Laura F Martin
Affiliation: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
- Alpha-7 nicotinic receptor agonists: potential new candidates for the treatment of schizophreniaLaura F Martin
Department of Psychiatry, Department of Veterans Affairs and University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, C268 71, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 174:54-64. 2004..This inhibitory process, which involves the alpha(7) nicotinic receptor mediated release of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) by hippocampal interneurons, represents a potential new target for therapeutic intervention in schizophrenia...
- Nicotine enhances automatic temporal processing as measured by the mismatch negativity waveformLaura F Martin
Research Service, Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, C268 71, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 11:698-706. 2009..Mismatch negativity (MMN) has been used as a physiological measure of automatic temporal processing to avoid this potential confound...
- Physiology of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and schizoaffective disorderLaura F Martin
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, 4200 East Ninth Avenue, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Am J Psychiatry 164:1900-6. 2007..A second aim was to determine whether subjects with schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type, were neurophysiologically more similar to subjects with schizophrenia or subjects with bipolar disorder...
- Sensory gating and alpha-7 nicotinic receptor gene allelic variants in schizoaffective disorder, bipolar typeLaura F Martin
Department of Psychiatry, Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 144:611-4. 2007..The purpose of this study was to determine if CHRNA7 promoter allelic variants are also associated with abnormal P50 ratios in persons with schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type...
- Effects of an alpha 7-nicotinic agonist on default network activity in schizophreniaJason R Tregellas
Department of Psychiatry, Denver VA Medical Center, VISN19 MIRECC, Colorado, USA
Biol Psychiatry 69:7-11. 2011..This study examined the effects of DMXB-A on default network activity as a biomarker for drug effects on pathologic brain function associated with schizophrenia...
- Functional magnetic resonance imaging of effects of a nicotinic agonist in schizophreniaJason R Tregellas
Department of Psychiatry, Denver VA Medical Center VISN19 MIRECC and University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 35:938-42. 2010..Imaging of drug response is useful in planning future clinical tests of this compound and other nicotinic agonists for schizophrenia...
- Effects of nicotine on hippocampal and cingulate activity during smooth pursuit eye movement in schizophreniaJody Tanabe
Department of Radiology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Biol Psychiatry 59:754-61. 2006..The purpose of this work was to determine if nicotine differentially affects brain activity in schizophrenic and control subjects during pursuit eye tracking...
- Nicotine increases brain functional network efficiencyKorey P Wylie
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Bldg 500, Mail Stop F546, 13001 East 17th Place, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Neuroimage 63:73-80. 2012..These changes in network topology may be one mechanism by which cholinergic therapies improve brain function...
- Initial phase 2 trial of a nicotinic agonist in schizophreniaRobert Freedman
Department of Psychiatry, Denver VA Medical Center and University of Colorado, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:1040-7. 2008..The agent 3-(2,4-dimethoxybenzylidene) anabaseine (DMXB-A) is a partial alpha(7)-nicotinic agonist and can be taken orally. A phase 1 trial showed evidence for cognitive enhancement in schizophrenia...
- FMRI of response to nicotine during a smooth pursuit eye movement task in schizophreniaJason R Tregellas
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:391-3. 2005..This study used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to examine changes in brain hemodynamic response associated with nicotine administration during a smooth pursuit eye movement task in subjects with schizophrenia...
- Schizophrenia and the alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptorLaura F Martin
Research Service, VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, Denver, Colorado 80220, USA
Int Rev Neurobiol 78:225-46. 2007..alpha7 Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonists appear to be viable candidates for the treatment of cognitive disturbances in schizophrenia...
- Gray matter volume differences and the effects of smoking on gray matter in schizophreniaJason R Tregellas
Research Service, Denver VA Medical Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Schizophr Res 97:242-9. 2007..The present study used voxel-based morphometry (VBM) to examine differences in gray matter in subjects with schizophrenia and evaluate the effects of smoking on this measure...
- Nicotine effects on default mode network during resting stateJody Tanabe
Department of Radiology, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Denver, CO, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 216:287-95. 2011..It is unknown if these pharmacological effects also occur in the absence of effortful processing...