this framework, new therapeutic targets can be proposed and investigated in treatment strategies. ..
- Cowie A, Sarty K, Mercer A, Koh J, Kidd K, Martyniuk C. Molecular networks related to the immune system and mitochondria are targets for the pesticide dieldrin in the zebrafish (Danio rerio) central nervous system. J Proteomics. 2017;157:71-82 pubmed publisher..These data contribute in a significant way to developing a molecular framework for pesticide induced neurotoxicity. ..
- Feswick A, Munkittrick K, Martyniuk C. Estrogen-responsive gene networks in the teleost liver: What are the key molecular indicators?. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;56:366-374 pubmed publisher..We propose that screening chemicals for estrogenicity using interacting genes within a defined expression network will improve sensitivity, accuracy, and reduce the number of animals required for endocrine disruption assessments. ..
- Wang X, Souders C, Zhao Y, Martyniuk C. Mitochondrial bioenergetics and locomotor activity are altered in zebrafish (Danio rerio) after exposure to the bipyridylium herbicide diquat. Toxicol Lett. 2018;283:13-20 pubmed publisher..This study improves mechanistic understanding of diquat in fish at early stages of development and presents evidence that diquat disrupts mitochondrial bioenergetics and behavior. ..
- Zhang J, Laurence Souders C, Denslow N, Martyniuk C. Quercetin, a natural product supplement, impairs mitochondrial bioenergetics and locomotor behavior in larval zebrafish (Danio rerio). Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;327:30-38 pubmed publisher..Our data support the hypothesis that quercetin may affect locomotion and induce deformities in zebrafish larvae by diminishing ATP production and by altering the expression of transcripts related to muscle formation and activity. ..
- Wang X, Fan L, Wang S, Wang Y, Yan L, Zheng S, et al. Relationship between acute and chronic toxicity for prevalent organic pollutants in Vibrio fischeri based upon chemical mode of action. J Hazard Mater. 2017;338:458-465 pubmed publisher..Pronounced differences for the antibiotics were not only due to the difference in bioconcentration, but also due to a predicted difference in MOAs during acute and chronic exposures. ..
- Sarty K, Cowie A, Martyniuk C. The legacy pesticide dieldrin acts as a teratogen and alters the expression of dopamine transporter and dopamine receptor 2a in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;194:37-47 pubmed publisher..This is an important consideration when incorporating transcriptomics into embryo testing as expression levels can change with removal of the chorion prior to exposure. ..
- Liang X, Feswick A, Simmons D, Martyniuk C. Environmental toxicology and omics: A question of sex. J Proteomics. 2018;172:152-164 pubmed publisher..Transcriptomic and proteomic studies also reveal that cell processes affected by chemicals can differ due to sex, and this can undoubtedly lead to sex-specific physiological responses. ..
- Wang X, Souders C, Zhao Y, Martyniuk C. Paraquat affects mitochondrial bioenergetics, dopamine system expression, and locomotor activity in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2018;191:106-117 pubmed publisher..This study improves mechanistic understanding into the toxic actions of paraquat on early developmental stages. ..
- Liang X, Souders C, Zhang J, Martyniuk C. Tributyltin induces premature hatching and reduces locomotor activity in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos/larvae at environmentally relevant levels. Chemosphere. 2017;189:498-506 pubmed publisher..e. timing of hatch and locomotor behavior) are more sensitive to environmentally-relevant concentrations of TBT compared to the molecular and metabolic endpoints examined here. ..
- Schmidt J, Rushin A, Boyda J, Souders C, Martyniuk C. Dieldrin-induced neurotoxicity involves impaired mitochondrial bioenergetics and an endoplasmic reticulum stress response in rat dopaminergic cells. Neurotoxicology. 2017;63:1-12 pubmed publisher..This study presents mechanistic insight into pesticide-induced mitochondrial dysfunction using a chemical that is reported to be associated to a higher risk for neurodegenerative disease. ..
- Dreier D, Denslow N, Martyniuk C. Computational analysis of the ToxCast estrogen receptor agonist assays to predict vitellogenin induction by chemicals in male fish. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;53:177-183 pubmed publisher..The integrated model also provided comparable performance to most assays. Thus, the ToxCast ER agonist assays and model may be useful to identify endocrine disruptors and predict reproductive outcomes in fish. ..